Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zappa 100th?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:51 am 

Frank Zappa, “Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow” and “Down In De Dew” (7” single| “Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow” FZ 1974 single edit reissue | “Down In De Dew” FZ 1973 Alternate Mix – previously unreleased)

“This sizzles if you like Frank Zappa,” Gayle Zappa says. Recorded in 1974, yet originally unreleased, “Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow” and “Down In De Dew” are from the forthcoming 40th Anniversary Edition of Apostrophe(’) and will be available for the first time on a 7” single.

So, 100th should be the making of of Apostrophe !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:26 am 

'Twill be Dance Me This, GZ sez here: http://www.celebrityaccess.com/members/ ... 4o48r52l23

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:14 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
'Twill be Dance Me This, GZ sez here: http://www.celebrityaccess.com/members/ ... 4o48r52l23

Try this link...that one doesn't load for me:

http://www.celebrityaccess.com/members/profile.html?id=676

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:24 pm 

really hope this is the one, not many people seem to be excited but for me its the one :-) hope it's out halloween, i never pre order or buy CD's anymore (itunes plus streaming) but i will buy this sucker.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:05 pm 

If Gail says that's what it is, then that's maybe what it will be, dammit!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:03 pm 

The fact that she has actually publicly designated Dance Me This as release #100 is pretty definite. I'm still not allowing myself to get excited about it. This album is a kind of holy grail for me, I've wanted it since I first heard it mentioned around the time of his death. It's somewhat bizarre for me to know that he was working on that album during the first year of my marriage and we've just celebrated our twenty-second anniversary and I still haven't heard it. My sons didn't even exist then and now one is nineteen and the other making preparations for the celebration of his twenty-first. What I'm trying to do here is put some flesh on the bones of the idea of waiting that long.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:40 am 

Oh go and Dance Me This...
We're not going gently into that good night like good little bot are we? I'm not. I'll sees it when I sees it! And I hope I sees it soon! Until then it ain't here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:31 am 

This is encouraging I suppose, but nothing on Zappa.com? I agree with Arkay and Charlie Brown. Ugh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:43 pm 

@Philostopher You agree with Arkay and Charlie Brown where?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:11 pm 

Arkay made this post on the So...what's next? thread.

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Thanx Sterbus. But, shit, is that the Theater Release or a DVD or both? WTF does "soon" mean around here any more? Hell, what does "completed" mean any more? Ugh.

I just threw in the Charlie Brown. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:20 am 

Philostopher wrote:
Arkay made this post on the So...what's next? thread.

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Thanx Sterbus. But, shit, is that the Theater Release or a DVD or both? WTF does "soon" mean around here any more? Hell, what does "completed" mean any more? Ugh.

I just threw in the Charlie Brown. :mrgreen:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:43 pm 

Hola polydigm... good to see ya around here. I'm also thinking that on one level or another, everyone here is in agreement on: Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:53 pm 

Cheers to you too Arkay.

On the question of completed, Gail does say in that interview that Dance Me This was completed by Frank. This just increases the pain of waiting this long to hear it. What earthly reasons other than purely personal ones (that may even make sense on some level) could lead to it remaining unreleased for all this time?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:20 am 

In that same interview she is also quoted to have said that four of the last albums FZ was working towards completion in his last year included 200 Motels and Transfusion which have aklready been released.

Now, what the fuck is that?

Could it mean that she was referring to the LSO recordings that were rereleased on CD in 1995 and the interviewer being uninformed just thought that meant 200 motels?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:30 am 

...and we're right back to ugh again. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:06 am 

I might be in the minority here - but I personally have no interest in Dance Me This Not a fan of synclavier work. It just doesn't resonate with me for some reason. I try every once in a while to get into it - but I wont reach for it on my own.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:05 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
I might be in the minority here - but I personally have no interest in Dance Me This Not a fan of synclavier work. It just doesn't resonate with me for some reason. I try every once in a while to get into it - but I wont reach for it on my own.

You are, and I feel the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:17 pm 

I pay no attention to the numbering because it is not the way i'd do it and it's pointless to fight. I also agree the Old Masters sets being included are a stretch fer sure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:46 pm 

My understanding of Dance Me This is that it is not just a Synclavier project. It has a lot to do with the musical soirées he was holding during his last year. I really like the piece that Gail released when Kongar-ol Ondar died, which I believe is indicative of what Frank was up to at the time. I love the way people make up their minds about this stuff before they've even heard it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:48 pm 

I appreciate the extreme pretentiousness of Zappa's synclavier stuff. It makes me smile every time I hear it. Which is rarely. The best thing about synclavier music is anyone could do it. It's like punk rock. You don't have to know how to play.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:46 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I appreciate the extreme pretentiousness of Zappa's synclavier stuff. It makes me smile every time I hear it. Which is rarely. The best thing about synclavier music is anyone could do it. It's like punk rock. You don't have to know how to play.

well, I can hardly imagine, how could some average punk rock musician make music as complex and atmospheric at the same time, as you can find for example on CPIII. I haven't heard anything similar to this (maybe Conlon Nancarrow player piano compositions are sort of) - obviously you have to know, how to play the Synclavier to make it sound as good, as this is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:57 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Not really as it is not a playing tool, you need to look at it as a composers tool, and FZ before everything else was a composer and the Synclaivier for him was the ultimate composing tool, I for one cannot get enough of the stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:21 pm 

Synclaviers play themselves. That was my point. You don't have to know anything about music to feed the machine. Random tones assigned to instrument sounds, tossed into time signatures at any tempo you choose. Theoretically, a monkey could do it.
Stuff like CP3 sounds very random and very edited. Hum a line or two from it. Bet you can't. Not off the top of your head.
It's much easier to "compose" that kind of stuff with a synclavier than it is to play it. And only masochists would wanna learn to play that shit! In a way the synclavier stuff is the "comedy" aspect of Zappa's music take n to it's extreme conclusion. That's what I like about it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:28 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Synclaviers play themselves. That was my point. You don't have to know anything about music to feed the machine. Random tones assigned to instrument sounds, tossed into time signatures at any tempo you choose. Theoretically, a monkey could do it.
Stuff like CP3 sounds very random and very edited. Hum a line or two from it. Bet you can't. Not off the top of your head.
It's much easier to "compose" that kind of stuff with a synclavier than it is to play it. And only masochists would wanna learn to play that shit! In a way the synclavier stuff is the "comedy" aspect of Zappa's music take n to it's extreme conclusion. That's what I like about it.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Dio Fa, bitch.

I've listened to CPIII maybe 2 or 3 times. I won't ever get into it. There's one song on there that sounds like he hit random play and let it go. Luckily there's a at least 80 other recordings that I like.

Last edited by calvin2hikers on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:33 pm 

Wow, Cal! You should start a Zappa synclavier-compositions-only A cappella cover band.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next