Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:07 am 

Will we get any info on a new release before the New year? Heres hoping for a Road Tapes #3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:34 am 

bungles wrote:
Will we get any info on a new release before the New year? Heres hoping for a Road Tapes #3

Here's hoping for Road Tapes 3, 4, 5, etc.!

Hell even a "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" continuation?!?!

Frank recorded every live performance he could...there's a LOT of stuff sitting around...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:10 am 

bungles wrote:

The answer was no.

/close thread

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:00 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

The answer was no.

Oh thank god. I was beginning to think no one would ever answer that one.

calvin2hikers wrote:
/close thread

Shit. I guess I screwed that one up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:55 pm 

Well, we could pretend that we're talking about 2016.

So I'd say it's probably likely.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:28 pm 

None the less, the question still remains. Will there be a new album before the new year?

Whatever complaints anyone had about Gail, I thought she did a pretty good job. She organised various significant live events. She presided over 40 posthumous releases. The numerous complaints that I've read about many of those releases is that they're not what FZ would have done. Duh!? It seems that the last thing the complainers can do is accept that FZ's gone and unless you want nothing from the vault - i.e., nothing at all - that's all there is. Who's going to do that now? She pretty much made that her life. There's no one else in the family - all of whom have their own lives to lead - who will have the time to dedicate to the vault. So, quite obviously, unless someone is hired in to manage it, it won't continue as it was. It will be interesting to see what happens next. Will there be any new ZFT releases in 2016?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:28 am 

Another question would be: What will happen to the vault or the content of the vault if the house will be sold as rumours say? Is there anyone left who is willing to invest in a new storage facility and taking care of the legacy. There must be professional companies in the LA area, who offer those services for the film and music industry, so no one is forced to build their own private vault these days.

On the other hand, it is only natural that things come to an end sooner or later.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:11 am 

I would think the would figure out what was going to happen to the vault before they talk about selling the house, since it's FAR more valuable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:29 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I would think the would figure out what was going to happen to the vault before they talk about selling the house, since it's FAR more valuable.

Some arab sheikh will probably buy it. (Record bin Laden)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:14 am 

just plain doug wrote:

Or if he buys it below market value, Cutout bin Laden.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:16 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Well I heard that some sheikh has bought the vault last week
And you suckers are hearin' nothin'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:05 pm 

Well it's amazing that with the amount of stuff that's crammed into those vaults, and the fact that there are recording schools that have capable people to sort it, mix it, and send to people that can determine whether it's worth releasing, not to MENTION that there are plenty of easy ways to GET it to people that no one is doing anything, and since Frank's been dead for 23 years, and Gail's been "claiming" that she was putting things together for release for the past 20-odd years that there's nothing even being teased! The only thing that keeps coming out seems to be a re-release of the original albums purportedly remixed-remastered-rewhatevered, and they all seem to sound like the original CD's I got back in the mid-late 80's!

I get it....there's a time of "mourning" for the family... rest her soul...but let's get serious...there's PLENTY of music that needs released, and no one's doing anything about it...and it doesn't just mean the past 8-10 months! There's been stuff on deck for a LOT longer than that!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:46 am 

I don't think you've been paying attention. There's been at least 20 new releases since 2002. Check the Barfko-Swill catalog. I imagine they're going through a transitional phase now with Ahmet being handed the keys to the ZFT, the new UME deal, and Gail's passing. I wonder if Joe will continue as the Vaultmeister - especially if the house will no longer be the base of operations.

Also, the 2012 re-releases sound noticeably better than the Rykodisc releases and I'm by no means an audiophile. A lot of work has been done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:14 pm 

I have been... I have been getting things, and I have been listening to thing... I disagree!

If Frank were still around, I think that there'd be MORE stuff released that Terry Bozzio can shake a stick at!

The fact that there are so many ways to get stuff out these days, and the amount of stuff that HAS been released IS PATHETIC! Hell, all of Dweezil's shows should be available for purchase/download... THERE'S a big ball that's been dropped!

A good bunch of Frank's live stuff should be online waiting for people to get it!

The output that HAS come out (the pathetic Synclavier crap) is just that CRAP! WOW....Roxy By Proxy! Took what like 8-10 years to finally get out! It's AS GOOD as Roxy and Elsewhere...Maybe a little better mix...but...come on!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:52 pm 

OK. Gotcha.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:53 am 

Sorry for the rant...but I've been fighting with Gail for years on stuff (and I wish I kept the emails) and I was hoping that since she's no longer in the picture (and don't get me wrong, I didn't wish any ill will on her) I was hoping that things would get back on track, and stuff would start coming out...Granted, it's not like she's left the building for a year already, but with some of the announcements like Ahmet "getting the keys to the vault" I was hoping for at least an announcement of some new stuff being worked on.

I remember first hearing about the ZFT after Frank passed, and thought Ok...stuff will start coming out...and for a LITTLE while it did, then it just stopped!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:47 pm 

@ Jaminbenb Firstly, if FZ was still here? If he were still here, there would have been plenty of actual new material released. FZ would not have spent all his time sifting through the vault looking for tidbits. It's also likely that as he aged he would have been less inclined to suffer punishing tour schedules and there would have been less recording of live music and thus a much lower rate of accumulation in the vault. The tours were only one facet of his life and he probably would have dedicated more of his time to the production of his "serious" music.

During the last few years of his life he released six double CDs of material that he cherry picked from the vault, from a long period of intense touring. It's not hard to figure out that there would not have been a further 12 CDs of material equally worth releasing to him. What Gail had to work with were FZ's left overs and I believe she did a creditable job. There may well be lots of stuff in the vault that's at the very least better than plenty of the crappy bootlegs out there, but we pretty much already have the majority of what the man represented while he was alive.

Why can you not accept that there must be good reasons behind what has been released and how? What would any of the family's motivation be to upset FZ's fans? FZ is gone. He's been gone for just over 22 years. What you're saying about Gail is nothing more than insulting and it's disrespectful to Frank's memory. Get over it.

Caveat: That last paragraph is about as close to sounding like Gary Titone as I will allow myself to get, but I'm just getting so sick of ZFT bashing and in particular, Gail bashing. The problem is that he died when he was only 52 and there's nothing we can do about that. Rail at cancer, rail at FZ's lifestyle, rail at possible medical incompetence, but leave his family alone. We've had a good run.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:39 pm 

I trust that Gail did what she believed was right. On behalf of her husband. I certainly don't expect the kids to do better. The Halloween '78 release was an example of a missed opportunity. Or a blatant demonstration of thoughtlessness. Shankar on WIEH is not special enough? ..who cares about any minor quality issues or whatever. To not put it all out is to go beyond the fringe of audience comprehension. Even if that audience is comprised of only me.

No complaints though. I've never expected a thing from zft. Someone said they should get "back on track". I don't get that. FZ is gone and he took the track.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:08 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
FZ is gone and he took the track.
That is the key point as far as the vault is concerned.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:41 am 

polydigm wrote:
@ Jaminbenb Firstly, if FZ was still here? If he were still here, there would have been plenty of actual new material released. FZ would not have spent all his time sifting through the vault looking for tidbits. It's also likely that as he aged he would have been less inclined to suffer punishing tour schedules and there would have been less recording of live music and thus a much lower rate of accumulation in the vault. The tours were only one facet of his life and he probably would have dedicated more of his time to the production of his "serious" music.

During the last few years of his life he released six double CDs of material that he cherry picked from the vault, from a long period of intense touring. It's not hard to figure out that there would not have been a further 12 CDs of material equally worth releasing to him. What Gail had to work with were FZ's left overs and I believe she did a creditable job. There may well be lots of stuff in the vault that's at the very least better than plenty of the crappy bootlegs out there, but we pretty much already have the majority of what the man represented while he was alive.

Why can you not accept that there must be good reasons behind what has been released and how? What would any of the family's motivation be to upset FZ's fans? FZ is gone. He's been gone for just over 22 years. What you're saying about Gail is nothing more than insulting and it's disrespectful to Frank's memory. Get over it.

Caveat: That last paragraph is about as close to sounding like Gary Titone as I will allow myself to get, but I'm just getting so sick of ZFT bashing and in particular, Gail bashing. The problem is that he died when he was only 52 and there's nothing we can do about that. Rail at cancer, rail at FZ's lifestyle, rail at possible medical incompetence, but leave his family alone. We've had a good run.

Well since you're all knowing and all seeing, I'll just have to bow out and go listen to the 80 billion bootlegs that are rolling around the internet....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:01 pm 

Jaminbenb wrote:
Well since you're all knowing and all seeing, I'll just have to bow out and go listen to the 80 billion bootlegs that are rolling around the internet....
You didn't really read my post did you? It's not about what I know, which is not much, but about what should be obvious. We have the best of FZ in the albums he produced while he was alive and there will never be another one of those. You seem to think you know exactly what is in the vault and just how it's been ruined by people you have no real idea about and feel somehow justified in defaming their character.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:31 pm 

^^ I don't think he read your post. It was a good post. I'm holding you to that caveat. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:40 am 

polydigm wrote:
Jaminbenb wrote:
You didn't really read my post did you? It's not about what I know, which is not much, but about what should be obvious. We have the best of FZ in the albums he produced while he was alive and there will never be another one of those. You seem to think you know exactly what is in the vault and just how it's been ruined by people you have no real idea about and feel somehow justified in defaming their character.

Well you've obviously not read any of MY posts... I get where you're coming from, but the fact that Frank started recording everything he could from a certain point, once it was easier to do, you know that there had to be more stuff sitting in that vault than any of us can imagine. There was some article several years back about the cataloging of what's in there, and identifying some of the tapes...granted, a few gems have surfaced The "Joe's _____-age" series, the two Road Tapes, the out takes (MOFO, Lumpy Money Project), and a few live shows... But I've been talking about stuff that is still HAS to be in there...more live stuff, more odds and ends... HELL where's the video companion to the YCDTOSA series? Part of the criteria for that was "8. Is there film of video?" That release was teased way way back when the first one came out! I'd be willing to bet volume 7-10 was in his mind as well!

The fact that he saved everything he recorded (forever) that he could tells me that there are plenty of out takes from other studio albums as well.

Sorry... I see this as a missed opportunity by the ZFT to continue to release things that the public wants.... Yeah sure...if Frank were still alive and playing I'm sure there'd be more output, But the fact that the technology has changed since 1993, I'd be willing to bet that if he were performing, you'd have the opportunity to either walk out of his show with a copy of what you just heard, or have the ability to order it the next day and download it! Frank wanted his music to be in the hands of the foolish young consumers..and he'd stop at nothing to get it there!

The argument that I always got into with Gail was that if people were willing to PURCHASE bootlegs, then they'd take something official that doesn't sound like it was recorded by Effanel and mastered by Bob Ludwig!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:32 am 

Anyone who invests money to put product on the market, wants his investment back better sooner than later. And that is the problem. There is no significant market for Zappa products anymore. If you think that's not true then you are probably hopelessly living in the past.

I can't imagine that Universal made any profit from the reissue campain in 2012.

Sad but probably true.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:43 pm 

Thinman wrote:
Anyone who invests money to put product on the market, wants his investment back better sooner than later. And that is the problem. There is no significant market for Zappa products anymore. If you think that's not true then you are probably hopelessly living in the past.

I can't imagine that Universal made any profit from the reissue campain in 2012.

Sad but probably true.

There isn't a "significant" market for Zappa product any longer, no. BUT there definitely still is a market for Zappa product. Otherwise, none of the 2012 Universal remastered titles (or any other titles, for that matter) would be available for sale...