Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:34 am 

It's Jimmy Carl Black.  I recall him saying in an interview once that he's been told he sounds like Beefheart, which he took as a great compliment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:12 pm 

I always imagined Motorhead saying STUFF IT.....it may just be me though.  I alwasy figured that it was Jimmy Carl Black singing those raspy lines on Absolutely Free, but he does sound like Vliet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:25 pm 

A few years ago, I attented a concert in Paris whose theme was "American Composers of the Twentieth Century." The last piece was "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"! -- that's why I went to this concert  ;)<br>It was sung by an American opera singer, with piano accompaniment. It was very funny!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:45 am 

What is brown shoes about? I have a few ideas but i keep getting disturbed by the "Smother my daughter in chocolate syrup" line. smae as the<br><br>"To his house in Montreal <br>He caught his daughter <br>In the blouse by the night <br>And he said to himself: <br>"She looks alright!" <br>he reached for a tit <br>And grabbed it tight " in Magdalena.<br><br>Whats was Zappas thing with Daughter Father sexual relationships. I want friends to dig Zappa as much as i do, bu ti'm affaid to play them two of my favorite songs, cos i know they'll just call him a dirty perverted bastard who sings about fathers shagging their daughters.<br>

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:53 pm 

Strange you mention this, because i saw Jimmie Carl Black playing with the Zappa tribute band the muffin men recently. They played a couple of songs without him and then invited him onstage. He came on and sang 'Plastic City' off the first Beefheart album and I remember being shocked by how exactly he sounded like Beefheart. It was uncanny.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:26 am 

[quote author=francie_brady link=board=albums;num=1057308615;start=0#6 date=09/05/03 at 09:45:46]What is brown shoes about? I have a few ideas but i keep getting disturbed by the "Smother my daughter in chocolate syrup" line. smae as the<br><br>"To his house in Montreal <br>He caught his daughter <br>In the blouse by the night <br>And he said to himself: <br>"She looks alright!" <br>he reached for a tit <br>And grabbed it tight " in Magdalena.<br><br>Whats was Zappas thing with Daughter Father sexual relationships. I want friends to dig Zappa as much as i do, bu ti'm affaid to play them two of my favorite songs, cos i know they'll just call him a dirty perverted bastard who sings about fathers shagging their daughters.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thought about these exact two references myself.<br>With Brown Shoes I don't think I can say what Frank was thinking of but it is worth bearing in mind that Moon was'nt born then.<br><br>I have always thought that the lyrics to Magdalena were about a real story that happened and was in the news at the time. I don't have any proof to back this up.<br>I keep meaning to go searching for news stories from Canada involving Maple Syrup manufacturers and their daughters but I never seem to get the time (sigh) :-[<br>Anyone else know the story  of Magdalena??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:35 pm 

from what i understand, magdeleena is co-written by one mark volman? i could be off on that, but i read it wasn't based on a true story or anything like that. <br><br>and brown shoes don't make it is just about the twisted thoughts the men who run the country have. not just their daughters, but about everything.<br><br>both are absolutely amazing songs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:44 pm 

[quote author=setfiretothecouch link=board=albums;num=1057308615;start=0#9 date=11/26/03 at 20:35:25]from what i understand, magdeleena is co-written by one mark volman? i could be off on that, but i read it wasn't based on a true story or anything like that. <br><br>and brown shoes don't make it is just about the twisted thoughts the men who run the country have. not just their daughters, but about everything.<br><br>both are absolutely amazing songs.[/quote]<br><br>Yeah it was written with Mark.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:53 am 

[quote author=setfiretothecouch link=board=albums;num=1057308615;start=0#9 date=11/26/03 at 20:35:25]and brown shoes don't make it is just about the twisted thoughts the men who run the country have. not just their daughters, but about everything.<br>[/quote]<br>I agree. They are comments on the fact that some of the most conservative and upright citizens are capable of some very perverted thoughts and actions, and therefore have no right to claim the moral high ground in issues such as offensive song lyrics. And these are some of the people making the laws the rest of us are required to obey. I believe a lot of Frank's humourous comments in songs are not actually his views but comments on the thoughts of other kinds of people.<br><br>I think this is also why Frank took such delight in lampooning TV evangelists such as Swaggert and Baker. They were just so hypocritical.