Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:12 am 

;DHey man, what a fantastic album Zappa give us! ;D<br>Is difficult to say one, but particularly, I sleep every night with<br>"Son of Orange County" and "Don´t you ever wash that thing?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:15 pm 

No kidding about the brilliance of Roxy and Elsewhere!!!!! I love Frank's spoken intros--really sounds like he's having a great time! Penguin in Bondage, Pygmy Twylyte, and one of my all-time faves, Cheepnis! Even some of my friends who did'nt like him much found his intro hilarious! "And the girl falls down and twists her ankle..of course she does!"<br>                                     Trouble Comin' Everyday was great, too...very soulful and bluesy style. It was one of the first (Apostrophe' was the first) L.P.'s by FZ I ever bought, great introduction to the man and his live performances!  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:55 pm 

The Be Bop Tango......what a great piece of music and so fantastically performed (especially George Duke with his ''fast little notes'' he plays with his mouth...awesome!!!)<br>I only wish i could have been there to see it...yeah, i am definitley born way to late.......<br>That's why i would really like to see the release of that ROXY DVD in the near future (and please please please please not only in the USA, but in THE NETHERLANDS as well) so that i get an idea of how this concerts really were like if you had been there.<br>This is one of two FZ performances (the 1978 Halloween Palladium concerts being the second) that has a kind of mysticism about it, both were a great series of performances and are favorites of a lot of FZ-fans....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:00 am 

Echidna's Arf (Of You) <br>Don't you Ever wsh that Thing?<br>Oh No<br>Son of Orange County<br>More Trouble Every Day<br>Cheepnis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:51 am 

I favour the complete side two of the original 2 LP set (Bruce`s solo on Wash That Thing, I mean,... Gosh!)<br>But as a whole it`s such a fantastic album! I could cry just thinking of it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:25 am 

The Echidna's Arf/Don't You Ever Wash That Thing combo is my favorite, and one of the most brilliant pieces of music in the whole FZ catalog.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:36 pm 

this was one of the only fz albums i bought out of sequence, maybe because his albums were flowing fast & furious, anyway, son of orange county was my gateway to the rest of this album, imo, better than the original o.c. lumber truck...the solo & pre-solo parts rock!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:10 am 

Just like a penguin in bondage, boinggggg<br><br>O YA O YA O YA<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:25 pm 

twilight, dummy up, echindnas and dont you ever - plus yum yum yummy yummy yum on cheepness and the bass  line played under the lyrics watched a movie from holywood on same song - also end of tango and . great stuff never betterd.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:34 pm 

Pick a song. Any song. Roxy & Elsewhere falls right in the middle of my favorite Zappa decade.  And, it is a true masterpiece!<br><br><br>But, I will pick.<br><br>Village Of The Sun <br>Echidna's Arf (Of You)  <br>Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?        <br>Pygmy Twylyte<br>Cheepnis<br><br><br><br><br>Anyway, I love them all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:51 am 

Oh, ya!<br><br>The first Zappa album with the stuff he said before a preformance and showed how he interacted with the people watching it.<br><br>Anyway, I think I pick:<br><br>More trouble every day<br>Son of orange county(Didn't knew that Orange county was a city)<br>Be-bop tango<br>Village of the sun<br><br>The rest is also brilliant!<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:05 am 

The whole album is excellent.  I'd have to say that my favorites are:<br><br>Pygmy Twylyte<br>Son of O.C.<br>Echida/Don't You Ever..<br><br>I also liked the "alternative" version of Son of O.C. (called "Oh No") on Unmitigated Audacity (from Beat the Boots Vol. 1).  The guitar solo is different but excellent.  Only problem of course is the sound quality.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:40 pm 

Cheepnis !!<br><br>"Little Miss Muffett on a squat by me, yeah<br> Took a turn around, I said - Can y'all see now?<br> The little strings on the Giant Spider?<br> The Zipper From The Black Lagoon?"<br><br>I thought she just ate her curds & whey....<br><br>Image<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:41 am 

eCHIDNA/bE BOP/eCHIDNA/bE BOP... :-/ :-/<br><br>I will listen the album one more time before taking a decision...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:16 am 

:D The whole freakin album is awesome  :) I really like Jeff Simmons Rythm Playing if i have to pick one it would be "village of the sun"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:48 pm 

One of my all time favorites, probably also for sentimental reasons because the album was my introduction to the world of The Mothers. The "Echidna's Arf/Don't....Thing sequence is simply awesome, with Ruthie-Ruthie standing out from the rest of the best band Frank's ever had.<br><br>Another point: a bunch of the Roxy songs appear on YCDTOSA-2, performed by a very much sized-down band, but all members play on the Roxy album.<br><br>I think that most of the Roxy versions are better than as performed during the Helsinki concert. Except for Pygmy Twylyte (which I believe lasts something like 8 minutes on YCDTOSA-2, mainly because of that awesome FZ solo). Any thoughts on this?    

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:18 pm 

Village of the Sun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:43 am 

Every week I have a different favorite part of this incredible masterpiece. The "village->don't you ever..." sequence is priceless...as is "trouble->orange county". No love for "Dummy Up"? That's a nice groove they got goin there<br><br>"I know what that is!! I bet you that's a restaurant menu"