Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Strictly Commercial
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:35 am 

Generally i dislike greatest hits/ best of collections and avoid them, particularly for the artists i really like. Saw this for 99p however and thought I may as well give it a go. Pleasantly surprised by how good the songs sounded in this format. Now tempted by the two Cheap Thrills compilations.

Post subject: Re: Strictly Commercial
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:11 pm 

Purists like to shit on it, but I think it's a pretty decent starting place. After years of listening to and loving my dad's handful of Zappa records, I bought Strictly Commercial, and it's what convinced me that I needed to own everything with Frank's name on it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:21 am 

The vinyl edition has a 12" dance mix of Dancin' Fool. Also include Planet of the Baritone Women.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:25 am 

I randomly popped this in my car the other night and had a moment of zen / questioning. Here goes: This disc was released by Rykodisc in '95, with the then most current albums mixes. But the disc includes the single versions of Don't Eat the Yellow Snow, Montana and Joe's Garage. Does this mean that Ryko made specific edits to recreate these single versions or are they the original single mixes? I think it's the former, but I don't know why this just came to me after 17 years or so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:08 am 

My introduction to Frank's Music!
It was 2003 or 4 on an evening out with my girlfriend at the time, after dinner we went to the mall in the area which is about an hour from where I live. Ended up in Sam Goody and picked it up and bought it. I was familiar with the reputation of his music being challenging and him being a band leader kinda thing, I was also a fan of Steve Vai and huge fan of Vinnie Colaiuta but not aware of the Vinnie/Frank connection yet. hahaha
My life literally changed that evening on the ride home. My girlfriend probably thought I was crazy on my reactions to these songs. Hearing Peaches with the woodwinds and compositional intricacies had me excited and very intrigued. By the time Don't Eat the Yellow Snow ended I was hooked! The next day I got Cheap Thrills at the local music store. I was delivering pizza at the time so all I did was listen to music in my car all day. I then went on a tear of ordering and purchasing at least 3 to 5 Zappa albums every 2 weeks until I had all the Ryko stuff and most of the ZFT releases too within about a year.
Looking back it was a great introduction for me personally, but I'm not sure if I would recommend this album to someone not familiar with Frank's music as a starting point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:17 am 

Everything you need to know is right here :arrow: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/strictly_commercial.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:14 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

I appreciate your efforts, Mr. Nice Guy. I'm very familiar with that website and upon reading it again, the question I asked is the same as the second question at the bottom of the page. There's no information with respect to the single edits. I was hoping one of us keeners might know.