Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 200 Motels Soundtrack
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:21 am 

Listening to the masterful sprawl of this soundtrack for the first time in a while. What are your thoughts on this album? :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 am 

Certainly in my top 5, possibly top 3. It changes pretty often so hard to nail it down. Others in the top 5 for me are:

BWS
UM
TGW
WJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 am 

Despite the admittedly garage-y sound (an anomaly, considering his production values became more polished starting with Hot Rats at least), it's a great melding of MOI rock and orchestral Varese/Stravinsky esque writing. A sprawling dense of a mother album. A fair bit of the rock material is a bit more akin to the Freak Out/WOIIFTM side of the things (Zappa's last recordings in that style, before Over-Nite Sensation era ushered in the watershed changes in musical style), as opposed to the blues rock/mainstream pop style of Chunga's Revenge and the twin keyboard dominated live albums from Fillmore and Pauley around the same era.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:24 am 

Great post by Ed as usual.
I love this double album and I don't listen to it enough.
I'm a huge fan of the "She Painted Up Her Face" suite and the whole Dental Hygiene Dilemma piece - which is almost surreal.
The 4 sides cover such a broad range of Zappa's different music and I love the orchestral pieces that are splattered all over it. Some of my favourite Zappa orchestral music is from the 60's and it's great to hear pieces that were performed at the Festival Hall in '68 played again, with a larger orchestra.
Not only that but lots of Varese / Stravinsky influenced (like Ed pointed out) music too.
The whole album has a unique and theatrical feel about it too. It's certainly unique in the Zappa cannon.
There's some of that good old Zappa sound collage stuff going on too - like the fade out at the end of side 2 (Lucy's Seduction Of A Bored Violinist & Postlude?).
I also love Daddy, Daddy, Daddy and What Will this morning...... which is totally goofy but somehow amazing. Definitely not a piece to get your friends turned onto Zappa.
It concludes with a fantastic rendition of Stictly Genteel complete with an operetta sung by Theodore Bikel.
One of the lines in this piece is beautifully sung by one of the LSO singers and it is really quite stunning. Raises the hairs on my arms every time.

Tinselcock my baby!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:56 am 

Debris of the four styles offered:
Debris, broth, breath,
And the ever popular hygienic
European version
Tinsel cock!
Which do you choose?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That cracks me up EVERY time!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:34 pm 

Love Flo & Eddie's vox throughout this record. "She sat before the miiiiiiiiiiiiroooooooooooorrrr" :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:49 am 

One of my favourites. Looking forward to London next month!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:57 am 

I wish I was going...... :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:57 pm 

do we have any news of the new CD of this album?
is it coming out, if so when etc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:21 pm 

@mistrijah When you say "the" new CD what do you mean? Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:02 pm 

polydigm wrote:
@mistrijah When you say "the" new CD what do you mean? Am I missing something?

This album has not yet come out as part of the universal music CD's...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:42 pm 

@mistrijah Was there ever an announcement to say that it would?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:09 pm 

I don't think you have missed anything Poly,
there are copyright issues with 200 Motels as it's according to the box an original MGM motion picture soundtrack under exclusive license to Ryco.

none of the ZFT cosmic copyright yada yada yada

to my knowledge ZFT have not mentioned a remastered release on UM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:20 pm 

Right ghost. This took some doing by Ryko to get out. I love all the orchestral bits on it. I owned it first as an 8-track tape, then the double LP then the CD twenty years later.

Ed is right of course, last of the '60s-style MOI material. I love the whole tuna fish sandwich suite. I will listen to that tomorrow at work :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:32 pm 

polydigm wrote:

No they did not and that is why i am asking because if i am correct a space was left for it with the way the new CD's were numbered, there is a gap in the numbering where 200 motels should be if i am correct?

Also in my own mind I imagined that maybe they were waiting for the 2 orchestral show's this month to release it, as that would be perfect timing, but i am sure i am only dreaming..

But if ryko managed to get it released then there is no reason that universal should not... maybe with a lovely new master...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:55 am 

@mistrijah The numbering doesn't portend anything. My understanding is that it follows the official release numbering. I'm very happy with my copy of 200 Motels. I'm so familiar with the music that I can't tell it's badly produced, but it's not that bad really. It's a great album - I really enjoy it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:05 am 

It's a brilliant album. I love it. The whole "Pleated Gazelle" sequence on side four is so bizarre! Phyllis Bryn-Julson's soprano voice sounds great singing that text.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:42 am 

polydigm wrote:
@mistrijah The numbering doesn't portend anything. My understanding is that it follows the official release numbering. I'm very happy with my copy of 200 Motels. I'm so familiar with the music that I can't tell it's badly produced, but it's not that bad really. It's a great album - I really enjoy it anyway.

I really enjoy it as it as well and own it on CD and vinyl, but the fact remains is that it is no longer available for new listeners to purchase, just because we own copies is irrelevant, the point is there is a gap in Zappa's work and that work cannot be discovered by new listeners, I sure hope it comes out and with an improved master, it's one of his greatest albums IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:25 pm 

@mistrijah I'm not saying it doesn't matter just because I've got a copy. It's obvious that it should be available. It's not clear what the possibilities are of how it could be an improved production on the one that came out on Ryko without more information. All I was saying is that there is no evidence that the ZFT is planning a new release of the 200 Motels album. Even though I'm happy with what I've got, if they do release an upgraded one on Universal, I will buy it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm 

I seem to have lost CD1 of 200 Motels after having recently listened to it for the first time in awhile. Or misplaced, but I fear my wife (decidedly NOT an FZ fan) may have discarded it if I left it lying around. So it's relative unavailability in any new, old, or unauthorized edition is bugging me because I want to hear it more. But I adore the heck out of the performance of "She Painted Up Her Face," etc. that appears on one of the YCDTOSA discs. I do wish somehow the recording quality could be retroactively improved to at least match his other releases of that period.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:18 pm 

Speaking of this album, I was wondering if anyone knows of any other tracks of "outtakes" from 200 Motels other than "Interview" from Apocrypha.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:15 am 

There's a bootleg called "Beyond the Fringe of Audience Comprehension", which does feature "Interview", but also the studio version of "Groupie Opera". It consists of What Will This Morning/Evening (the placement of the words depending on the track) tracks bookending the Fillmore East 1971 material. It sounds very nice, I think the pieces really benefit from George Duke's trombone additions, whereas on FE71 there's nothing but keyboards. Plus, "Do You Like My New Car" is not as horribly overlong, it segues into "Magic Fingers", which is essentially played as on YCDTOSA6, allowing for obvious differences in instrumentation, and not as on 200 Motels. Then it segues into "What Will This Evening Bring Me This Morning", which is probably the same take as on 200 Motels, but with a) a more complex bassline, probably played by Jeff Simmons (which then begs the question: why did FZ nix his contribution from the soundtrack album? A revenge against him quitting?) and b) an instrumental intro with fast jazzy, almost Chicago Transit Authority style guitar chords punctuated by Duke's trombone.

I think this studio "Groupie Opera" 1970 to early 1971 thingy is certainly among my favourite Flo & Eddie material. "Fillmore East 1971" sounds terrible in comparison to this rare stuff. If Making of 200 Motels boxset is ever possible, then hopefully the "Groupie Opera" as recorded before the movie could be a valuable addition. Alongside "Interview" and of course the movie version of "What Will This Morning Bring Me This Evening", nixed from the soundtrack album itself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:45 am 

Thanks so much for the info. I will look into it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:46 am 

A quite uninteresting and cheese movie with a marvelous soundtrack. A pity it was not that well recorded, or not properly mixed. An album that deserves a good remix. The music is certainly great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:46 am 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
polydigm wrote:

No there wasn't - just wishful thinking on many of our parts...

Well, any news, anywhere, as to whether it will be re-released in audio CD form?