Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy is coming...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:08 am 

It's also badass how much the rhythm track for Cheepnis holds up all by itself. Some great stuff even without the rest of the instrumental accompaniment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:49 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
Duke's solo on RDNZL - are kiddin' me?!!! Holy shit.

I really like this Duprees' - like the King Kong on Carnegie Hall, it is much more structured. Never was a fan of the Duprees on YCDTOSA 2.

Just using my computer speakers, the sound is very clean. I was especially pleased with the Cheepnis percussion thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:28 am 

Mine came yesterday. Wow fucking wow! I love the rawness of it all. No overdubs, just jamming and playing very difficult arrangements in the moment. Warts and all. Fucking love it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:00 pm 

Phlakaton wrote:
It's also badass how much the rhythm track for Cheepnis holds up all by itself. Some great stuff even without the rest of the instrumental accompaniment.

Yeah, that track is a great highlight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:49 pm 

this is a fantastic release!
have we ever been graced by liner notes as thorough and interesting as Ruth's? to any one who'll just rip the music onto your computer, or especially any downloaders out there, you are doing yourself a disservice by not reading Ruth's Notes From The Back Row!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:44 pm 

myourself wrote:
have we ever been graced by liner notes as thorough and interesting as Ruth's? to any one who'll just rip the music onto your computer, or especially any downloaders out there, you are doing yourself a disservice by not reading Ruth's Notes From The Back Row!

They are a real treat. So thankful she took the time to do that with so much detail. Really cool read.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:49 pm 

Order complete!
Your order number is xxxxxxx. An email confirmation has been sent
Your Order

2 x
PRE-ORDER Roxy By Proxy CD
2 x
Frank Zappa - Road Tapes, Venue #2 (CD)
2 x
Frank Zappa - Joe's Camouflage CD

Yes! All is on the way! But is it really called "PRE-ORDER Roxy By Proxy"? :-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:28 pm 

Cheepnis Pecussion rules!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:32 pm 

It's here! It's here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:31 pm 

darthpeepee wrote:
Cheepnis Pecussion rules!

True! This is really great. Amazing to listen to and hum the words/melody/riff whatever along with it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:58 pm 

This is an amazing historical release. If you pick it apart and get all nit-picky about it you are really just a dumb asshole.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:44 pm 

I've heard all the circulated shows from the fall '73 run. So to be honest, before I heard Roxy by Proxy, I thought I'd be a little underwhelmed. But fuck me...this release is ULTRA-AMAZING. From Ralph & Chester's double kit rhythmic solo attack in Cheepnis - Percussion to Duke & FZ's blistering solos in RDNZL, Dupree's Paradise (w/ a melody snippet of Montana) & especially the King Kong/Chunga's Revenge/Mr. Green Genes medley, Roxy by Proxy is the ultimate "best of" from this line-up! The only relatively disappointing track for me, is the somewhat "tentative" version of Village Of The Sun.

I highly recommend it and I think it's the best ZFT release thus far, hands down! I can now only imagine what's in store for us once release #100 is issued, which I hope will be the complete or near complete 3 show run on CD/DVD...:twisted:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 pm 

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/121081/ ... y-Released

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:17 am 

myourself wrote:

well that's the fault of the ZFT, normal record companies would sell this on itunes with a digital booklet. but because they don't i won't be reading it, not that bothered anymore..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:19 am 

Just finished. All killer, no filler. Like Roxy, but without all of the stuff I always fast forward through! (the talky bits on Bebop Tango) Not a dull spot and the band is unbelievably tight. Essential listening to any Zappa freak and may just be the ultimate FZ live experience on cd, in terms of performance, song selection, and sound quality!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:20 am 

mistrijah wrote:
myourself wrote:

well that's the fault of the ZFT, normal record companies would sell this on itunes with a digital booklet. but because they don't i won't be reading it, not that bothered anymore..

From my perspective the so called fault is your ignorance of MP3 having significant compromised sound, but then again I guess you could support the project by purchasing it and ripping it to a low res file.

On top of that I don't see digital booklets having copy protection. If and when I am interested in Zappa being in a different format it is strictly Hi-RES 24 bit/96kHz. I'm interested in Lossless FLAC or Blue Ray Audio. For now the CD at 16 bit 1,411 kbps is the minimum fidelity that I'll go along with. I see no reason for this to be sold in some lo-res format.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:35 am 

There goes Trendy hating on FZ fans again

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:57 am 

After this great release and those other great releases like road tapes#2 or dub room special i have to ask: does anybody still want the Roxy DVDs?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:10 am 

ursinator wrote:
After this great release and those other great releases like road tapes#2 or dub room special i have to ask: does anybody still want the Roxy DVDs?

Yep!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:47 am 

ursinator wrote:

YES.

These releases prove to me what was already clear from the unofficial recordings: that it is WORTH releasing live material, that it really enrichens the oeuvre, that it brings REAL musical experience, it adds to the knowledge we have about FZ.

I hereby declare to be ready to buy SOME MORE. (spring '75, spring '80, any 88, Petit Wazoo II, winter '70, Zappa Affair '84 - should I continue? :-) )

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:51 am 

This has to be the best version of Dupree's Par-o-dice I've ever fucking heard. holy shit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:39 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
mistrijah wrote:
myourself wrote:

From my perspective the so called fault is your ignorance of MP3 having significant compromised sound, but then again I guess you could support the project by purchasing it and ripping it to a low res file.

On top of that I don't see digital booklets having copy protection. If and when I am interested in Zappa being in a different format it is strictly Hi-RES 24 bit/96kHz. I'm interested in Lossless FLAC or Blue Ray Audio. For now the CD at 16 bit 1,411 kbps is the minimum fidelity that I'll go along with. I see no reason for this to be sold in some lo-res format.

Digital and copy-protected. Two words that do not exist in the same reality. MP3 at 320 when done properly - is not a bad format and I bet you cant tell the difference on a casual listen anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:13 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
This has to be the best version of Dupree's Par-o-dice I've ever fucking heard. holy shit.

me too!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:58 am 

the only thing that bugs me about this is the way it is tracked. I don't like the way the intros are tacked onto the end of the previous track. fucking annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:07 am 

Bobby wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

me too!

Best ever? Not sure about that (for instance I think I will probably go back to the Road Tapes version more often) but it's a nice one with the usual great funk intro from Duke and a good although short solo by FZ.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next