Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy is coming...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:51 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Mr_Heartbreak wrote:
So it looks like five of the tracks - Penguin in Bondage, Village of the Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing and Cheepnis - are songs that were included on the original Roxy album. Given the ZFT penchant for repackaging and reselling previously released material (see Finer Moments, for example), can someone confirm that these are different versions of those songs? Many thanks.

Fucking complaining already? Idiot.

In your own words... REHASH! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:00 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Mr_Heartbreak wrote:
So it looks like five of the tracks - Penguin in Bondage, Village of the Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing and Cheepnis - are songs that were included on the original Roxy album. Given the ZFT penchant for repackaging and reselling previously released material (see Finer Moments, for example), can someone confirm that these are different versions of those songs? Many thanks.

Fucking complaining already? Idiot.

It was a legitimate question. And you have some balls calling anybody an idiot, when you are clearly a semi-literate troglodyte. Now, why don't you suck my hairy asshole?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:14 pm 

The Good Ole FZ Forum...

"The name of this song is T'Mershi Duween, a bongo number"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:02 pm 

I got my copy in the mail today just before I left for work. I didn't even realize it shipped just yesterday...What a pleasant surprise! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 pm 

Does that say "Cheepnis - Percussion"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:18 pm 

Good to see the King Kong/Chungas/Mr. Geen Genes medley closing out the disc. One of my favorite medleys ever.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:18 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Yes, it does! Afterward, he introduces the full version, adding something like "now with everything else stuck to it".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:39 pm 

Nice! Ordered last night, and got a shipping notice today. Will be sometime next week, but I hope to have Philly '76 coming tomorrow. Thanks for the info Arkay!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:23 am 

Great. I'll order a.s.a.p.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:17 am 

Mr_Heartbreak wrote:

Mr_Heartbreak. This is by no means one of your finer moments. In can confirm that you lack a sense of "raw unbridled passion". Can you confirm that you've been using your eyes and ears since whatever time you purchased the original Roxy & Elsewhere project?

By no means is the production of Roxy by Proxy a "pennchant for repackaging and reselling previously released material". Anyone that thinks such is pushing some penchant behavior of ignoramusland.

Even if any of the given tracks are from the exact same performance, be mindfull that Frank pioneered the usage of overdubs on live material on the original project. Why would one suspect that Roxy by Proxy is anything but Raw Live material? and that's quite different than an alubum with overdubs on top of live recordings.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:31 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Mr_Heartbreak wrote:

Mr_Heartbreak. This is by no means one of your finer moments. In can confirm that you lack a sense of "raw unbridled passion". Can you confirm that you've been using your eyes and ears since whatever time you purchased the original Roxy & Elsewhere project?

Even if any of the given tracks are from the exact same performance, be mindfull that Frank pioneered the usage of overdubs on live material on the original project.

I think you need to broaden your horizons. Frank did not "pioneer" overdubs on live material

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:32 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

They did a Ralph/Chester/Ruth only performance of Cheepnis a few times earlier in this fall 73 tour.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:38 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Even if any of the given tracks are from the exact same performance...

As was stated at the time the pre-order was announced, this consists of "never-before-released Frank Zappa master recordings from the Roxy Performances of 9 & 10 December 1973".

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:54 am 

NewJPage wrote:

I think you need to broaden your horizons. Frank did not "pioneer" overdubs on live material

My so called horizons are quite diverse. In speaking of one of the Pioneers of Overdubbing I also have quite a bit of Les Paul's recordings.
Just because Frank was not making records with overdubs in 1930 does not mean he was not a pioneer of taking live recordings and putting overdubs on them.
Start a new page and give proper credit to Frank for his achievements. Roxy & Elsewhere and Sheik Yerbouti are two, if not the finest produced overdub based projects in the 20tieth century.

With regards to the tape medium, in the modern sense, that is all about extinct. Modern pro-tools productions of new music are a different animal.

In regards to working in the tape format. Not only in what Frank had achieved in his short time, but the preservation efforts that the ZFT have been doing. Some artists such as The Beatles, and their solo efforts, have in recent years put out "stripped down" versions of studio recordings. Roxy by Proxy may very well be a look into that but of a much higher live ambient domain. Far too little credit is given to FZs usage of overdubs and his overall achievements in putting out a large portion of his catalog where the basic work came from live music.

It is not merely about making a live recording sound better. Frank had an art. Folks can argue all they want of who was the first to step on the overdubbing soil, but it is clear that Frank was a 20tieth century pioneer of how he went about taking live recordings and making a project with it.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:05 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
Even if any of the given tracks are from the exact same performance...

As was stated at the time the pre-order was announced, this consists of "never-before-released Frank Zappa master recordings from the Roxy Performances of 9 & 10 December 1973".

Thankfully you are stating what should be the obvious.

My point is that these "never-before-released Frank Zappa master recordings from the Roxy Performances of 9 & 10 December 1973" are raw and unbridled... Sans Overdubs.

Let's look at Penguin In Bondage.
On Roxy & Elsewhere that comes from two separate shows, one being one of the Roxy Shows and the other from a Chicago show 5 months later.

Even if the Roxy by Proxy selection of Penguin In Bondage included part of the same performance, we'll see about that, the Roxy & Elsewhere portion may very well have overdubs added to it.
These fans that carry some rehash agenda are really missing things.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:07 am 

I don't think the ZFT has a "penchant" for repackaging already available stuff although they have done so on occasion - FZPTMOFZ, and the repeat of the 80's remix of WOIIFTM on Lumpy Money (although I like the remix, my 1986 Ryko CD still sounds fine).

Finer Moments is an album FZ put together in 1972 and although some of the music appeared again later, the mixes and edits are different. It's a good release and if there's a chance to get more like it I'd welcome it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:13 am 

pbuzby wrote:
I don't think the ZFT has a "penchant" for repackaging already available stuff although they have done so on occasion - FZPTMOFZ, and the repeat of the 80's remix of WOIIFTM on Lumpy Money (although I like the remix, my 1986 Ryko CD still sounds fine).

Finer Moments is an album FZ put together in 1972 and although some of the music appeared again later, the mixes and edits are different. It's a good release and if there's a chance to get more like it I'd welcome it.

Well put, it's unfortunate that some people see a song tittle and start misrepresenting the composers intent.
When someone comes along and starts using terminology like "penchant for repackaging and reselling previously released material"

In this case it's not just about remixing or remastering. Roxy & Elsewhere was an album with lots of FZ studio production going on.
It should be clear that Roxy by Proxy is a look into Raw Unbridled Passion. The music as it was back in December of 1973.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:16 am 

As a p0ker player i am patient and still waiting for the movie :|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:58 am 

Glad to hear something is happening. I just checked my order at Music Today and it is 'processing', that would explain the absence of a dispatch notice I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:08 am 

Like I said... Mr_Heartbreak is an idiot!

He's probably one of those fuckheads who doesn't even buy the physical product and then later asks questions about what the specifics are in the liner notes. ASSHOLE!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:00 pm 

Gonna order it right now.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:22 pm 

I was SO hoping mine would arrive today. Not yet. Has it come to the rest of you in 'regular' mail, UPS, or what?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:49 pm 

ZutboF wrote:
As a p0ker player i am patient and still waiting for the movie :|

There will be different tracks though
weird i think there are no Bootleg recordings of Roxy and there more Official release bits and bobs concert time with rec from the 9/10/12 most probably the 11th?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:48 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Like I said... Mr_Heartbreak is an idiot!

He's probably one of those fuckheads who doesn't even buy the physical product and then later asks questions about what the specifics are in the liner notes. ASSHOLE!!

Because people who write all in caps and then put a bunch of exclamation marks at the end of their posts have sooooo much credibility. Hahahaha.
Seek therapy, son, you have a real anger management problem.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:11 pm 

All this arguing is not getting me any reviews it just requires scrolling.

Mine will come Monday. Any tidbits you who have it can share? Unique passages? Sound quality reviews?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next