Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: what would you do?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:30 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I will come by FZ material however I can while trying to maximise the fairness of how I go about it...

Yes, my thoughts put much more coherently.
TT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:41 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I'm glad the fact that light years is a measure of distance has been cleared up.

Large businesses, that are themselves fundamentally parasitic, bang on about how much money is being lost via pirating in countries where the consumers that benefit have only a fraction of the wealth that is being claimed to be involved. You can't spend what you haven't got. Those losses are more than ridiculously exaggerated. The world is far more complicated than those arseholes make out.

A: Was it ever in doubt?

B: Totally agree. I never bought into the credit crap either. "You can afford it NOW!", sez the rich guy to the poor guy who wants to do the right thing. They might have a family and all, ya know, it's X-mas, they're layed off. So they get credit and the rich get richer. While the poor suckle at the tits of the lenders and fret over their credit scores. Happy New Year they're ass, rinse and repeat next year. They can't seem to get ahead...ever... of the credit scores rising around them, rising around them. :x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:59 pm 

Thanks to Jim, sending me copies of the remaining studio albums I haven't got.
He paid to download them, so I send him stuff I paid for. Win win win...
TT

Post subject: re: what would you do?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:33 pm 

deuce wrote:
...Win win win...
. . wrong wrong wrong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:25 am 

in your opinion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:09 am 

deuce wrote:
in your opinion

Your are breaking the law. That is not a matter of opinion.

I may have some sympathy for your First-world problem, but that doesn't change the facts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:20 am 

Maybe in your eyes. Nothing I have has not been paid for by someone I know.
My friend Jim had no zappa CDs until he asked me if I could copy a few for him so he could get a feel for FZ. Following that, he then purchased EVERY zappa studio CD. Tell me how your 'breaking the law' fact has robbed FZT? As I said previously, I appear to have done them a huge favour, and in the real world, its is how music business should be done.
Spotify etc legally rob the artists. That's wrong wrong wrong...
TT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:44 am 

Quilt wrote:

An interesting question: WHEN do you think he did brake the law?

- When making 1 copy? No, why could not he make one? It was not for business reasons.
- When sending it to a friend? 1 copy? Its quite normal among fellows/friends, right? Giving, lending each other music, books, whatever. Libraries lend things for free.

Well, telling the truth its really FAR from being elegant to make a trade like this RIGHT HERE... But I would not say it is against the law.

Just honestly: how many albums we have on tape or heard in the radio (etc) FOR FREE after which we decided to buy the actual release (or more) or go to the concert of someone? This "breaking the law" thing seems to me too ridiculous sometimes - hey, we're talking about a few copies, not about some Big Business... (The funny thing that on some other threads people complain about sending their money for some preorder and getting nothing... Is it "breaking the law"? No: just simple stupidity, but in this case the ZFT plays with some other guys' (fans') money. Sad thing.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:08 pm 

balint wrote:
Quilt wrote:

An interesting question: WHEN do you think he did brake the law?

- When making 1 copy? No, why could not he make one? It was not for business reasons.
- When sending it to a friend? 1 copy? Its quite normal among fellows/friends, right? Giving, lending each other music, books, whatever. Libraries lend things for free.

Well, telling the truth its really FAR from being elegant to make a trade like this RIGHT HERE... But I would not say it is against the law.

Just honestly: how many albums we have on tape or heard in the radio (etc) FOR FREE after which we decided to buy the actual release (or more) or go to the concert of someone? This "breaking the law" thing seems to me too ridiculous sometimes - hey, we're talking about a few copies, not about some Big Business... (The funny thing that on some other threads people complain about sending their money for some preorder and getting nothing... Is it "breaking the law"? No: just simple stupidity, but in this case the ZFT plays with some other guys' (fans') money. Sad thing.)

I think he broke the law when he made unauthorised copy/ies. It states clearly , in tiny letters, on virtually very cd I have to hand that 'Unauthorised copying blah blah blah is prohibited etc etc'

Again, it is not my opinion. I am just stating what is (or at least seems to me, in my version of reality) a fact.

In the UK it is technically illegal to 'rip' a cd that you own onto your own computer. Clearly poor law, but there you go.

I do think the laws need updating so that they can work within the digital paradigm, but that is another issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:31 pm 

That dreaded grey area that is real life as opposed to the "academically" determined, black and white law, that is dominated by the rich and powerful ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:29 pm 

Amen... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 pm 

The back of my Weasels CD says:
"Unauthorized reproduction/sampling/distribution/filesharing/rental of any consent herein/on is subject to all applicable laws (including cosmic)."

If I make a copy of a CD I bought for my car, so as not to have to handle my CD and packaging all the time, then I'm breaking the law? That's bullshit.

As someone who worked in a record store for years, the selling of promo albums with the hole punch through the bar code is also against the law. But according to these posts on the Road Tapes 2 thread, that is exactly what Musictoday is doing.

Phlakaton wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Where did you buy the MoFo from? Seems as if its a used and promo copy.

Yeah it did not have any shrink wrap either....got it at Barfko/Music Today, same order as RT2 along with Congress.....

From Barfko/Music Today and that is how you received it? WTF.