Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: zappa picks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:22 am 

Zappa picks by Larry LaLonde & Jon Fishman on Ryko.  I wonder what you, zappafriends, think about these releases.  I just bought the 2, and think they're very lissenable, a good choice of Larry & Jon! But aren't they commercial aspects of Ryko? What do you think of the structure, artwork, concept, ... ? (both picked 'Sofa n° 2' as some of their greatest songs!!! I agree!)

Post subject: Re: zappa picks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:33 am 

We've already discussed these in a couple of threads. I'm not going to buy them, because I already have all the albums these songs came from and I'm not an FZ completist. But if they gain FZ some new listeners I think it's OK. <br><br>It's easy to blame Ryko for releasing another compilation instead of a new FZ album, but let's not forget that they don't have the rights to release genuine new material if the ZFT doesn't want them to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:46 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=albums;num=1036614156;start=0#1 date=11/06/02 at 12:33:41]We've already discussed these in a couple of threads. [/quote]<br>me very sorry for bringing back the discussion, i didn't know...<br><br>i agree completely to not blame Ryko<br>I bought them to have another FZcompilation, strictly commercial was my first FZ album & i still give it a 8/10.  When i'm listening FZ in my car, it's always pleasant to have another setlist.  It also interested me Larry Lalonde picks the zappasongs. Primus was my teeny idol!<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:56 am 

Yeah, I'm a big Primus-fan too, especially the first couple of albums with Herb behind the drumkit. Too bad they never recorded a Zappa-cover for those cover EP's.  :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:07 am 

Too bad, although: Primus bought me into the Residents. And i'm thankful for that.  Tommy the cat is my favorite ('Suck On This' version)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:12 am 

Larry LaLonde is pretty much the reason I got into Zappa. I'm a huge Primus fan and Ler's playing was really out there(i was only 14!) and in many interviews he professed an obsession with FZ and his playing so I became interested in Zappa's music....his picks are great. As are Fishman's...one of the best drummers around ;D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:36 pm 

You know, as much as LaLonde loves Zappa, there's very little Frank in his playing.  His never ending streams of avante noise are better likened to say, Robert Fripp.  He does have a more "musical" solo every now and then, like on "Golden Boy", but that's not really characteristic of his style.<br><br>Primus sucks!  8)

Post subject: re: zappa picks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:46 pm