Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:12 am 

brainpang wrote:
yea, they were on demand cd-r product for awhile. Could be a bunch uh nonsense, clear the shelves, be back sooner or later. Between the economy that ain't ever coming back, illegal and legal d/ling, cd's have become ever more worthless for most folks.

So what does all that mean you don't buy Zappa Cd's.
I got a good idea they has been Ryko USA Zappa records UK,then Ryko all the way,now why not have Zappa records all the way :D

Last edited by cleon on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:13 am 

brainpang wrote:
Between the economy that ain't ever coming back, illegal and legal d/ling, cd's have become ever more worthless for most folks.

Shhh. Don't tell cleon.

edit---to late.

"Ya like horses?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:00 pm 

That's alright, I like cd's...cause I remove 'em from the horrible plastic cases and keep 'em in vinyl sleeves. They're like trading cards to me, shuffle and deal. I also like boom boxes.

But check out ebay and Amazon sellers. CDs have tanked!
Will they be back? Maybe. Will have to wait and see if the Japanese start buying them up in 6 years.

Cds still fetching prices: oop jazz (old fogies!), black metal (the art/packaging), and ???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:07 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Maybe. Will have to wait and see if the Japanese start buying them up in 6 years
What got a crystal ball or you know or just talking shit :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:37 pm 

cleon wrote:
brainpang wrote:
Maybe. Will have to wait and see if the Japanese start buying them up in 6 years

In context that pumpkin smiley is oddly racist.

What kind of beer do you drink?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:45 pm 

brainpang wrote:
cleon wrote:
brainpang wrote:

In context that pumpkin smiley is oddly racist.

What kind of beer do you drink?

So your talking shit :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:36 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Could mean I thought that too but decided not to include it.

Anyway, the Idiot reports the buzz is Ryko lost the rights to Zappa.
Did the ZFT buy it back?

http://www.idiotbastard.com/news.htm

If this is what has been holding back more releases like 40th MOFO/Lumpy Money/Greasy Love Songs, then I welcome this news wholeheartedly.

Bring on the 4teths of UM, HR, BWS, WRMF, CR, FE, 200 Motels and as of 2012, JABFLA (though Carnagie could almost be considered part of this), WJ and GW.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:49 pm 

Where does the ownership of Ryko by Warners factor in? I remember Gail saying in an interview somewhere years ago that there might some productive interaction, but I've not heard anything since.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:45 pm 

I'm always skeptical of "Someone has told me" kind of news on the internet. It could be that they've lost the rights, but I'm not sure that pulling the catalog automatically equals that. I'd like to hear it from a more official source first.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:28 pm 

poncho wrote:
I heard that Ryko-disc have lost the rights to Zappa stuff now and that it won't be available from them anymore. Is this true?

calvin2hikers wrote:
I'm always skeptical of "Someone has told me" kind of news on the internet. It could be that they've lost the rights, but I'm not sure that pulling the catalog automatically equals that. I'd like to hear it from a more official source first.

First post '02,the second today 12/30/11
cleon wrote:
It's more than likely a load of bollocks again lost 2002 2004 2008 2011 8) that's the times i can remember Ryko lost,which turned out too be not true then just after.
Just a load of bullshit.

Whoa! cleon's got it right,this is just going over & over.What is the legal standing in this case 8 years later? Both for the ZFT and what,if anything,can the ZFT lawyers do to secure releases in the future for the ZFT from Ryko? I don't know and I really don't want to ask Gail since it's old biz,but...does anyone know how it stands today? If Ryko had the rights they would go to i-tunes and they would have a never ending source of money,small to them maybe...but ...that should go to the ZFT and is held up why?....does that sound right? So there ain't shit for Zappa on i freakin' tunes.Whats up? ...slime.o? Anyone.o. know for sure and didn't just "here it from a friend".o.? :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:37 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

cleon [edits by slime.o] wrote:
It's more than likely a load of bollocks again ... 2002/2004/2008/2011 ... that's the times i can remember [hearing or reading about how] Ryko lost [the catalog or some legal battle], which [always] turned out to be not true ...

... cleon's got it right ...
agree, if my interpretation of cleon's post is correct

[cynical speculation]

could be anything;
  • recent bad batch of discs
  • recent bad batch green tint cd cases
  • non-recycled paper used for liner notes
  • trademark notifications missing on the liner notes
  • another legal challenge/tempoarary restaining order
  • new loophole discovered in the original contract by their lawyers who were running outta retainer & needed to bill more hours
  • the uk agent & his buddy are doing a bit of rumor-mongering trying shill up some of his back stock
  • etc etc.etc.

[/cynical speculation]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:44 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

cleon [edits by slime.o] wrote:
It's more than likely a load of bollocks again ... 2002/2004/2008/2011 ... that's the times i can remember [hearing or reading about how] Ryko lost [the catalog or some legal battle], which [always] turned out to be not true ...

... cleon's got it right ...
agree, if my interpretation of cleon's post is correct

[cynical speculation]

could be anything;
  • recent bad batch of discs
  • recent bad batch green tint cd cases
  • non-recycled paper used for liner notes
  • trademark notifications missing on the liner notes
  • another legal challenge/tempoarary restaining order
  • new loophole discovered in the original contract by their lawyers who were running outta retainer & needed to bill more hours
  • the uk agent & his buddy are doing a bit of rumor-mongering trying shill up some of his back stock
  • etc etc.etc.

[/cynical speculation]

I'll take the retainer & more hours ( cynicaly speculating) that is.
Even cleon finds an acorn once in awhile. :shock:
So..... there is no definitive answer between Ryko and the ZFT about FZ's Ryko material being released products for us yet? Is that whats the deal were dealing in? :roll: :? Is it basically the same as we discussed before,slime.o.? I liked your line that the ZFT lawyers couldn't deal with a C & D order,when they lost that last decision! Ahahaha! Wasn't that earlier this year or was it last year? It don't seem that long ago.
Did you get a tan on the Islands?
Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:31 pm 

Something must have happened, it's not just a storm in a tea cup. The fact remains that in one of the biggest outlets here in Adelaide there used to be tons of Zappa CDs but not any more, for along time now, something changed and around the same time it was happening in a lot of other places too. We all know how long legal processes take. Gail may not be saying anything simply because she's legally not allowed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:40 pm 

polydigm wrote:
it's not just a storm in a tea cup.
No it's a hurricane in a cup of fantasise island :mrgreen:
http://zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18120
2009 version.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:38 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Something must have happened, it's not just a storm in a tea cup. The fact remains that in one of the biggest outlets here in Adelaide there used to be tons of Zappa CDs but not any more, for along time now, something changed and around the same time it was happening in a lot of other places too. We all know how long legal processes take. Gail may not be saying anything simply because she's legally not allowed.

That sounds logical and it seems to fit a pattern.
afjudge wrote:
My agent at Warners who distribute Ryko Zappa titles in the UK emailed me a few days ago to say the catalogue was being pulled.
He knew I brought a lot of the Mini Replica Japanese OBI titles with the VACK cat nos from them.
I tried ordering more stock from them immediately but the full catalogue came up as deleted.
I'd love to have completed some titles for my collection and also hear a few albums I've missed along the way.
So from my experience I can confirm what others have seen.
I wonder who will distribute the titles now.
Real shame the catalogue was pulled with no notice at this time of year.
Maybe it was a continuation of the various legal things on going on between ZFT & Ryko.
These titles are going to be real collectable now and prices will rise.
I'm an on/off Zappa fan as I need to be in the mood to take a good listen rather than be obssesive and listen to nothing else :)
I sell the above mentioned CD's on eBay under the ID theturkeyzone (slight and only plug - sorry).
Tony.

Although,Tony might have some alterior motive that I've highlighted,the rest seems to following the same pattern as Poly's post suggested.Hmm.After the first of the year laws change and maybe this will have an effect on FZ releases whether from Ryko or the ZFT.So it's a wait and see game for us? Hopefully tomorrow/next year we'll all know. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:38 am 

No alterior motive from me.
I wanted to let people know what I had found out and my experience was.
Although I slipped in a plug, I was not wishing to push stocks, I have a good customer base and the stocks of Zappa Mini's I have will go in good time.
But thought worth mentioning if anyone was interested.
I certainly am not looking to make a killing clearing stock or inflating the price when stock gets scarce as I am sure other sellers may try too.
Regards Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:47 pm 

afjudge wrote:
No alterior motive from me.
I wanted to let people know what I had found out and my experience was.
Although I slipped in a plug, I was not wishing to push stocks, I have a good customer base and the stocks of Zappa Mini's I have will go in good time.
But thought worth mentioning if anyone was interested.
I certainly am not looking to make a killing clearing stock or inflating the price when stock gets scarce as I am sure other sellers may try too.
Regards Tony.

I ment no harm Mr.T. I was just 'pondering the reasoning of the Ryko suits,the ZFT lawyers and the small guys like us.....On NYE at 4-5 am. :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:54 am 

No harm taken Kapt.
Does anyone know if the Zappa catalogue has been taken up by anyone else other than Ryko?
Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:32 am 

http://www.scribd.com/doc/70783812/Zapp ... er-8-17-11

and related thread -

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22429

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:46 pm 

Bill wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/70783812/Zappa-v-Rykodisc-Order-8-17-11

and related thread -

Thanks for the links Bill. 8)
The way it looks and sounds in a nutshell is IMO,...GZ thought she was right.But unfortunitly "technical standards" and "integrity" are not legal terms.That coupled with both JT and Frank Filipetti,in they're depositions,sound like they agree with Ryko expert Dr.Lawrence Ferra on the basics.Any judge goes with the experts in a case like this. They're job is to see if a jury will buy it either way.Is it worth taking to trail? Was there a violation of the `94 agreement,by either party,blah,blah,? Only by word nothing signed,no documentation,signed by both parties,anywhere.It was a done deal before it started. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:43 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Bill wrote:

and related thread -

The way it looks and sounds in a nutshell is IMO,...GZ thought she was right.But unfortunitly "technical standards" and "integrity" are not legal terms.That coupled with both JT and Frank Filipetti,in they're depositions,sound like they agree with Ryko expert Dr.Lawrence Ferra on the basics.Any judge goes with the experts in a case like this. They're job is to see if a jury will buy it either way.Is it worth taking to trail? Was there a violation of the `94 agreement,by either party,blah,blah,? Only by word nothing signed,no documentation,signed by both parties,anywhere.It was a done deal before it started. :roll:

Damn you and your legalese!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:26 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Bill wrote:

and related thread -

Damn you and your legalese!

I know just enough lawers to sound dumb as them and blah,blah.I'd like to thank the ZFT lawers,and Judge Judy for all my damn legalese! I think Gail needs better legalese advisors.IMHO :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:20 am 

Think about the title of the thread sounds like just Ryko lost :!: looking and searching Ryko on Barfo swill
"CD. Originally released October 1993 (original edition, pre-Ryko). Produced by Frank Zappa. LIMITED QUANTITY. WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE AGAIN ONCE SOLD OUT! " :? :?
They saying no FZ with or without Ryko.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:41 am 

cleon wrote:
brainpang wrote:
yea, they were on demand cd-r product for awhile. Could be a bunch uh nonsense, clear the shelves, be back sooner or later. Between the economy that ain't ever coming back, illegal and legal d/ling, cd's have become ever more worthless for most folks.

So what does all that mean you don't buy Zappa Cd's.
I got a good idea they has been Ryko USA Zappa records UK,then Ryko all the way,now why not have Zappa records all the way :D

Fuck i predicted correct unless They come out tomorrow on Hip-o records Uk Tomorrow :? :D