Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Missing Persons Found!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:26 pm 

How many of you out there know that Terry Bozzio, Warren Cuccurullo and Patrick O'Hearn from Zappa's late 70's lineups, formed the new wave band Missing Persons with Terry's wife Dale on lead vocals?

I love Missing Persons! Dale made her debut with Frank after being Mary in the "Joe's Garage" story (she was fresh off being a Playboy bunny, too--find that issue!)...She is such an original!...

Terry, Dale , Warren and Patrick formed the band in late 1980 and their uniqueness included Dale's hiccupping high -pitched accents in her vocals(sort of a Barbie version of Buddy Holly!)...

Dale also colored her hair white with pink and blue streaks in it...They shopped around for a record label and got turned down a lot, but Capitol eventually signed them in 1981....

In early 1982, they released a 4-song EP, which included the classsic "Words" ("what are words for?/When no one listens anymore?"), the soon to be hit "Destination Unknown", Dale's tribute to men "I Like Boys" and a cover of the Door's "Hello, I Love You"...Their videos for "Words" (where she's wearing a plastic box as her bottom bikini) and "Destination Unknown" got them plenty of notice..

But not just for Dale's wild look and hot body....Terry, as we all Zappaheads know, is a phenominal drummer and his playing got even better in Missing Persons, where he began to be compared to Keith Moon's wild -style...The band released their debut album "Spring Session M" in summer of '82 (when I was 16)...The title, when rearranged spells out "Missing Person"!....The album was flawless! ...The playing was cutting edge!

In 1984, they released "Rhyme and Reason" , which featured Terry now playing electronic drums more and had hits with "Give" (amazing aolo from Warren) and "Right Now"...In 1986, Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers (of chic fame) produced their swan song album, "Colour In Your Life", which was more dance-oriented..They boke up after a tour in 1987 , when Terry and Dale got divorced...

Since then , Warren played with Duran Duran for a few years and Terry did some very interesting solo projects and is now part of Zappa Plays Zappa, with old cronie Steve Vai...Dale continues to front a new version of Missing Persons..I saw them in 2002 and they were very good..Dale said the drummer that night was Terry's drum teacher.(wish I could remember his name!)..He was very good!..Dale and Comapny toured this year as part of a revival of new wave bands...Even though Dale is in the group, it's not the same without Terry and Warren and Patrick (who now does solo work)...

They now live up to their name..They are missing persons .... :twisted:

Great group though! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:32 pm 

son of orange county wrote:
How many of you out there know that Terry Bozzio, Warren Cuccurullo and Patrick O'Hearn from Zappa's late 70's lineups, formed the new wave band Missing Persons with Terry's wife Dale on lead vocals?

I knew it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:32 pm 

HJ wrote:

I knew it.

Me too. I had actually forgot it at one point then remembered it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:16 am 

Didn't Frank write "Tinsel Town Rebellion" in their honor?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:08 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
HJ wrote:

I knew it.

Me too. I had actually forgot it at one point then remembered it.

Yea I gladly forgot it to, until he created a thread on it. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:55 pm 

The real question is how many FZ fans didn't know that?

Yes, it was useless anymore
(Move back now!)

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:00 am 

xxx

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:19 am 

And I didn't see it mentioned that Warren released an album called, "Thanks Frank" in honor of you know who. Yeah I knew all about Missing Persons, I grew up in the 80's and was really into Duran Duran so I knew all about Warren and since Joe (the Vaultmeister) drummed for Duran for a tour I learned more and more about Warren and MP.

Have a great day...Tricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:55 am 

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNe ... eid=175363

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:05 am 

Never heard of them. Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:24 am 
Banned

Other than their cover of "Hello, I Love You" by The Doors.....they pretty much suck. What a disappointment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:14 pm 

Missing Persons were very good for a New Wave pop band. Which isn't saying a lot really, but nonetheless they were good. In fact, "Words" is one of my favorite "80s" tunes and I still listen to it a lot.

I've got the Spring Session M album, and the band photos of Terry, Warren, and Patrick are pathetically hilarious.... Whatever fads come and go from now on, I hope to jeezus that hair like that doesn't make a comeback. The 80s: decent music, horrible fashion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:38 pm 

it all seemed abit restricting for the musicians

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:04 am 

xxx

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:55 am 

<------ Loves MP and has Spring Session M Gold Record Award

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:06 am 

nice artifact JP,,,, 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:20 am 

ah, what a crock. If they had no Zappa alumni, this band would be ridiculed by this list. death to duran duran, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:48 am 

brainpang wrote:
ah, what a crock. If they had no Zappa alumni, this band would be ridiculed by this list. death to duran duran, too!

i kinda agree but they are what they are and were better musicaly than MOST of the their peers at the time, Human League, ABC, Spandu Ballet etc.....
Terry's playing is really good and creative on the the EP and 1st record.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:13 pm 

xxx

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:16 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
Some music fans are just prejudice and will never get anything good from any New Wave Group. Kind of like reasoning with a KKK member the importantance of Martin Luther King.

Thanks for the analogy! Disturbing that it is.

Yea, man, Missing Person's. When Terry Ted finally became Punky Meadows. I never was sure if I was actually supposed to like the music or just beat off to Terry's painted face. I remember buying the EP when it came out and trying to like it. I think I chucked it in the trash about a month later. Who knows, maybe I would like it now if I heard it...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:33 am 

Missing Nebraska Boy, 3, Found In toy Claw Machine

A 3-year-old boy who went missing from his home was found inside a toy claw machine in a bowling alley.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/04/16/nebraska-claw-machine-toddler/7768333/

Cold Case Closed: Girls Missing Since 1971 Killed In Car Crash

ELK POINT, South Dakota (AP) — Two South Dakota girls on their way to an end-of-school-year party at a gravel pit in May 1971 drove off a country road and into a creek where their remains lay hidden until last fall when a drought brought their car into view, authorities said Tuesday.

State and local officials held a news conference Tuesday afternoon confirming that the 1960 Studebaker unearthed in September included the remains of Cheryl Miller and Pamella Jackson, both 17-year-olds who attended Vermillion High School.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/16/cheryl-miller-pamella-jackson-found_n_5158584.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 am 

ahahahahahhaahaaaa

Ancient thread bump!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:13 pm 

I wish Turdpolisher hadn't deleted all his comments in this thread. If I recall correctly, one of them said that not only were MP's demos recorded at UMRK; they were the very first thing recorded at UMRK.

If true, that also means that Ken Scott was the first engineer to run UMRK in a production capacity (if you don't know who Ken Scott is, he's worth Googling).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:15 pm 

I saw 'em in a club at the height of their popularity and powers (1984, I believe), and they were incredible. Terry B. was a monster on the drums at that point, and of course Dale was looking very hot. The whole band played a flawless set. I would have seen them again if I had the chance.

I see where Dale ran into some trouble with the law in later years. Sad.

By the way, the OP was wrong about that EP. Mental Hopscotch was on it, but not Words.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:32 pm 

Mr_Heartbreak wrote:
By the way, the OP was wrong about that EP. Mental Hopscotch was on it, but not Words.

…..plus, it was released in 1980, rather than 1982 - peaking at #46 on US Billboard. 8)

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.