Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: zot alores?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:29 am 

There are a couple of literature threads around which reminded me of this question.<br><br>Couple of years ago I was reading a book by Somerset Maugham, can't remember which one. At one point one of the characters say -in italic- these French words: <br>zot alores!<br><br>Since I don't know French, the only thing I thought was "hey, this looks like zoot allures" (as if I was looking at a picture. Now I realize how dumb it is). <br><br>I couldn't find it in the dictionaries. Somebody told me that it means something like "to hell with it". <br><br>Can anyone who knows French define "zot alores"? And does anyone know of any relationship between the album title and a French phonetic corruption? (might I just have hit the right button??)

Post subject: Re: zot alores?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:57 pm 

THe only thing I know about a zoot suit is that some guys are wearing regular suits but prefer to roll the jackets around their arms in order to use it as a defensive tool aganist probable knife attacks. Is this true about a zoot suit? <br><br>I just realized the relationship between this French word and the "french phonetic corruption" while writing the post above. Are short cloth neck ornaments included in zoot suits? If it is so, then we might have solved another secret of the universe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:08 pm 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=albums;num=1039631381;start=0#6 date=12/11/02 at 16:10:30]A short, cloth neck ornament is a tie.<br>.[/quote]<br><br>I always thought that it was some kind of bandanna kinda cloth wrapped around the neck. See the FZ photo on the inner sleeve of Hot Rats (I don't know the exact name of it neither in English nor in Turkish).<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:32 pm 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=albums;num=1039631381;start=0#6 date=12/11/02 at 16:10:30]<br><br>The allure of zoot: The attraction of tight clothes. (Note the album cover photo.)<br><br>.[/quote]<br><br>See the photos in the sleeve notes of 'Good Singin' , Good Playin' ' by Grand Funk Railroad for some 'Zappa in tight pants' moments!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:07 am 

right folks,<br>there are quite similar explainations and furthergoing detours in Ben Watsons book.<br>The thing about the tight pants, the allure of zoot, the excremental asossiation in the french spelling - and also ZA is anal, because the alphabethical order is reversed... ;D ??? :-/ ;) Whoooo!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:07 pm 

I always thought "Zoot Allures" basically means "Money Attracts".  Zoot is slang for money.