Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:14 am 

We all know Frank had a lot of unfinished projects, many of which have been brought to us since '93. But what about unrecorded compositions or compositions that only lived in the world of his Synclavier? Working under the assumption that there's lots of them, some questions started popping into my head. Would it be a 'good idea' for ZPZ to make an 'FZ' album from unrecorded compositions? Would that be too weird? Would the 'superfans' love that they could hear something they've never heard before or would they blast the ZFT for interpreting what the master might have done?

I'm not sure I have entirely formed an opinion on the matter, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 am 

My enjoyment of all things Zappa, does not come from what he composed, or how he composed it.
It comes from Frank's performance/presentation of it.
It may sound nice, by other arrangers/musicians, but it wouldn't prompt me to obtain it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:55 pm 

I think it would certainly be preferable to performing material which is already available on countless live and studio albums, both produced by FZ himself and posthumous. I mean, what is the point of recreating the Zappa in New York version of "I'm the Slime"? ZPZ is not the '76 band, they should be doing something new and interesting, and performing unrecorded compositions would be one way of achieving that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:59 pm 

Imaginary Diseases wasn't bad, if not unspectacular. I'd give it a go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:58 pm 

I am fully on boardwith this concept, as a means of recreating the excitement a live Zappa concert would entail having new songs you'd never heard before whipped out. I posted a thread in the Wishlist section about my deep desire to see ZPZ make an attempt at recording their version of Hunchentoot. there are loads of other things that could be done along that line. I do like that they choose something from each new release to showcase that is new.

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:02 pm 

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of starting with recording some unreleased Synclavier based compositions.

I know G-Spot wasn't unrecorded / unreleased, but it comes to mind as an example how this might be a cool idea. As far as I know FZ never recorded or performed it with a rock band. (Forgive me if it's on a bootleg somewhere - I'm not up on the unofficial catalog.) ZPZ did a hell of a job translating the Synclavier (or Yellow Shark) arrangement into the rock band context. What if they could do that with other Synclavier pieces? They are essentially arranged already - they just need some superhuman musicians to bring them to life. That couldn't be a bad thing to hear.

It might be a little more of a stretch taking something from paper to a fully produced 'new' song.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:41 pm 

It's nice that you address this topic.
Firstly I believe you are aware ZPZ have performed several unreleased arrangements
some of which are now out on FZ Philly '76.

We can take a look at the many possibilities of performance but in doing so I think it is always
deserved to take a look at composition and arrangement designs the composer left for unreleased works.
The blue prints of these unreleased works can be a previous live performance by any given configuration FZ directed
but can just as easily be a bunch of notes on paper or data in a synclavier. It's not that I totally disregard rearranging
unreleased works but if at all possible whatever the "blue prints" are ZPZ or anyone should if at all possible
follow the composers intent which is the "Blue Print".

Hunchentoot is one such Zappa work that some have suggested ZPZ perform.
Regardless of the popularity quotient of this unreleased work
unfortunately DZPZ is not a 22-piece orchestra and a 10-voice chorus.
Hey it's great that fans are still looking deeper and deeper into what the composer did during his life.
Pondering new arrangements are fine but just how far do we go with rearrangement.

Last time I checked Igor Stravinsky passed away in April of 1971. If Igor has any blue prints lying around
I am sure I would be very interested to hear it. Could DZPZ rearrange Igor Stravinsky for their Core Ensemble?
Well it certainly seems they are competently capable of just about anything these days but with some works
one may think sticking closely to the vest of the composers intent carries the weight more times than not.

Hey I really don't mind some playfulness of compositional hooks being used for a given motif of amusement and artistic development
but I think a weight factor of composer intent objectives should be applied to what goes on in such performances night in and night out, show after show, year after year. When it seems the composers work is being held hostage by a circular wagon train formation it gets extremely questionable no matter what the workout is of any set of capable musicians.

Here is an example of many unreleased works. DZPZ could hire an additional keyboard & bassist and go out and perform core arrangement performances of THE BIG ONE and other 1978 Palladium Shows just as FZ had done. Let's say DZPZ got those arrangements down 100%. If DZ even added some Horns & Vibes in certain portions of the program I don't think that would take the composers intent too far off it's course. If and when DZPZ ever does that those that want to see it live and or buy a Video or CD will , those that do not find that thrilling will stay home and spend their money elsewhere. I still like going to live performances of Igor Stravinsky works. DZPZ are my modern orchestra that time and time again deliver the goods I want to help make my lifestyle complete. Frank Zappa's Rock & Roll Orchestra's stopped touring in 1988. DZPZ carries on in 2010 and no one does it quite on the level that they do since FZ left for his final tour in 1993.

DZW AUDIO
http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/songs/ ... rformances

I will even throw in a little Unauthorized Youtube for rarely performed amusement purposes.
Please someone with a youtube Acct, someone should notify this guy to upload these vids to DZW.
If someone is going to video a show the least they can do is share it at the Official Website.

Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa-RDNZL(part-1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c44U8vvNW8g
Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa-RDNZL(part-2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_fnziEyt8&NR=1

Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa-Jones Crusher&Wonderful Wino
Dweezil Zappa jammin' at Revolution Live in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. 1/8/2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0v5A4P4tw

Not that Wonderful Wino is unreleased or never performed but
Playground Psychotics does nto seem to be one of the well know Official Releases.

Give me fi-i-i-i-i-ive bucks
And a hot meal

PEACE

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:16 am 

The soundcheck of Sleep Dirt in Phillly, 021288:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOPLy5sW5c

If there's a good recording of this, I wouldn't mind hearing it completed by the Dweez and co + horns...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:52 am 

Then Suddenly.................

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:52 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
The soundcheck of Sleep Dirt in Phillly, 021288:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOPLy5sW5c

If there's a good recording of this, I wouldn't mind hearing it completed by the Dweez and co + horns...

Dark Clothes,

These DZPZ "Wish List" ideas are an interesting topic be it
FZ Catalog, Unreleased Live Arrangements, Unreleased Rehearsal Arrangements, Synclavier or Notes On Paper
that FZ left behind that can be used for blue prints for the performance of his work.
Speaking of FZ compositions and specific arrangements only performed in whole or in part at rehearsals
who knows maybe DZPZ can perform Dragonmaster or Solitude in addition to Sleep Dirt.

Where you say "Dweez and co + horns.."
The current core lineup does not have a series of horn players that all blow in unison.
I believe at some point FZ had done other live arrangements of Sleep Dirt but 1 can not be 5.
Scheila Gonzalez does play various horns, sometimes two horns at once but if you are looking
for a 5 piece horn section that FZs 1988 Tour had I think it is pertinent to address the differences
in the context of the request and what FZ did at sound check at Philly '88.

DZ has a list of songs he wants to bring to the live stage. What DZPZ adds just keeps digging
deeper and deeper into the composers canon. Po-Jama People is one that has been requested for some time
and DZ recently has stated it's on the list but please whatever your desire may be
make your presence be known at Dweezil's Official Website.

Dweezil has been very active at his website interacting with his community
so bringing these matters to the core focus on everything DZ is involved with would be more on target
at Dweezil Zappa World as opposed to the Official Zappa Forum here which is in general discussion of FZ.
While you are there enjoy lengthy samplings from his forthcoming Double CD Dweezil Zappa "The Return Of The Son Of....."
that are live recordings from 2007 through 2009 tour stops.
http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/songs/ ... rformances

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:
The soundcheck of Sleep Dirt in Phillly, 021288 ...
Was this only done as a sound check during that tour? It gives the hint that there might be other interesting stuff as well not yet released.

Post subject: Re: trendmonger speak
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
DZPZ are my modern orchestra that time and time again deliver the goods I want to help make my lifestyle complete.

do you actually say things like that out loud, in conversations with people? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:16 am 

I don't see why it wouldn't work with his classical compositions (which he must have wrote a lot, i'm having an hard time thinking what he recorded is all he ever wrote). Works for classical composers in general, does it not?

Frank Zappa fans who come primarily from rock music may not find that interesting, but i would, heh.