Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Pygmy Twilight key?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 pm 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:
^yup, stuff like this reminds me that I have no clue what the fuck I'm actually doing.
I have very little formal training. Most of what I know I learnt from books (although the books could be called formal) and most of what I do is based on hours and hours of practice. Trying to follow stuff by ear is good practice, the more you do it the better it gets. Sense of rhythm and pitch are not static abilities, they can be vastly improved if you want them to, but a lot of people find the exercises tedious. I got to a certain point with them and the only thing I do for training now is actual instrument playing practice and transcribing by ear.

Your bass playing sounds good to me. I'd join a band with you if we lived in the same town. (You might not have me of course.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:44 am 

Quote:
I transcribe and play FZ tunes as an exercise.

That's the beauty and the rub to FZ songs. There are only a few that could be played alone without a backing band to sound good, the rest is really just playing notes and understanding timings of songs by the different instruments. I feel studying FZs music is a great tool for learning and being a better musician.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:22 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
If you wish you knew more then you will.
Quote:

This.

polydigm wrote:
Trying to follow stuff by ear is good practice, the more you do it the better it gets.

And this, both so true.

Honestly, in the little I have tackled in the "transcribe" by ear world, it is absurd how much easier things already are. I started late last night looping over the Keep It Greasey from both DHBIM and Buffalo and was able to get the "notes" right MUCH quicker (just the opening verse part) though my technique in keeping up with Barrow proved entirely lacking.

I've had maybe a year of lessons (this was about 10 years ago) and have been on my own since. Wish I could have kept taking lessons but that's life.

Thanks for kind words/encouragement. And if anyone records to these songs as well lets mix it together. Zappa Forum Plays Zappa. Accept The Worst Substitute. :wink:

Maybe a new thread?