Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: florentine pogen.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:15 pm 

this song took a while to grow on me, but it's became one of my favorites recently.<br><br>the "chester's gorilla" part haunts me and gives me chills. the first verse or two make me sing all the time. even when i'm not listening to it. wonderful, i say, wonderful.

Post subject: Re: florentine pogen.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:30 pm 

[quote author=setfiretothecouch link=board=albums;num=1068873306;start=0#0 date=11/14/03 at 21:15:06] wonderful, i say, wonderful.[/quote]<br><br>yes indeed!!<br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:52 pm 

I love this track.  The way it starts out with a nasty, snarling riff and smoothly disolves into tinkling bells. Only Zappa... only Zappa.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:50 am 

[move]READ EM' AND WEEP!!!  :o :D[/move]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:43 pm 

I noticed on two bootlegs from the 1974 tour that FZ introduces this tune as 'Chester's Gorilla.'<br>Does this mean that the title changed or that FZ didn't really care about the title itself? Oh well, I was just wondering Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:28 am 

This song is an excellent example of Zappa's talents as a vocal arranger...I think that is often overlooked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:56 pm 

It's kinda funny to watch the KCET video and actually see Chester's gorilla... ;D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:28 pm 

It's a shame he left out the guitar solo on the album 'One Size Fits All'.  Seeing the KCET version with the solo is just jaw-dropping :)  Since the KCET version is ecentualy the same thing we hear on the album why was the solo left out at the end?  He must have been unhappy with the way it came out or we would have the complete song on the record.  Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:42 pm 

[quote author=Billy link=board=albums;num=1068873306;start=0#7 date=11/18/03 at 18:56:44]It's kinda funny to watch the KCET video and actually see Chester's gorilla... ;D[/quote]<br><br>the KCET video?  :-/ can someone help me out here?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:54 am 

Named after some Swedish biscuits (sorry....cookies)??<br><br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/misc/pogen.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:40 am 

The KCET show was filmed over two days, live for an LA studio, in '76.  It appears as 'A Token of His Extreme' and bits can be found in the 'Dub Room Special'.  This version of the song is what you hear on One Size Fits All...minus the 4:39 of the song.  Zappa solos through the first 2 min and the last 2min 39sec is the band jammin through the rest of the song.  For those that have heard the version on the record and want to hear how the song really ended...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:40 am 

Pardon my ignorance, but what's KCET and is the video available?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:11 am 

Quote:
First of all, a "Florentine Pogen" is a cake. Pagens, a Swedish bakery, had a branch in California named Pogen. Now, as to what the opening lines ("She was the daughter of a wealthy/Florentine Pogen") to Frank Zappa's song mean is anybody's guess, but looking at the next few lines it becomes clear that the character is a young, spoiled, rich, and a little airhead girl ("a debutante daisy/With a color-note organ"). In general, the lyrics don't make sense, like much of "Inca Roads," this song's cousin. Both appeared on the 1975 LP One Size Fits All, opening side A and B, respectively. Both are complex pieces (although "Florentine Pogen" follows a more conservative 4/4 frame) coupling crazy chops with zany humor and inside jokes. "Chester [Thompson, Zappa's drummer]'s thing," the "booger-bear" of "Inca Roads," comes back here as "Chester's go-rilla." It seems both quotes refer to a groupie of imposing proportions. In the liner notes of the album, Thompson is credited as the "gorilla victim." <br>The song features Napoleon Murphy Brock's vocals. It was probably written during the 1973-1974 tour, as it was not part of the live set in December 1973. In its first appearances in early 1974 it segued directly into "Kung Fu," both songs presumably thought to be one at that time, but later in the tour the ending was detached and "Florentine Pogen" acquired its "Chester's gorilla" finale. It kind of vanished once it was recorded for One Size Fits All, resurfacing in the late '70s and again for the 1988 tour where it was given an extended finale to make room for a guitar solo and a segue into "Andy." If you are looking for a party game, try to spot the short "Louie Louie" quote. — François Couture<br>
<br><br> ;D<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>