Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa's Weird Side
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:08 am 

I've always had a thing for Zappa's farther-out material. I think pieces like "Nasal Retentive Calliope Music", "Dwarf Nebula", and "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" really compliment the more song-based material on those records. Actually, I think part of the genius of WRMF is the mixture of fiercely experimental sounds with beautiful melodies like "Oh No". And I actually love the screaming feedback of the title track -- I think it's the perfect conclusion for the original Mothers', at the time, last official release. That said, I love albums like Lumpy Gravy and Weasels just as much as I love Overnite Sensation or One Size Fits All. I also just have a taste for weird music -- what do you people think? :P

Post subject: Re: Zappa's Weird Side
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 am 

I've always considered "WRMF" the track as a snapshot of how some of the Mothers' concerts may have ended: everything dissolves into noise towards the end. Even if it didn't happen as often as I'd like to think, it just seems perfectly logical. Many rock bands conclude their shows with some noise/feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:51 am 

flanabyss12 - Black flan? OK, kinda weird, hahaha Welcome. Feel free to be weird.

Ed - I never thought that. Comparing The Mothers with Pete Townshend/Hendrix/Whoever's feedback? I've always thought that WRMF was on purpose even if it was in-the-moment. Other bands tend to have a "lookee what happens when I put my guitar in front of the amp and wave it around!". Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno, I'll think about it some more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 am 

Okay, maybe the Mothers' feedback wasn't Hendrix' feedback, but surely something like "WRMF" may have presaged something like Sonic Youth's feedback. Or the feedback of any vaguely avant garde indie rock band.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:21 am 

Oddly Zappa said around that time that he didn't like when other bands like Velvet Underground ended their shows with feedback as he felt it was rude treatment that the audience didn't deserve. I'm not sure how to reconcile that with "Weasels..." but perhaps if we had a tape of the full show it would make sense.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:29 pm 

Sorty, even though I always am drawn to FZ's weirder side, WRMF never did much for me. But give me any example of Frank with tuned percussion and I am in heaven. Much of my affection for BWS comes from the percussion.

FM's Enigma 1 - 5, I could listen to that all day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:19 am 

The weirder the better! That said, Weasels is a bit noisy and not a good listen if you have a headache.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:41 am 

Totally -- I adore Weasels, but it is definitely more on the abrasive-improv-weird side of the Zappa spectrum. I think my personal favorite is the highly composed, almost child-like eccentricity of Uncle Meat, which is probably my favorite Mothers record. The instrumentals on that album have this innocent, dreamy sort of weirdness that almost reminds me of music for a children's cartoon. UM has always been right up my alley in that sense. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:13 pm 

I love it all. Weasels is a hard listen but it has so much texture in what it is going on. I used to shy away from it but love it more and more every listen. I love how weird and abrasive it is and then has the super awesome My Guitar followed by the beautiful Oh No then back to the weird stuff.

I think out of the two I still prefer BWS though especially WPLJ, Aybe Sea & LHIUTLI.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:50 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Oddly Zappa said around that time that he didn't like when other bands like Velvet Underground ended their shows with feedback as he felt it was rude treatment that the audience didn't deserve. I'm not sure how to reconcile that with "Weasels..." but perhaps if we had a tape of the full show it would make sense.

Wot about "A Small Eternity With John & Yoko" off Playground Psychotics? I've seen it described as "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" multiplied by three or something to that effect. But then again, it does only credit Lennon & Ono. Was this way of crediting a piss-take by Zappa or was it indeed that the Mothers left the stage and left just their infamous guest performers to make some noise?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:52 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Wot about "A Small Eternity With John & Yoko" off Playground Psychotics? I've seen it described as "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" multiplied by three or something to that effect. But then again, it does only credit Lennon & Ono. Was this way of crediting a piss-take by Zappa or was it indeed that the Mothers left the stage and left just their infamous guest performers to make some noise?

Judging from the video, yes, Zappa and the Mothers left and the ending seems to have been all John and Yoko's doing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:00 am 

Has the topic starter heard the unreleased Artisan Acetate? He should! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTOv1YZXZqM

It gives you the idea that "WRMF" used to be a title for another piece: a mad jumble of staccato horn riffs, FZ' conducting and Roy babbling like a maniac. Which actually may have prefigured Mr. Bungle. Otherwise known as "Right There" or "Skweezit Skweezit Skweezit". However, the feedback piece itself was then titled "It Must Be Your Breath" and it was glued to "Cookie Jar Lecture", otherwise known as "Tiny Sick Tears". Then there's also a twisted version of "Wipe Out", origins of the melody (see no. 7) right after "Igor's Boogie" on the 1970-71 "King Kong" revealed in "Passacaglia" and some haunting use of acoustic piano on "Copenhagen Night Music".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:04 am 

I'm glad he didn't end up using the title "It Must Be Your Breath" for WRMF.