Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Joe's Domage Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:16 am 

Does anyone know where "Joe's Domage" fits in the chronological order of Zappa CD's?
Did these rehearsals take place before or after the "Waka / Jawaka" and "Grand Wazoo" recording sessions in April - May 1972?
Or are they from just before the the tour (or during the tour) that produced the "Zappa \ Wazoo" and "Imaginary Diseases" shows in late summer and fall of 1972? I am trying to line up these CD's to be heard in as close to chronological order as I can make them. The liner notes for "Joe's Domage" just gives the year of 1972 and no clues as to the month or day recorded. What do you guys think? Any help is appreciated.

VB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 am 

It's a tough call to definitively decide if it should be cued before the Waka/Jawaka and Grand Wazoo studio albums or just before Wazoo. In general fans tend to put the Joe's Domage recording in the Spring of 1972. That could fit anywhere in the studio recording schedule and tour rehearsals, so I guess there may be a possibility that a given part of the studio recordings for Waka/Jawaka, Grand Wazoo could possibly come before that rehearsal. Then again, there could be some definitive information on Domage that I am forgetting.

Gail Zappa had stated the following

"There was this one rehearsal tape that Frank carried around with him on the road, and it was a rehearsal of members of the Wazoo band. That's Joe's Domage."

Being that Frank carried it on the road one would expect he was listening to it on the road. Seems like cueing that up before Wazoo makes for an interesting listen. I find this four-play quite interesting

1) Domage
2) Wazoo
3) Waka/Jawaka
4) Grand Wazoo

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:56 am 

Well, judging how different the Wazoo touring band's repertoire was from Waka/Wazoo albums (only three compositions from this pair of albums) you can definitely tell that the Domage band is rehearsing for the sessions of Waka/Wazoo. Apparently FZ is still working out the "Thinking it Over", not only it has the lyrics, but FZ seems to consider another section for it, culled from the 1969-70 live piece called "Interlude", which he proceeds to perform to the other guys in a stripped down fashion with just his guitar and Aynsley's drums.

What's weird is that Ian Underwood appears on organ. And then on the sessions the keyboards would be handled by Duke and Don Preston. And then after that, Ian joins the Wazoo tour on Rhodes and synthesiser. Was he already trying to get Burt Bacharach's phone nr in between?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:21 am 

I seem to remember some of the Zappa research team determined this rehearsal was in March 1972 based on conversation near the end about scheduling the next rehearsal. So yes, it is just prior to the Waka Jawaka and Grand Wazoo recording.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:08 am 

Zappa says at the end of the recording:
FZ wrote:
I'll tell you what the story is on the recording of this material. I don't want to take it into the studio until you can play all that stuff from memory and it feels natural to do the stuff. That's the reason I'm going about it this way rather than just lay charts in front of everybody . . .

He talks about 'taking it into the studio' which would mean that these recording are rehearsals for the studio sessions.

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/J ... omage.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:15 am 

unclemeat69 wrote:
Zappa says at the end of the recording:
FZ wrote:
I'll tell you what the story is on the recording of this material. I don't want to take it into the studio until you can play all that stuff from memory and it feels natural to do the stuff. That's the reason I'm going about it this way rather than just lay charts in front of everybody . . .

He talks about 'taking it into the studio' which would mean that these recording are rehearsals for the studio sessions.

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/J ... omage.html

Thanks for this information!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:16 am 

pbuzby wrote:
I seem to remember some of the Zappa research team determined this rehearsal was in March 1972 based on conversation near the end about scheduling the next rehearsal. So yes, it is just prior to the Waka Jawaka and Grand Wazoo recording.

THANKS!!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 am 

A thanks from me as well. I'm doing a chronological listen to the entire canon, and wasn't 100% sure where JD belonged.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:36 am 

Zappa Time, where would you put for instance Sleep Dirt and Studio Tan?
Those albums were recorded over various sessions in between Apostrophe' and Zoot Allures.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:23 am 

I'd put them after Zoot Allures, because of all the different recording dates.

more specifically:

Bongo Fury
1975/05/23 El Paso, TX

Orchestral Favorites

Zoot Allures
FZ:OZ
Joe's Menage

Zappa In New York
Philly '76
Saturday Night Live '76/'78

Studio Tan
Sleep Dirt

Lather

Shiek Yerbouti
Hammersmith Odeon
Baby Snakes
Baby Snakes: The Movie
Halloween
.....and so on.......

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:30 am 

Joe's Menage comes before Zoot Allures.
I've ripped the whole collection (what I have of it which is most of it) to my hard drive in chronological order with Sleep Dirt and Studio Tan taken apart.
I put the separate songs in their approximate chronological order with Lemme Take You To The Beach (to name a song made of various recording sessions) in with Zoot Allures (when the final overdubs were added) while the drums and bass were recorded around the time of Hot Rats (source: the Zappa chronology.)

If I want to listen to those albums in their final, released form I'll play the CD.