Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy is coming...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:18 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
the only thing that bugs me about this is the way it is tracked. I don't like the way the intros are tacked onto the end of the previous track. fucking annoying.
Complaining already? What a hypocrite. :P

Fortunately, there's still such a thing as a record store, so I was able to score a copy of it without all the presale drama. This release sounds great. It's encouraging that the version of Penguin Bondage is totally different from the original Roxy album version...which answers my earlier question. See how easy that was?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:18 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
the only thing that bugs me about this is the way it is tracked. I don't like the way the intros are tacked onto the end of the previous track. fucking annoying.

Thank you. I was trying to not sound like I was looking for something to bitch about, but it really is annoying. The intro to Village should obviously be at the beginning of Village, not the last 30 seconds of RDNZL. It's just poor craftsmanship, or laziness. After such extreme delays, such silly errors should have been avoided. Still, it goes without saying that this is a fantastic release.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:34 am 

duchamp wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Thank you. I was trying to not sound like I was looking for something to bitch about, but it really is annoying. The intro to Village should obviously be at the beginning of Village, not the last 30 seconds of RDNZL. It's just poor craftsmanship, or laziness. After such extreme delays, such silly errors should have been avoided. Still, it goes without saying that this is a fantastic release.

Lots of CDs have song intros at the end of the prior track, including earlier Zappa ones (for instance, my copy of Bongo Fury has Poofter's Froth... intro at the end of Sam).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:37 am 

Yes, you are correct. Many things exist that should not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:00 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
This has to be the best version of Dupree's Par-o-dice I've ever fucking heard. holy shit.

You are correct jayp. I have always felt that the Dupree's Paradises that I have heard involve too much noodling around. This is tight. Upon third listening, I am really happy with the sound of the recording and the ensemble playing, which is breathtaking. I like the economy of the soloing, just enough to add eyebrows but not too much that the listener tends to lose focus.

I only disagree with the write-up in Jam-whatever that was sent as a link on the last page that this may not have been the best band FZ ever had (I think '88 was), but the ROXY band was the most empathetic and the ensemble passages show both the rehearsed quality of the music and the spontaneity.

It is going to be tough to top this release. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:09 am 

Mr_Heartbreak wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

It was a a legitimate observation not a complaint, you dumb shitdick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:25 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

I'm the same way, I realize it's common to do it this way, but have never understood why the convention hasn't been prologue to _________, then __________ as unique tracks.

"Hey, I heard this really funny intro to Punky Whips, hold on let me Fast Forward through 8 minutes of Montana really quick..."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:03 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
when I am interested in Zappa being in a different format it is strictly Hi-RES 24 bit/96kHz. I'm interested in Lossless FLAC or Blue Ray Audio. For now the CD at 16 bit 1,411 kbps is the minimum fidelity that I'll go along with. I see no reason for this to be sold in some lo-res format.

No music listener needs digital audio in 24bit/96kHz, and it may sound even worse than audio in CD quality.
Howewer, I'd strongly prefer buying losless album via Bandcamp over compressed music on iTunes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Mr_Heartbreak wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

You are such a funny little turd, it's really a kick winding you up. I don't know how other people resist. Now, go home and enjoy your fuckin' Roxy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:46 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
when I am interested in Zappa being in a different format it is strictly Hi-RES 24 bit/96kHz. I'm interested in Lossless FLAC or Blue Ray Audio. For now the CD at 16 bit 1,411 kbps is the minimum fidelity that I'll go along with. I see no reason for this to be sold in some lo-res format.
Man, these so-called fans who can't like a piece of music unless it's of a certain sonic quality. A real fan would like the music for it's form and style ....sound-quality be damned.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:48 pm 

Mr_Heartbreak wrote:
Now, go home and enjoy your fuckin' Roxy!

What did happen to Billy Batts after he said that thing :wink: ?
TT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:17 pm 

My Roxy is coming.

On a side note, I am so impressed with Road Tapes 2, Roxy sort of became an after thought. Based on some comments, it appears Roxy will still deliver all its made out to be and I will hear it in a few days. But RT2 is still in heavy rotation at my house.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:36 pm 

ursinator wrote:
After this great release and those other great releases like road tapes#2 or dub room special i have to ask: does anybody still want the Roxy DVDs?

Roxy By Proxy has officially moistened my manties and the only relief from this would be the release of the Roxy Movie. and i really think this was done intentionally. official release #100 is next and it HAS to be the Roxy Soundtrack and DVD/BluRay. with the way things have been going i don't know if it's going to happen soon but i think it's next.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:49 pm 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
jaypfunk wrote:
you dumb shitdick.

Mr_Heartbreak wrote:
You are such a funny little turd

Delightful language

Yes, delightful language

Frank would be proud

Yes, Frank would be proud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:36 pm 

Florentine Pogen wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
you dumb shitdick.

Mr_Heartbreak wrote:

Delightful language

Yes, delightful language

Frank would be proud

What the fuck do you know what Frank would think. Shut you penis kisser, idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
This is an amazing historical release. If you pick it apart and get all nit-picky about it you are really just a dumb asshole.

jaypfunk wrote:

:?:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:10 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
This is an amazing historical release. If you pick it apart and get all nit-picky about it you are really just a dumb asshole.

jaypfunk wrote:

:?:

Like I said 10 fucking posts ago...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:23 am 

^^a matter of preference^^, not laziness as some idiot stated way above.
I prefer it the way they did it. so go suck an egg.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:41 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Florentine Pogen wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
you dumb shitdick.

Mr_Heartbreak wrote:

Delightful language

Yes, delightful language

Frank would be proud

What the fuck do you know what Frank would think. Shut you penis kisser, idiot.

more homophobia?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:42 am 

My favorite parts so far: T'Mershi Duween and Cheapness drum part. Damn those are beautiful.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:46 am 

NewJPage wrote:
more homophobia?

shut up, politically correct moron.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:29 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
NewJPage wrote:
more homophobia?

doesn't have anything to do with political correctness. It is about respect and social evolution (or lack there of). Is there a reason why you don't drop N-BOMBS in threads? Yes, there is. Now we just need you to catch up with the rest of the non-Russian world on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:35 am 

A few observations about RBP:
1. As a bass player, I love how they mixed Tom Fowler's P-Bass with so much punch.
2. Cheepnis percussion is awesome. In the regular Cheepnis, Ruth's timpanis adds a lot to the duhn-duhns in the middle section.
3. Awesome to hear the Village / Echidna / Wash segue w/o the overdubs.
4. King Kong / Chunga / Green Genes is a powerhouse!
5. Frank's rhythm playing is more prominant on this release. I wonder why he buried his guitar mix on the Roxy album?
6. You can never have too many versions of Inca.
7. Holy crap Mr. Duke! RIP.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:42 am 

NewJPage wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
NewJPage wrote:
more homophobia?

doesn't have anything to do with political correctness. It is about respect and social evolution (or lack there of). Is there a reason why you don't drop N-BOMBS in threads? Yes, there is. Now we just need you to catch up with the rest of the non-Russian world on this one.

shut it, lefty pindick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:49 am 

tiboudre wrote:
A few observations about RBP:

5. Frank's rhythm playing is more prominant on this release. I wonder why he buried his guitar mix on the Roxy album?

agreed, it's really great. i think it may be because if you listen really close (Village being one really good example) he changed the rhythms quite a bit in his overdubbed parts and/or wanted them to blend in more than take the forefront in the mixes. just speculation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next