Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: "The Trust"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:11 pm 

Would anyone ever pre-order or even buy directly from "The Trust" again ?

Post subject: Re: "The Trust"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:21 pm 

Of course I would, because it beats iTunes and gives them cash flow to mine the vault. They think they are right and we are ungrateful whiners, but they control his legacy and it's their ball game and their rules.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:50 pm 

It's pretty silly question. Would anyone? Of course someone would. Do you really have no idea? There are shitloads of people in the world, and you want to know if any of them would ever in the future pre-order or buy anything directly from ZFT again? Or we're you just trying to ask a silly question to make the same point dozens have already made?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 pm 

duchamp wrote:
It's pretty silly question. Would anyone? Of course someone would. Do you really have no idea? There are shitloads of people in the world, and you want to know if any of them would ever in the future pre-order or buy anything directly from ZFT again? Or we're you just trying to ask a silly question to make the same point dozens have already made?

I believe Obdula X has posed, as we say in the trade, a rhetorical question.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:46 pm 

In Zappa We Trust... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:11 am 

Of course they will. I just ordered Camouflage and everything was fine. Not sure why they keep pushing back RBP but there was a similar issue with Lumpy Money a few years ago that was eventually resolved and never mentioned again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:48 am 

I would be more likely to trust a reputable Amazon seller and just buy it used...as long as the price is not more than the original ZFT price + shipping.

That is the wonderful thing about capitalism: you can buy anything used and you are not "ripping off" the original manufacturer. Once I buy something, I am free to resell it to anyone I want, for whatever price the market will bear. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:38 am 

I wouldn't pre order again it's not worth the hassle. But I'm so happy to be able to buy a Holland Greco cd from Zappa Records soon, this is what we have all really been waiting for isn't it??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:23 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I believe Obdula X has posed, as we say in the trade, a rhetorical question.

It's not properly rhetorical. If the weather was shit right now and I asked "Isn't the weather shit right now?", I wouldn't expect an answer because I would be rightfully assuming few would disagree.

In this case, the shit bag who started the thread and asked the "rhetorical" question is implying a ground swell of feelings against the ZFT which match his own. This implication has to be answered because many of us do not feel the way he does.

Yes, this whole Roxy thing has become a massive cock up, but it's not making me hate the ZFT. In the shit bag's eyes that makes me a sheep, right? (rhetorical - it's a joke ...). I'm not defending the ZFT, I'm just accepting it the way it is. It is what it is. We'll get what we get when we get it. The main event finished 20 years ago. I'm not wishing my life away. I'm not generating cancer producing energy for what I have no power over. I use most of my available energy being busy living a full and enjoyable life.

This guy is no better than Trendy, but I'll give him the kudos for investing less words and cutting to the chase.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 pm 

My understanding is that a rhetorical question doesn't seek an answer but is used to make a point. I don't agree with Obdulla's point but I still think he was posing a rhetorical question. I could be wrong though. Maybe he meant it literally.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:51 am 

I get what you're saying, it probably is a rhetorical question. My point is that rhetoric is generally for avoidance of the truth so don't let the bastard get away with it. He's a sorry piece of shit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:07 am 

Houlala[color=#0000FF]![/color]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:28 am 

Mr_Heartbreak wrote:
I would be more likely to trust a reputable Amazon seller and just buy it used...as long as the price is not more than the original ZFT price + shipping.

That is the wonderful thing about capitalism: you can buy anything used and you are not "ripping off" the original manufacturer. Once I buy something, I am free to resell it to anyone I want, for whatever price the market will bear. :mrgreen:

I agree. Or buy it new, probably cheaper. Poly, you can call me shitbag, but with a face like that I wouldn't call anyone anything. It was sarcasm (the question). I am having a blast listening to everyone bitch about not getting what they paid for on time. Don' worry Poly, you will get it when it is done. Just like the downloads. Get used to it. Maybe you already have.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:18 pm 

OBDULA X wrote:
I am having a blast listening to everyone bitch about not getting what they paid for on time

What's this "everyone" shit?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:30 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
OBDULA X wrote:
I am having a blast listening to everyone bitch about not getting what they paid for on time

Exactly. Don't be speaking for me. I'll get Roxy when it's released. Period.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:10 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
OBDULA X wrote:
:roll: It's rhetorical.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:07 am 

polydigm wrote:
I'm not generating cancer producing energy for what I have no power over.

I'd like this on a t-shirt please Poly! Love it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:05 am 

OBDULA X wrote:
Poly, you can call me shitbag, but with a face like that I wouldn't call anyone anything.
IrishBoris wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I'm not generating cancer producing energy for what I have no power over.

I'd like this on a t-shirt please Poly! Love it.

And a picture of my ugly face on the back?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:00 am 

"I wouldn't pre order again it's not worth the hassle."

This had me laughing: what hassle?

Waiting for a special release of a record album is a "hassle?"

Man, I'd like your life, where something this minor, this inconsequential, this based on other's actions and NO EFFORT on your part qualifies as a "hassle." Lucky bastard you are ...

Until a *real* hassle occurs, that is. Then, my gawd - WHAT WILL YOU DO?!?

Look - ZFT = Unprofessionamal. I've known that since Civilization Phase III delays, bro. Big fuckin' shrug. I *expect* a delay, now. It's hardly a ZFT release without one - and they've had so many on time/unexpected now that Roxy By Proxy has to make up for them. I can dig it. We'll have it soon enough.

Until then: stop it. You'll hurt your throat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:13 pm 

I'll trust the Trust LESS if the reason this thing is taking so long is another stupid "tchatchkie" like the crap that came with the Hammersmith CD set! When they were just releasing shows with minimal packaging (Buffalo,OZ, etc) things didn't seem to take as long from announcement to shipping!

The trust has ways of getting this stuff out, but they sit on it with reckless hemorrhoids on a bumpy train!!

As I've told Gail many times..people are PAYING for bootlegs that sound like crap...with minimal production and packaging, you could put out at least a show or two a month! (and offer them for download) but noooooo...... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:25 pm 

Jaminbenb wrote:
I'll trust the Trust LESS if the reason this thing is taking so long is another stupid "tchatchkie" like the crap that came with the Hammersmith CD set! When they were just releasing shows with minimal packaging (Buffalo,OZ, etc) things didn't seem to take as long from announcement to shipping!

The trust has ways of getting this stuff out, but they sit on it with reckless hemorrhoids on a bumpy train!!

As I've told Gail many times..people are PAYING for bootlegs that sound like crap...with minimal production and packaging, you could put out at least a show or two a month! (and offer them for download) but noooooo...... :roll:

"Downloads" is a bad word around here... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:47 am 

Plook wrote:
Jaminbenb wrote:

"Downloads" is a bad word around here... :mrgreen:

Why? It's an easy way to get stuff with minimal overhead! If Gail was SMART, and we all know she isn't, she'd be putting old shows up for either Mp3 or loss-less download, and sticking up Dweezil's current shows for the same, and raking in the cash! You can walk out of an Allman Brothers show with a copy of what you just heard! It's not rocket science!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:32 am 

Everyone thinks they are smart...

I wonder if there is a comparison to the sales of diamonds. Companies hold on to mass quantities of diamonds so that they can sell them for the greatest profit. Profit for the company, not so good for the people who like to own diamonds. They get to pay more per diamond and have less choice.
I am guessing that it is the ZFT's belief that if one was to provide mass quantities of cds, it would make for worse sales of the stuff that they have in the warehouse. The people who buy cds would be happier because they get more choice. But the company is worse off because it has to make more material and sell it for less because there is so much of it and their current inventory doesn't budge.
Mp3s aren't an inventory problem, but it does water down the content. I do wonder if sales of Z in NY or Best Band would suffer if there were a Grateful Dead or King Crimson amount of live material available. I believe that the ZFT would rather have one FZ-mixed awesome live album than 20 quick-mix live shows from the same period, even though fans would obviously choose all of the above. Of course, if the answer is to take your time and eventually make a ton of live albums, well, that is what they are doing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:43 am 

Yeah, when I'm sitting on nearly 100 albums, the vast majority of which I never get tired of, it's hard to bitch that they don't release enough.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:46 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Everyone thinks they are smart...

I wonder if there is a comparison to the sales of diamonds. Companies hold on to mass quantities of diamonds so that they can sell them for the greatest profit. Profit for the company, not so good for the people who like to own diamonds. They get to pay more per diamond and have less choice.
I am guessing that it is the ZFT's belief that if one was to provide mass quantities of cds, it would make for worse sales of the stuff that they have in the warehouse. The people who buy cds would be happier because they get more choice. But the company is worse off because it has to make more material and sell it for less because there is so much of it and their current inventory doesn't budge.
Mp3s aren't an inventory problem, but it does water down the content. I do wonder if sales of Z in NY or Best Band would suffer if there were a Grateful Dead or King Crimson amount of live material available. I believe that the ZFT would rather have one FZ-mixed awesome live album than 20 quick-mix live shows from the same period, even though fans would obviously choose all of the above. Of course, if the answer is to take your time and eventually make a ton of live albums, well, that is what they are doing.

I would agree with everything you said if we're not for the fact that Zappa's fan base is probably shrinking, and that fan base probably reached some sort of saturation point within the last 20years.
(I know new fans do appear from time to time, but you get my drift. The Younger generation would probably D/l everything for nothing anyway.
Plus, when GZ carks it, what then?