Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:40 am 

I heard that Ryko-disc have lost the rights to Zappa stuff now and that it won't be available from them anymore. Is this true?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:26 am 

[quote author=josh link=board=albums;num=1040150430;start=0#2 date=12/17/02 at 19:33:39]<br>That's right. I'm pretty sure Ryko own every release from Freak Out! - Lather (excluding CP3). [/quote]<br><br>They own all the mastertapes he issued before his dead. So that is everything untill CP3, afterwards (EIHN, FZ plays FZ, FZ : OZ, etc, and all stuff that will be released in the future) I think the rights belong to the ZFT. <br><br>There is only one exception, that is the soundtrack to 200 Motels, those rights remain with MGM, the film compagny. Ryko hired those rights for some time. <br>Reason this is, is that this is the only mastertape Frank didn't get his hands on during his life, and that's why Gail couldn't sell it to Ryko after he died. Of course Frank told her to make that deal, knowing he was dying, so that she would be financially safe for the rest of her life. <br><br>That's love guys...  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:09 am 

[quote author=poncho link=board=albums;num=1040150430;start=0#0 date=12/17/02 at 10:40:30]I heard that Ryko-disc have lost the rights to Zappa stuff now and that it won't be available from them anymore. Is this true?[/quote]<br><br>If the other members say it's not true, I hope they are right.  Because I was in a CD-store (fnac) this afternoon and I noticed that they had quite a lot of Zappa but it was packed in carton, like vinyl.  I think they are Japanese releases and they're a lot more expensive.  I don't get it why these special editions are being sold here, I mean, I think the regular editions are expensive enough.  Maybe, I'm doing a wild guess now, Ryko did loose the rights and tries to sell their stock ASAP?<br><br>Dammit, I wanted to buy "Fillmore East in June,1973" but it was only available in the expensive edition. :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:06 am 

[quote author=Dolphy link=board=albums;num=1040150430;start=0#4 date=12/18/02 at 11:09:18]<br>I think they are Japanese releases and they're a lot more expensive.  I don't get it why these special editions are being sold here, I mean, I think the regular editions are expensive enough.  Maybe, I'm doing a wild guess now, Ryko did loose the rights and tries to sell their stock ASAP?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Nope - these japanese paper-sleeve reissues are just being sold too:<br>1) idiots who think they are only available on this format - ripping them off<br>2) collectors who want everything with the name Zappa on it<br>3) people who think they are buying cd with the original vinyl mix(es). Ripping them off.<br>4) the japanese versions of 1, 2  & 3<br><br>I guess these are reissues made by Ryko, or licenced by Ryko, with "exact" mini-replicas of the vinyl artwork, BUT with the Rykodisc mixes, not with the original vinylmix/tracklisting, should they be different. <br>So e.g. there is no Willie the Pimp pt2 on the japanese Fillmore, allthough the track is noted on the back of it. <br>Ripp-off, imho.<br><br>There's nothing really on them on the ryko-website as I can see.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:11 am 

I'm in the UK and I am having trouble trying to order stuff through my local record shop. Maybe that has something to do with it!<br><br>Also I would like to know what Ship Arriving To Late TO Save A Drowning Witch is like, would you people recomend it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:42 am 

Sent an email to RYKO asking about the FZ catalog... Here's the answer I got...<br><br>))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))<br>>>>>>I Wrote:<br><br>Hi,<br>There is a rumor goin' 'round that the RYKO deal is up on the FZ stuff. Is this true???<br>Does Ryko still have the FZ catalog???<br>Thanks<br>JP<br><br>>>>>>They wrote back:<br>JP,<br>Rykodisc owns the cd release rights to the catalog that they currently have in print-- it won't be expiring any time soon.<br> <br>Thanks,<br>John<br>Rykodisc<br>)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))<br><br>Maybe stores are out of the CDs 'cause people are actually buying the fucking things!! LOL<br>JP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:23 pm 

[quote author=poncho link=board=albums;num=1040150430;start=0#6 date=12/18/02 at 13:11:17]I'm in the UK and I am having trouble trying to order stuff through my local record shop. Maybe that has something to do with it![/quote]<br>Sometimes some cds are temporarely unavailable. that can take a long time. but i guess directly via Barfko Swiffmill or Ryko you can get anything. <br>Since you are from the UK, try G&S Music: great service overthere, and you wont have any trouble with the currency.<br><br>www.gandsmusic.com<br><br>[quote author=poncho link=board=albums;num=1040150430;start=0#6 date=12/18/02 at 13:11:17]Also I would like to know what Ship Arriving To Late TO Save A Drowning Witch is like, would you people recomend it.[/quote]<br><br>imo, that depends on what other albums you don't have. It is a good one, but there are others that are more essential imo. <br>If you are going for a full zappa catalogue in the end: buy the thing! <br>If not, check maybe if you have all the albums listed by all the people in this thread:<br><br>http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=albums;action=display;num=1038286394<br><br>or other threads listing favorite albums, and buy them first...<br><br>some much to explore.... explore..... explo....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:55 pm 

Just another question: who has the rights of the beat the boots-series?  Does that exist, where ordering those albums?...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:25 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1040150430;start=0#11 date=12/20/02 at 16:28:40]<br>That leads into my follow-up question:<br>Will Hostess sue Santa Claus for his use of the term "Ho Ho?"[/quote]<br>You're absolutely right, but why don't I understand you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:27 am 

[quote author=Man from Utopia link=board=albums;num=1040150430;start=0#12 date=12/21/02 at 07:25:49]Those little cards you get inside the cd's, to send to Ryko to get an FZ catalog. I sent 2 of them in and a week later they were returned, saying the address no longer existed, or something. Ticked me off, I really wanted it, and I wasted 2 stamps to find out nothing.[/quote]<br>You remembered me of something, I sent 1 such card and never get anything back.  But I got luck seeing that in my ex. of Son Of Cheep Thrills, a Zappa-Ryko catalogue was hidden!  Don't know if this is the one from the card...?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:26 am 

[quote author=Man from Utopia link=board=albums;num=1040150430;start=15#15 date=12/29/02 at 07:00:30]One, or both of, the Cheap/Cheep Thrills cd's is enhanced, meaning you can put in your comp cd player, and it will bring some stuff up. In this case, it brings up the FZ discography. [/quote]<br><br>Yep, saw that too, but that wasn't what I meant.  There was a very little booklet (+/- 16 pages) inside with the whole ryko-Zappa-catalogue.  Lucky me!<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:41 am 

My agent at Warners who distribute Ryko Zappa titles in the UK emailed me a few days ago to say the catalogue was being pulled.
He knew I brought a lot of the Mini Replica Japanese OBI titles with the VACK cat nos from them.
I tried ordering more stock from them immediately but the full catalogue came up as deleted.
I'd love to have completed some titles for my collection and also hear a few albums I've missed along the way.
So from my experience I can confirm what others have seen.
I wonder who will distribute the titles now.
Real shame the catalogue was pulled with no notice at this time of year.
Maybe it was a continuation of the various legal things on going on between ZFT & Ryko.
These titles are going to be real collectable now and prices will rise.
I'm an on/off Zappa fan as I need to be in the mood to take a good listen rather than be obssesive and listen to nothing else :)
I sell the above mentioned CD's on eBay under the ID theturkeyzone (slight and only plug - sorry).
Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:53 am 

Could mean War, could mean they will appear as d/l only, could mean a re-launch in partnership with the ZFT.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:05 am 

Could mean that there is no market for Zappa product anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 am 

Could mean I thought that too but decided not to include it.

Anyway, the Idiot reports the buzz is Ryko lost the rights to Zappa.
Did the ZFT buy it back?

http://www.idiotbastard.com/news.htm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:29 am 

It's more than likely a load of bollocks again lost 2002 2004 2008 2011 8) that's the times i can remember Ryko lost,which turned out too be not true then just after.
Just a load of bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:58 am 

I wonder if this means the ZFT will try to license the catalog to another label. As great as their recent releases have been, I'm not sure if they have the resources to pull off a huge reissue campaign of 50+ albums on their own, especially in such a dismal CD market.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:58 am 

yea, they were on demand cd-r product for awhile. Could be a bunch uh nonsense, clear the shelves, be back sooner or later. Between the economy that ain't ever coming back, illegal and legal d/ling, cd's have become ever more worthless for most folks.