Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:28 pm 

cleon wrote:
DM aint got a Clue

Right.

You shouldn't be jealous, Cleon. Instead of being jealous you should work harder at creating some original, worthwhile music. Play- don't talk.
The more you go on and on about simplistic stuff like the pentatonic scale, names of notes, keys etc- the more it shows you can't actually play. Go polish a fretboard or something. Leave the music to guys like Poly who are actually working out their own unique approach to it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:43 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Why do I bother?
Seems like you like too have the last word that's why :P All you told me in your last post was
chromatic scale Wow i feel insulted .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:48 pm 

cleon wrote:
All you told me in your last post was
chromatic scale Wow .

Listen to Poly's compositions, he'll tell you a lot more.

cleon wrote:
i feel insulted

You are insulted.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:55 pm 

Okay, Cleon, you may not believe this, but I am trying to understand where you're coming from. I make no claim to the authority of the music language that I speak. How and why I have learnt to communicate musical ideas over the years is for the same practical reasons people bother to learn everyday English, so that they can communicate ideas to each other and cooperate in their daily affairs. As a teacher I've found that personal abuse never translates to positive educational outcomes. You seem to think that someone disagreeing with you should automatically be received as an insult and should be followed by streams of abuse.

If we have a communication mismatch, no amount of jumping to conclusions is going to help figure it out. You say I'm interested in having the last word, but even if I wanted that, I'd have to end up the last person remaining in all of existence. That's a chilling thought - certainly not one that motivates me toward having the last word. Communication is interplay Cleon - there doesn't have to be a winner or a last word. I converse in life in general in the vain hope that it will never end. I'm certainly not trying to insult you, but you seem to readily hurl abuse around at the drop of a hat. You're not an easy person to communicate with.

Do you know what the term grace note means?

Do you think that if one uses the pentatonic concept to describe something it's only valid if the entire composition is purely pentatonic?

Earlier I was not talking about the chromatic scale. The chromatic scale, in and of itself is useless - you still need reasons in terms of the order of notes and rhythms you might choose, to end up with a result you or anyone might find musical.

One can start with a phrase based on the pentatonic scale D F G A C and then, as a nuanced variation, flatten the fifth, just because it sounds cool.

You talk about music like there are rules. Here is a rule that was written in some book, some time during the latter half of the 20th C, to describe 20th C music. Paraphrasing: "Any note can follow any other note and any chord can follow any other chord." The book in which this was written then goes on to describe the kind of immersion and study in the widest and deepest variety of musical idioms, that would help to develop the kind of sensitivity required, to enable use of that rule to lead to some meaningful and enjoyable result, for both the composer and his audience.

And communicating about the result will involve a complex patchwork of musical terms, most of which are long removed from their original coinage.

Where are you coming from Cleon?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:55 pm 

You need too change your name too Politically Correct.
I quote you on this
[You talk about music like there are rules} Blah Blah
you bet you ass if what needs too be played is what is wrote,Teach that,why you going overboard about rules in your case saying there ain't none Politically Correct?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:16 pm 

polydigm wrote:

Wales :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:20 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
polydigm wrote:

South Wales you cheeky monkey. :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:29 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
polydigm wrote:

South Wales you cheeky monkey. :wink: :mrgreen:

Yep and there ain't nothing new about it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:55 pm 

polydigm wrote:
One can start with a phrase based on the pentatonic scale D F G A C...

That's a pentatonic MINOR scale, genius. :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:18 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
polydigm wrote:

Good call next thing he be saying SemiTones are pentatonic :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9N8Qi6zLSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:22 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
...Go polish a fretboard or something...

Is that like "Now go home and get your fuckin' shine box"?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:29 pm 

:|

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:39 pm 

semi tones http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6pvKCc0S8w

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:54 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
polydigm wrote:

It doesn't matter what you call it if you suck.

Knowledge of scales is worthless when you have no original ideas. It's the guys who are never gonna create a damn thing that sit around arguing about names of scales. Say what you will about Poly's compositions, at least he's got some! Cleon is happy to lecture others about simplistic stuff like names of scales but yet I've never heard him play. What you play is all that matters. Naming scales is easy. Playing something unique with those scales is the challenge.

(btw, DB, your signature is an indictment of capitalism. That is just an image on the shirt it's not the man himself. What he did has nothing to do with what Corporate America did with his image. Don't get me wrong, I'm a capitalist. I see no alternative to supply and demand. But the caption 'neath your pic uses the words "wind up" as if it's all said and done. That's a small minded statement. It's not over. Nothings over. Nothing is wound up. The human race is still going. Do you really think America/The Gap is going to stand 1,000 years from now and still be selling that t-shirt?)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:08 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Knowledge of scales is worthless when you have no original ideas. It's the guys who are never gonna create a damn thing that sit around arguing about names of scales. Say what you will about Poly's compositions, at least he's got some! Cleon is happy to lecture others about simplistic stuff like names of scales but yet I've never heard him play. What you play is all that matters. Naming scales is easy. Playing something unique with those scales is the challenge.

I have to agree with your basic theme here DM, just take out the names and it's the idea that matters.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:11 pm 

cleon wrote:
I quote you on this
you bet you ass if what needs too be played is what is wrote,Teach that,why you going overboard about rules in your case saying there ain't none Politically Correct?
It's clear to me that you didn't understand a word of what I wrote and all you do want is an argument. If I call you a fucking retard, is that politically correct?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:16 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
polydigm wrote:

It doesn't matter what you call it if you suck.

(btw, DB, your signature is an indictment of capitalism. That is just an image on the shirt it's not the man himself. What he did has nothing to do with what Corporate America did with his image. Don't get me wrong, I'm a capitalist. I see no alternative to supply and demand. But the caption 'neath your pic uses the words "wind up" as if it's all said and done. That's a small minded statement. It's not over. Nothings over. Nothing is wound up. The human race is still going. Do you really think America/The Gap is going to stand 1,000 years from now and still be selling that t-shirt?)

Congratulations! All your above statements COMPLETELY miss my points. And your generalizations of my points are so far reaching and ultra-ridiculous, that they're, as always, quite comical...

Btw, I've written compositions - which is something you wouldn't have know if I hadn't have told you just now, you judgemental asshat...:roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:35 am 

What's your point?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:55 am 

Clearly, I side with Poly and downer as opposed to two certain other individuals. Can't really argue with netiquette challenged folks nor market fundamentalists.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:40 pm 

Dumbo who gives a fuck who you agree with Find you own argument.
And saying there are no rules too music proves how stupid you are all the old Classical Orchestra Composers writing Staff Music in key's and different Clefs and time and Feel Notation and naming scores after them and it's nothing even FZ did that.only lately main stream Music sucks because Assholes think they can out do real talent with BULLSHIT it's only what you feel yer right,they simplified music with newly invented Common time and so many bars 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:42 pm 

polydigm wrote:
cleon wrote:
I quote you on this
It's clear to me that you didn't understand a word of what I wrote and all you do want is an argument. If I call you a fucking retard, is that politically correct?
I understand though i know better that Argue with a Politically Correct Faggot.Words are words Assholes are Assholes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:17 pm 

I'm reading through this right now. I don't understand hardly any of it, but I'm gonna start quoting it a lot and sound real clever.
http://www.zappa-analysis.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:55 pm 

Basically...
Cleon is claiming that words existed before sound and that musical "rules" existed before music.

The story of music, when controlled by the upper class, is filled with repression. The first music ever played had to have been improvised.

sorry about all of the edits. what remains is my original post as quoted below.

Last edited by downer mydnyte on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:14 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Basically...
Cleon is claiming that words existed before sound and that musical "rules" existed before music.

The story of music, when controlled by the upper class, is filled with repression. The first music ever played had to have been improvised.

Oh ya! I remember it man! It was a Stick and Log affair with some rock tappin' going on. Later we stretched skins and the rest is Charlie Watts baby! :shock: :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:24 pm 

I knew you were there, Kirk! I hope you had yer rulebook out when you banged on that rock with a stick.

you caught me in the middle of an edit^. I don't know if it was necessary, but.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next