Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:16 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
It is kind of a bummer that the Green Genes/Chunga/King Kong medley isn't on this,
but I'll get by, I have plenty of versions of it to listen to.
And I don't think I will ever need another Cosmik Debris.

Yeah. And it's a similar situation when Wild Love wasn't included on Hammersmith Odeon.

But regardless, it's going to be a fantastic release! :twisted:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:40 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:
It is kind of a bummer that the Green Genes/Chunga/King Kong medley isn't on this,

Yeah. And it's a similar situation when Wild Love wasn't included on Hammersmith Odeon.

But regardless, it's going to be a fantastic release! :twisted:

Agreed :twisted: , but is there ever going to be enough of WIEH, BN, ZA, etcetera versions to stuff our socks for life? Cosmic Debris does have that solo that's always different....just sayin'. BillyD, absence makes the heart grow fonder. If I hadn't heard any Zappa for a very-very long time. I would most likely choke up, if I heard the notes to CD playing somewhere. Never say never might apply here. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 am 

Totally great release. There must have been debate whether this would appear as a RT or not, 'cause it sounds fantastic. Props to JT and crew!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:12 am 

Oh man this is such a good listen I really love the Pojama Prelude, a nice early slowed down version of 1 of my favorite songs. And ive never heard village of the sun like this its good but i think i like the Roxy and elsewhere version. NMB singing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:11 am 

So far I have only listened to half of disc 2

Village of the Sun is the early version - different intro - much slower pace - different outro. George handles all the vocals. A nice mellow Zappa tune - lots of short soloing.

Echidna's Arf (of You) - again slower. Violen parts add something to it. Not the powerhouse we know of on Roxy but a swell rendition.

Don't You Ever Wash That Thing. - Pace is almost as fast as the Roxy. All take solos. This is one of my top 3 Zappa songs. No spoken Ruth intro. Everyone's solo smokes.

Big Swifty - This is AMAZING. Love the JLP solo - just when you think it won't get any better - FZ starts his guitar solo - one of the BEST I have ever heard.

That's all I got thru on my drive to work. Looking forward to the rest.

This how. This series is a tape trader's dream. I'd love to see at least 1 release from each tour.
Hope to see some 72 shows (he recorded Waterbury) - 73 US tour show (Waterbury again) 74 fall tour (Water...) and a Bongo Fury show.

Speaking of which how about the Miami Pop 68 show - rumor has it that the same woman who sold the video of the Hendrix set to the Hendrix folks is trying to contact the ZFT about the video her late husband shot of FZ/MOI - could there be a Road Video edition of the Road Tapes? (no enough time left in my lifetime to sync up the soundboard recordings that FZ might have tucked away).

Hats off to the ZFT for another stellar release!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:32 am 

WOW! This thing is amazing and might I be bold to say possibly the best ZFT release yet?

RDNZL and Big Swifty are just on fucking fire.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:34 am 

Bobby wrote:
So far I have only listened to half of disc 2

what are you, Japanese?

and yea, jaypfunk, I am thinking the same.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:36 am 

Wanted to hear Don't You Ever Wash That Thing and Big Swifty first.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:39 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
WOW! This thing is amazing and might I be bold to say possibly the best ZFT release yet?

RDNZL and Big Swifty are just on fucking fire.

You're sticking your neck out pretty far on this one JPF! Because of you, now i've got to go order the damn thing right now instead of waiting for a G&S music order.

You Bastard! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:42 am 

I don't think you'll be sorry. I agree with Jay.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:16 am 

Bobby wrote:
Speaking of which how about the Miami Pop 68 show - rumor has it that the same woman who sold the video of the Hendrix set to the Hendrix folks is trying to contact the ZFT about the video her late husband shot of FZ/MOI - could there be a Road Video edition of the Road Tapes? (no enough time left in my lifetime to sync up the soundboard recordings that FZ might have tucked away).

I knew this was gonna suck, ordering with Roxy Proxy, and now waiting. :P Oh well, hopefully RBP is out any day now.
About the new Hendrix stuff - the Miami CD sounds awesome, not one of his top shows, but really good. Saw the "Hear My Train" docu the other night on TV. The DVD is totally worth it for the few complete Miami tracks(great sound & video), plus a couple from Randall's Island '70. During Tax Free '68, I'm pretty sure we see a shirtless Motorhead sitting on the riser to Jimi's right. There a few stills of MOI on stage in the mini-docu about the festival which made me notice Motorhead again in Hendrix's set. DZ has a few nice comments in the Hear My Train docu too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:45 am 

All the great reviews of this is set is making me very happy.
a JLP/Mothers show has been on my bucket-list for a ZFT release forever.
I want to leave work early and hunt my postman down.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:17 am 

Quote:
Not the powerhouse we know of on Roxy but a swell rendition.

I think the reason why Roxy version is such a powerhouse, is not merely due to faster-funkier tempo, but because it features so many overdubs! FZ obviously had to do something like this if he wanted to compensate for the lack of Jean-Luc and Ian's instruments. There's only so much that can be done with a keyboard, bass, drums, guitar, trombone, tenor sax and various tuned percussion. A big band by conventional rock standards, but less orchestral by Zappa's. But you can beef it all up if you also have a) a violin plus another synthesiser, whose player also doubles on bass clarinet or b) you do a plenty of overdubs on guitar, keyboards and Bruce's sped up trombone to compensate for the lack of a).

See that's my criticism of the post-JLP band: they may have been funkier and more entertaining and more vocal-led, but texturally they had thinned out after losing two considerable front line instrumentalists. The obvious solution would've been to hire Walt Fowler on trumpet as well, but that only came later. And I better not get into what I think of NMB's saxophone abilities in 1973.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:41 am 

Quote:

If you pair this new release with the 06/25/73 Sydney soundboard you get pretty much the entire repertoire of the 1973 JLP band:

soundcheck intro, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, soundcheck blues, Cosmik Debris, Inca Roads (q: I Wanna Be Around), Montana, Yellow Snow Suite, Farther Oblivion (q: Montana), Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:45 am 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Quote:

If you pair this new release with the 06/25/73 Sydney soundboard you get pretty much the entire repertoire of the 1973 JLP band:

soundcheck intro, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, soundcheck blues, Cosmik Debris, Inca Roads (q: I Wanna Be Around), Montana, Yellow Snow Suite, Farther Oblivion (q: Montana), Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes

Good point, and I have in the past worn out a copy of this set, I ve mentioned I would spend money on a 73 OZ box set of all the shows, its my favorite run.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:31 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
See that's my criticism of the post-JLP band: they may have been funkier and more entertaining and more vocal-led, but texturally they had thinned out after losing two considerable front line instrumentalists. The obvious solution would've been to hire Walt Fowler on trumpet as well, but that only came later. And I better not get into what I think of NMB's saxophone abilities in 1973.

Albert Wing has said that he almost joined the group around this time but FZ had to drop him for budget reasons. And true, NMB had trouble, I believe he has said he and Chester were always practicing in their hotel rooms trying to master FZ's music.

BTW "Penguin In Bondage" is also an interesting comparison, since in other shows I've heard from this Ponty tour even this song sounds like it is part of a recital at Julliard.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:54 am 

So Zappa could not sustain a band bigger than 8 pieces in Fall 1973? I guess Over-Nite Sensation must've sold well enough by the beginning of '74, when Jeff Simmons joined the band again, this time as the 9th piece of the band. I'd always thought that FZ canned Wing because NMB played the tenor as well and he wasn't keen on using two tenors or only the most proficient tenor player, plus a black guy on vocals only.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am 

It's really amazing that this was recorded with 2 and 4 track recorders. Sounds fucking perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:06 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
So Zappa could not sustain a band bigger than 8 pieces in Fall 1973? I guess Over-Nite Sensation must've sold well enough by the beginning of '74, when Jeff Simmons joined the band again, this time as the 9th piece of the band.

Could be. I also suspect in some cases FZ said screw it and took on extra guys even if he would have trouble affording them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:11 am 

Have managed to listen to the entire album. Just one comment: the band sounds really aggressive and musters heaps more fiery intensity than any of the circulating boots have indicated. The rhythm section of Tom & Ralph just KILLS! And Zappa is just injecting deadly amounts of nasty guitar even in some totally unexpected places. I always thought Over-Nite Sensation sounded real boring, because the rhythm section was a bit bland, sort of a session musician funk rhythm team. That's probably the difference of only being together for a couple of months vs six months.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:14 am 

even the tympani are in stereo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:49 am 

Road Tapes Venue #2 says official release #96 on the backcover, so does Roxy by Proxy replace the ITunes BabySnakes soundtrack as #95? Sorry for being tedious.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:28 pm 

I am guessing RbP is #97 since it is coming out after.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:32 pm 

Yesterday was kind of a Zappa trifecta day for me. It all started with the preorder of the super mega deluxe package 2 CD 2 DVD reissue version of Sluggo! by Mike Keneally. I had a chance to listen to part of the 2013 remix of this album with the free download of the album. It sounds absolutely awesome.

A couple of hours later, I received my copy of Road Tapes Venue #2. I concur with the above comments that this release is one of the best by the ZFT yet. Just sounds amazing. Montana is blasting now as I type!

My day concluded with a Steve Vai concert, second row center. Fuckin'-a....what a fucking awesome concert. Got to meet him, get a bunch of stuff signed, including the songbook for his latest album and broke down and picked up the Naked Tracks Box, signed of course. My brother got his Strat signed, and Steve Vai drew some crazy hieroglyphic artwork on it with his signature. He also has signatures of Dweezil, Robin Trower, Johnny Winter and a bunch of other guitar players.

Back to Road Tapes Venue 2 - it's a great homage to George Duke. The only element that I have a criticism about is that the grand piano upper keys are mic'ed in a way that makes them distort slightly on a couple of moments when George Duke really lays into them. All in all, great release.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:42 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
The only element that I have a criticism about is that the grand piano upper keys are mic'ed in a way that makes them distort slightly on a couple of moments when George Duke really lays into them. All in all, great release.

I don't mind that at all. FZ's vocal mic is a little "hot" at times too but it sounds cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next