Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:17 pm 

Mine also says the 12th - they must say that to everyone.

been sitting here for awhile - must be a coffee break or something

Date Description Location
Nov 5 2013 Package transferred to dest MI facility Durham, NC
Nov 5 2013 Package processed by Mail Innovations Durham, NC
Nov 4 2013 Package received for processing Durham, NC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:34 pm 

From zappateers.com:

DISC # 1

Show 3

1. Introcious 5:18
2. The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue 1:08
3. Kung Fu 1:11
4. Penguin In Bondage 4:07

Show 1

5. Exercise #4 1:58
6. Dog Breath 1:36
7. The Dog Breath Variations 1:30
8. Uncle Meat 2:27
9. RDNZL 6:17

Show 3

10. Montana 7:03
11. Your Teeth And Your Shoulders And Sometimes Your Foot Goes Like This...../Pojama Prelude 10:14
12. Dupree's Paradise 15:55

Show 1

13. All Skate/Dun-Dun-Dun (The Finnish Hit Single) 14:10

TT 72:51

DISC #2

Show 3

1. Village Of The Sun 5:40
2. Echidna's Arf (Of You) 4:22
3. Don't You Ever Wash That Thing? 9:56

Show 2

4. Big Swifty 12:58

Show 2,3

5. Farther O'Blivion 22:54

Encore, Show 1

6. Brown Shoes Don't Make It 7:33

TT 67:32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:46 pm 

Whoa, this looks like a good setlist. I'm glad "Brown Shoes" is on it. Looks like the "Finnish Hit Single" track might be something outrageous, perhaps improv/hand-signals/weirdo-deviation stuff. Now hopefully there'll be a way I can get my hands on this without dealing with MusicToday's frustrating-as-hell shipping practices, maybe it will make it soon onto the merch table of ZPZ' European tour?

10 songs in common with YCDTOSA 2 btw!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:40 pm 

darthpeepee wrote:
From zappateers.com:

DISC # 1

Show 3

1. Introcious 5:18
2. The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue 1:08
3. Kung Fu 1:11
4. Penguin In Bondage 4:07

Show 1

5. Exercise #4 1:58
6. Dog Breath 1:36
7. The Dog Breath Variations 1:30
8. Uncle Meat 2:27
9. RDNZL 6:17

Show 3

10. Montana 7:03
11. Your Teeth And Your Shoulders And Sometimes Your Foot Goes Like This...../Pojama Prelude 10:14
12. Dupree's Paradise 15:55

Show 1

13. All Skate/Dun-Dun-Dun (The Finnish Hit Single) 14:10

DISC #2

Show 3

1. Village Of The Sun 5:40
2. Echidna's Arf (Of You) 4:22
3. Don't You Ever Wash That Thing? 9:56

Show 2

4. Big Swifty 12:58

Show 2,3

5. Farther O'Blivion 22:54

Encore, Show 1

6. Brown Shoes Don't Make It 7:33

Fuck yeah!
Cant wait for this to get here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:05 pm 

Wow! Everything that I could have wanted and more.

Can't wait!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:00 pm 

dlokazip wrote:

Can't wait!

Gee Beave, your folks must of got you the Schwinn double CD deluxe ZFT model. My folks would never spring for something like that when my dad's brothers friend knows a guy who knows a guy who's a real good friend with the guy who knows another guy who can get the same one, two daze after release, for half price at some dirty dingy store in down-town LA. I always have to get a short haircut every time I went there. Lice n' the likes! Yikes!
Buy it today! It looks real spiffy in your collection. :wink: :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:08 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
dlokazip wrote:

Can't wait!

Gee Beave, your folks must of got you the Schwinn double CD deluxe ZFT model. :D

With a banana seat and sissy bar!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:03 am 

Philmore wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
dlokazip wrote:

Can't wait!

Gee Beave, your folks must of got you the Schwinn double CD deluxe ZFT model. :D

With a banana seat and sissy bar!

Sweet man! :wink: Needs a transistor radio with ear plug ins. Playing FO of course! :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:40 am 

I hope "Farther O'Blivion" has got that "Join the March & Eat My Starch" part.

Someone at Zappateers has expressed that it's a shame "Cosmik Debris" or "Mr Green Genes" aren't on it. Well, something probably had to give and if I was given a choice between "Mr Green Genes" or "Brown Shoes Don't Make It", I would take "Brown Shoes Don't Make It". Also, "Big Swifty" is certainly more of an asset than "Cosmik Debris". The latter would've most probably had the bass clarinet solo, but if the version recorded in Australia is anything to go by, it may feature a wah-wah clarinet solo in odd-time groove in addition to the customary Duke/Frank solos as on "YCDTOSA 1".

Even if this means that there won't be a single version of "Mr Green Genes" officially released that is at a faster tempo than the "Hot Rats" take, as the 1973 version is more representative of how it was played live. I only see three options: release the 1972 version, often derided as "dull and oversimplified" or, release the last 1973 North American Tour version, that sadly has Napoleon soloing on tenor sax: a huge fall-off in command and musicality* compared to Ian Underwood's alto sax/bass clarinet soloing. Or maybe one of these original MOI versions, even if original MOI has already been archive-released to death. A 1970 reunion concert with Ray Collins singing the lyrics would be an asset and it does have Underwood sax solo on it, but I doubt any of these concerts were recorded by Frank.

*1973/11/04 late show sees Bruce Fowler taking a rare trombone solo in MrGG, perhaps the only time he did so during the Roxy period. It's not really Bruce's best, but it's a real jazz solo nonetheless, just like Ian's reed solos were, and unlike Napoleon's 1973 sax solos were.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:34 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
I hope "Farther O'Blivion" has got that "Join the March & Eat My Starch" part.

Someone at Zappateers has expressed that it's a shame "Cosmik Debris" or "Mr Green Genes" aren't on it. Well, something probably had to give and if I was given a choice between "Mr Green Genes" or "Brown Shoes Don't Make It", I would take "Brown Shoes Don't Make It". Also, "Big Swifty" is certainly more of an asset than "Cosmik Debris". The latter would've most probably had the bass clarinet solo, but if the version recorded in Australia is anything to go by, it may feature a wah-wah clarinet solo in odd-time groove in addition to the customary Duke/Frank solos as on "YCDTOSA 1".

Even if this means that there won't be a single version of "Mr Green Genes" officially released that is at a faster tempo than the "Hot Rats" take, as the 1973 version is more representative of how it was played live. I only see three options: release the 1972 version, often derided as "dull and oversimplified" or, release the last 1973 North American Tour version, that sadly has Napoleon soloing on tenor sax: a huge fall-off in command and musicality* compared to Ian Underwood's alto sax/bass clarinet soloing. Or maybe one of these original MOI versions, even if original MOI has already been archive-released to death. A 1970 reunion concert with Ray Collins singing the lyrics would be an asset and it does have Underwood sax solo on it, but I doubt any of these concerts were recorded by Frank.

*1973/11/04 late show sees Bruce Fowler taking a rare trombone solo in MrGG, perhaps the only time he did so during the Roxy period. It's not really Bruce's best, but it's a real jazz solo nonetheless, just like Ian's reed solos were, and unlike Napoleon's 1973 sax solos were.

It is kind of a bummer that the Green Genes/Chunga/King Kong medley isn't on this,
but I'll get by, I have plenty of versions of it to listen to.
And I don't think I will ever need another Cosmik Debris.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:56 am 

BillyDaMt wrote:

True. The only worthwhile version would probably be the original 1972 version with only guitars, brass and the rhythm section. Which has also different lyrics, which makes the song a bit different with mixed results: on one hand, the second chorus' "I've been on the streets since Tuesday" serves to explain what kind of "troubles of his own" the narrator had, and adds a sense of vulnerability to the song. Then again: "Go sell that jive in San Francisco" is particularly harsh, it was still there up until May 1973, until the song was recorded in the studio. I'm glad "You can make more money as a butcher" line prevailed. It suggests that FZ thinks gurus need to quit their shoddy ripoff business and earn money more legitimately, rather than that the guru would go rip off some stupid people in a city he dislikes. The 1974/03/08 show where FZ advises the audience to "give the guru a finger and not give them any money" also shows to indicate that nobody, not even the people in San Fran, should ever financially validate these shoddy Mystery Men. Plus, the "Price of meat" line would be pretty meaningless without the "butcher" line after that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 am 

WEST SPRINGFIELD, MA, United States 11/07/2013 8:30 A.M. Package out for local post office delivery

ohhhh shit this is way better than the 12th that the next town over. Im going out to hunt my post man down

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:05 am 

[quote="tweezers"]Got the notice, mine was shipped 10 PM or so East Coast time last night.

I so remember watching JLP play in Princeton that spring...[/quote

Mine was received in New Jersey, so I should see it Friday or Saturday - maybe today!!!]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:20 am 

Just finished cd 1. Un-ba-weevable!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:00 am 

Mine arrived today, after a 2 day window of no updates on the UPS tracking link. So much for that generic Nov 12 arrival date.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:06 am 

Mine too is out for delivery. S/b there when I get home.

Also went to my PO box - got the Hendrix Miami Pop cd - looked thru the booklet - on page 3-4 there is a picture of Jimi walking/talking to a young Don Preston. Don't see any other Mothers in the background.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 am 

BillyDaMt wrote:

True. The only worthwhile version would probably be the original 1972 version with only guitars, brass and the rhythm section. Which has also different lyrics, which makes the song a bit different with mixed results: on one hand, the second chorus' "I've been on the streets since Tuesday" serves to explain what kind of "troubles of his own" the narrator had, and adds a sense of vulnerability to the song. Then again: "Go sell that jive in San Francisco" is particularly harsh, it was still there up until May 1973, until the song was recorded in the studio. I'm glad "You can make more money as a butcher" line prevailed. It suggests that FZ thinks gurus need to quit their shoddy ripoff business and earn money more legitimately, rather than that the guru would go rip off some stupid people in a city he dislikes. The 1974/03/08 show where FZ advises the audience to "give the guru a finger and not give them any money" also shows to indicate that nobody, not even the people in San Fran, should ever financially validate these shoddy Mystery Men. Plus, the "Price of meat" line would be pretty meaningless without the "butcher" line after that.

Yeah, I'd be down for the original version, even if just to have it officially released.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:27 am 

For those who got it, how does the audio quality compare to other live releases?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:32 am 

BillyDaMt wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:

True. The only worthwhile version would probably be the original 1972 version with only guitars, brass and the rhythm section.

Yeah, I'd be down for the original version, even if just to have it officially released.

Let's hope there will be another Petit Wazoo disc, we were promised two of them years ago after all. If that had the "Son of Mr Green Genes" on it as well, then for me it would satisfy the criterion of having a fast-paced version of the tune officially released.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:03 am 

In re: Cosmik Debris. I generally agree that another live release of this song can be redundant. But if you had to pick one live version to have, 1973 would be a good year (the best year?) to have. I haven't heard the 1972 version, but I'll take any and everything released from 1972.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:06 am 

Let's hope there will be another Petit Wazoo disc, we were promised two of them years ago after all. If that had the "Son of Mr Green Genes" on it as well, then for me it would satisfy the criterion of having a fast-paced version of the tune officially released.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

I am still hoping for Waterbury 72-

World Premere of Montana also included T-Shirts/Ugly Dots/Cosmic Debris/Don't You Ever Wash That Thing/Rollo and ID from what I remember.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 am 

I am interested in seeing the full set lists for all 3 shows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:56 pm 

Just got mail man was like you waiting for something hahaahah

Show 3
Introucious 5:18
The EDMBarbecue 1:08
Kung Fu 1:11
Penguin in Bondage 4:07

show1
Exercise #4 1:58
Dog Breath 1:36
Dog Breath Variations 1:30
Uncle Meat 2:27
RDNZL 6:17

show3
Montana 7:03
Your teeth and your shoulders sometimes your foot goes like this.../Pojama Prelude 10:14
duprees paradise 15;55

show 1
all skate/ Dun-Dun-Dun (The finnish Hit Single)

show 3
Village of the sun 5:40
Echindna's Arf (Of You) 4:22
Dont you ever wash that thing 9:56

show 2
Big Swifty 12:58

show2,3
Farther O'blivion 22:54

Encore show 1
Brown Shoes Don't Make It 7:33

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:07 pm 

cool artwork sorry dont have time to upload it each cd looks like a vault tape behind the two discs is the actual boxes the reels came out of.
Fold out pic of the band. and two stories inside not long.

Off to work now ill be cranking it all night

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:32 pm 

This is definitely one of the best releases the ZFT put out in a while. It's truly the bees knees! Get some.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next