Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 pm 

I know running across FZ boots is getting more common, but this one that I saw today was a more a pirate than a boot. It was in a slim line case, with a booklet but no back art, but when I put it on to audition it, I knew this album. It was an EEC pressing a copy of the Fillmore 1971 album (the Ryko version) with a different booklet and disc art, but the same music. It was a silver pressed disc, not a CD-R. I did not buy it.

I assume that since this live performance is before 1973 and the show did not occur in the home country of manufacture, that some enterprising person decided that this was fair game for release into Europe, as long as it did not use the same title or the original Schenkel pencil art (probably still covered by EEC copyright law). One interesting interpretation of the "protection gap" in certain country's implementation of the EEC copyright law.

I mentioned to the seller that this was the same as the Fillmore East, June 1971 and he knew of the album once I looked it up for him on the Internet. I did not buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:50 pm 

protection-gap labels from the early 90s

Quote:
These are labels that emerged in Europe (in this case Germany) in the late '80s and early '90s, when the advent of CDs co-incided with new possibilities to exploit gaps in the copyright laws of several European countries, which often were only protecting recordings of foreign artists that were less than 20 years old. By that time, more and more classic rock recordings were becoming 20 years old or more. These companies were actually working within the limits of the law, or at least in a grey area of it, and they hurried to make some quick money before the laws were to be changed later in the 90s. In the meantime, however, they discovered new and revolutionary legal loopholes ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:00 am 

I've seen/procured protection gap CDs before, but this is the first time I've seen one that blatantly copies the disc of a commercially released product. Even though the art was different, it would be interesting to pop it into a PC and see if it comes up as the FEJ'71 Ryko ID.