Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy Camouflage
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:07 am 

AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:

despite sharing the link

unfortunately the link does exist out there but to come here and post it on the Official Frank Zappa forum is just a straight up shitdick move. you're an ass.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:15 am 

balint wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
Using the search function I found he posted here last summer (...) So it isn't true that he only contributes comments against the fans.

True, you're right, I remember now [change "only" to "mostly" :-) ] - but I guess you still undestand me: how great it would be if some kind of nice conversation would build up between music-fans and the ZFT - right? These are our plas, this is the background, this is my answer to this and that... etc etc.

Both the positive exchanges, and the negative ones, happen only occasionally. Of course yes, it would be nice if there were more, especially the positive ones.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:25 am 

yeah that is shitty to do. Of course it's going to be torrented etc, but have some respect.

That said, I feel this release is deserving of a splash page with an autoplay song in the background like the days of yore. So Any Downers or Phyniox (or whatever) can be heard without waiting for a cycle on Zappa Radio.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:31 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Both the positive exchanges, and the negative ones

Talking about CONVERSATION, it's not the question of "positive" or "negative" - it's just question and answer, presence, talk, chat, whatever. Though you are right that SOMETIMES ther are a few words here from Mr. Travers, but MOST of the questions are not answered, MOST of the information are not given, MOST of the "talk" here (between "us and them") is merely a very rare occasion, in a few words only. Talk, discussion, chat - this is what a forum is for (Am I wrong? There used to be a thread saying "Gail Zappa answers" - right?...). Almost no useful information on "GZ says" - a real missed opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:29 am 

And she NEVER told me what she had for lunch. SHE DEFLECTED ME! Until she does share what she chose to repast on, I will buy all releases. But I'm still going to be SLIGHTLY MIFFED!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:37 am 

I agree music should not be stolen on torrents, if your buddy has a copy, rip it ,then burn it, that said ,it looks like patients is what is needed to buy from ZFT, and obviously NO PRE ORDERING.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:04 am 

Dammit, I don't like going to hospitals, but if that's the only way....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:42 am 

killer release im assuming thats dweezil or moon or one of the kids on track 4 "who do you think we are"

a fantastic release. thanks zft come on roxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:45 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

You don't need to go to hospitals to be a patient. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:48 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 pm 

when are you turds going to understand...

The ZFT owe us nothing. Just be glad with what we are getting and shut up about it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:20 pm 

balint wrote:
brainpang wrote:
I’d really like to toss this person down a flight of stairs. What a worm.

Oh yes, what a hateful person he is - how much better you are who simply would like to kill (!) him... Oh well, what an evil world, when someone shares an album (see: music, culture, value...) - so: he SHOULD BE KILLED!!! YES!

(OMG - did you read what you've written?!?... Mr Sensitive...)

"Killed" is probably metaphorically speaking. Your happy statement "shares an album" should be replaced by "illegally distributes". So yep, brainpang is actually the better person here..... I would hate living under your "culture" and "values".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:40 pm 

HJ wrote:
I would hate living under your "culture" and "values".

Well... I noted MUSIC as culture and value (for real, without quotation marks), not the case of sharing. ;-)

So please watch out at every staircace, don't let anyone throw you down - if that's your world! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:07 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
The Corsaga Series speaks with far too many levels of conceptual continuity for some of these so called fans to digest.

Not really.

Your average Dinah Moe Humm fan can probably easily digest these levels of conceptual continuity if they have nothing better to do. Very easily. Your phony superiority pose puts you at odds with Frank Zappa.

I'll discuss Zappa's actual work with you anytime you want. I don't think you get it and I would like to offer some insight. For example: Zappa was not a snob who put himself above his average fan. Most fans have lives. They're too busy to drool over Zappa mythology all day long. When you use the words "so-called fans" you are only exposing yourself as a self appointed judge and jury who spits out verdicts at total strangers.
Who here are you fooling?

I read somewhere that Zappa asked Gail to get out of the music business. If that's true then we can't really say she is carrying out his wishes. Of course, Zappa is a guy who didn't give a shit about being remembered. We can't expect just because a person is/was Zappa's friend, wife, old bandmate, engineer or child that they are capable of operating at anywhere near the same level of brilliance/complexity/understanding/humility as Zappa himself. (did you miss Zappa's humility?? go back and listen again) Perhaps Zappa should have burned all of his masters on his death bed. His final "fuck you". haha

vaultmeister wrote:
does that person call himself a fan you think?

That person sucks and I don't support what they did but don't you get paid to be vaultmeister? Plenty of more-than-capable fans would be vaultmeister for no pay. Do you call yourself a fan? Forgive me if you do this as charity.
Nice job on the new cd's, btw.

Zappa left Gail in charge. A heavy obligation, to be sure. I respect that 100%. It's unfortunate for many that Gail is seemingly such a contemptuous tease, but whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:46 pm 

Great CD. Personally, I think the version of Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me? is actually pretty awesome. Yes, you can barely hear the vocals, but the guitar riffs and drums play a nice upbeat rhythm, I dig it. Also as mentioned, Reeny Ra, Phyniox (Take 1 and Take 2) and Any Downers are amazing.

Nice release here, Joe. Go buy it now and share it with your parents!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:05 pm 

What about Phyniox take 1?

Thanks' for that Bobby.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:16 pm 

I've been saying for years that the 1975 Any Downers is a classic. I'm glad this cd is helping people to realize it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:06 pm 

The black napkins is very good too, although I have never heard a version I don't like. There is ample reason to bemoan those folks who subscribe to-

"Free is when you don't have to do nothing or pay for nothing
I want to be free."

This cultural shift to embrace the concept that all intellectual property is free pisses me off too, but what can be done?

This is why the digital subscription service might have been a good idea. I am unable to purchase enough of Frank, but there are only so many hours in the day and I would bet I own stuff on CD put out by the ZFT that I have not heard in decades. Love it, but no time available for it. I know some inveterate downloaders who just acquire tons of stuff they readily admit that they will likely never get the time to listen to.

The genie ain't going back in the bottle.

On the release again, I am more and more drawn toward music without vocals, so this is a good release for me. The viola is a nice addition and I like the less frenetic T'Mershi Duween. This version of Enema Bandit shows how funny the tune is and that the band was enjoying playing it. Tomorrow morning will allow for another complete listen before work. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:38 pm 

Just got home to se it made it...didn't hear it yet but opened and fetished it a bit.

Two things hit me...how come there isn't any more documentation as to the dates of rehearsal for this aborted band listed and it appears that this was ready to go about 3+ years ago...mastered in 2010...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:03 pm 

Yomama wrote:
... it appears that this was ready to go about 3+ years ago...mastered in 2010...

Yeah, it was up for preorder then too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:26 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
...BLAH...BLAH...BLAH...BLAH...BLAH...

Dude, STFU already.

You're apparently a professional LA session musician and have already basically admitted that you've recorded music you can't stand...but you do it anyway because it pays really well. Yet you keep crying about people making $$$ for a living by doing things they make not like doing and act as though if they did it for free instead, that it somehow makes them automatically superior.

You're either an incredibly good comedian or a hypocritical shithead. Which is it?! :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:17 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
You're apparently a professional LA session musician and have already basically admitted that you've recorded music you can't stand because it pays really well.

Basically admitted? I've never recorded anything I can't stand except for a couple of tv shows for my girlfriend. LA studio musician? Never. I dislike that kind of work.

We're all hypocrites. No one is superior. Maybe just more fortunate.

consider this.....
"(words) have not been recognized as a virus because they have achieved a state of stable symbiosis with the host" -William S Burroughs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:48 am 

@ downer mydnyte Nice quote. The one from Burroughs that is not the one from arsehead.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:21 am 

:?: OK, so what TWO songs from Joe's Camouflage should we put in heavy rotation on Zappa Radio? I have my choices but interested in what you all think......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:00 am 

vaultmeister wrote:
:?: OK, so what TWO songs from Joe's Camouflage should we put in heavy rotation on Zappa Radio? I have my choices but interested in what you all think......

Any Downers and Phyniox seemed a good choice to begin with...

But since your there, vaultmeister - are you planning on any official releases of well-known and circulated shows like Osaka 76 and Ritz 81 (with video?!?) - it seems a pity that killer shows like that aren't available for us old-fashioned legit only CD buyers/occasional youtube browsers...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next