Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:25 am 

i recently bought "'tis is the season to be jelly" on vinyl, and I have trouble finding out wheter it is the original bootleg, or the beat the boots version. All my other beat the boots are on cd, so I really can't compare, and there is no good real information on the vinyl version of the beat the boot issue by which I can tell for sure.<br><br>It's on Bizarre records (at least it claims to be, but have boots that claim to be Ryko too, so...), so therefor I thought "hmm, must be an official BTB version", but then I found somewhere that the original boot has 'FVZ-967' scratched in the vinyl, and printed on the centre label - as in my copy.  So I am in doubt here. <br><br>There are no dates concerning the release anywhere.<br>In what year was the original boot released? I don't find real answers on the net either.<br><br>I paid ¤ 19 (same as in dollars), do you think that is to much or? I don't know shit 'bout prices.<br><br>In the same shop I also bought 'Metal Man has hornet's wings' with Beefheart. I found plenty of info on that one on the net. I paid ¤ 15. Is that reasonable or was I ripped off? (Anyhow, it has a great version of Neon Meat Dream of an Octafish, always one of my Beefheart favorites, but I have to admit, I don't know that much Beefheart either.)<br><br>I'd be gratefull untill eternity ends if someone could help me out on all the Q's.  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:15 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=albums;num=1041877523;start=0#1 date=01/06/03 at 10:50:03]<br>'Tis the Season to Be Jelly (LP/CD)<br>Thigh (2 LP)<br>Petrouska (LP/CD)<br>King Kong Ripped My Flesh (LP)<br>Child's Play (LP)<br>Concerthouse67 / Royal Festival Hall68 (Oldies But Goldies / Live - Over 20 Years Old) (LP/CD)<br>Konserthuset, Stockholm, 30-Sep-1967 (date has been debated) <br>CD bonus tracks from various sources <br>Re-issued as Child's Play (Pyramid Records RFT LP 013), on vinyl, in 1988, with a different track order and a bonus track <br>Re-issued as King Kong Ripped My Flesh on Barner Wros <br>Re-issued with Drowning Witch (Toxic Shock Part 1) as Thigh (2 LP) on Shogun Records <br>Re-issued on CD by Living Legend Records with plentiful bonus tracks (later as a "promo" (?) and on Exile Records) <br>Re-issued on LP and CD as Concerthouse67 / Royal Festival Hall68 (Oldies But Goldies / Live - Over 20 Years Old) by Koinè Records <br>Concert also issued as Petrouska (with material from the Long Beach Arena, 31-Dec-1974) as ZX 3658 <br>Side one also issued on The Real Thing with most of Swiss Cheese <br>Legally re-issued as part of the Beat the Boots set <br>Length: ~45 min<br>Sound quality: FM B<br>Label: "Bizarre" FVZ 967 (LP)<br>Original bootlegger: "Richard"<br><br>Musicians: Frank Zappa, Jimmy Carl Black, Ian Underwood, Bunk Gardner, Don Preston, Jim Sherwood, Roy Estrada, Ray Collins and Billy Mundi<br><br>This show was supposed to be televised or broadcast on radio, so Zappa tried to play even though he was very ill. He soon left the stage, however, and the band carried on without him. It's a unique performance you don't have to like. (The boot is taken from a 1977 Swedish broadcast in the series "Rock från underjorden" (Rock from the Underground)).<br><br>'Tis the Season to be Jelly Vinyl<br>The original vinyl track list: <br><br>1. You Didn't Try to Call Me<br>2. Petroushka [Stravinsky] <br>3. Bristol Stomp [Appel/Mann]<br>4. Baby Love [The Supremes]<br>5. ? [...?]<br>6. Big Leg Emma<br>7. No Matter What You Do (Tchaikovsky's 6th)<br>8. Blue Suede Shoes [Perkins]<br>9. Hound Dog [Leiber/Stoller]<br>10. Gee [William Davis / Viola Watkins]<br><br>11. King Kong<br>12. It Can't Happen Here<br><br>Track listings may vary slightly between re-issues. Track 2 was removed from the European Beat the Boots issue (the spoken intro was removed as well, and the printed title obscured), but included and listed on the American version (probably for reasons of differing copyright regulations). Track 10 is an old Crows number from 1953. Track 7 is also known as "I Don't Care How You Treat Me", and is probably written by Zappa (one musician plays Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony in the background). Apparently, Zappa gave the intro to the Animals when he produced their Animalism album.<br><br>The colour cover shows a caricature of Zappa with a huge right foot, spraying a sweaty sock with deodorant, thinking "Warum tut es weh, wenn ich pinkle?" (German for "Why does it hurt when I pee?") - drawn by the French comic artist Jean Solé for a comic version of "Stink-Foot" he made in a French mag called Fluide Glacial (of comic artists interpreting rock songs).<br><br>Back cover has a short story called 'Tis the Season to be Jelly (by science fiction writer Richard Matheson), beginning "Pa's nose fell off at breakfast, it fell right into Ma's coffee and displaced it" (a line which later became the title of another bootleg). (The artwork for some re-issues is completely unkown.) Some LP labels have the incorrect title "TIS THE SEASON TO JELLY". (For our international viewers, the title "'Tis the Season to be Jelly" is a play on the (christmas?) slogan "'tis the season to be jolly".)<br>[/quote]<br>Thanks jimmy, but I found all this info you cut & pasted myself before I posted my question. But still, I can not make of it what issue I got.<br><br>the track-listing on the back:<br>1. you didn't try to call me<br>2. petroushka (without the addition of its composer)<br>3. bristol stomp<br>4. baby love<br>5. big leg emma<br>6. no matter what you do <br>interpolating Tchaikovsky's sixth symphony<br>7. blue suede shoes<br>8. hound dog<br>9. gee<br>----<br>1. king kong<br>2. it can't happen here<br><br>it has at least some sort of spoken intro, it doesn't have the fifth track. it's printed in the usa, on bizarre records.<br><br>So, I guess I do not have the original boot, no prob, but is it a BTB-vinyl-version or not? I can't find any sufficient info on that. If someone that has the BTB-version could please describe the damn thing...<br><br>And WHEN was the original bootleg issued?<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:19 am 

[quote author=Billy_the_Wimp link=board=albums;num=1041877523;start=0#4 date=01/07/03 at 03:30:02]'tis the season to be JELLY - from the Beat the Boot's series<br>has a label with the cat.nr R1-70542. One side is white <br>with the BTB hammer. The other side is black with the foo-eee Rhino and the title.<br><br>From the info I have, it sounds like you have the original bootleg version.<br><br>I hope this helps you.<br>[/quote]<br>Yes indeed it does: mine has blue labels with the bizarre logo (it looks like the one on the Fillmore East original US vinyl, but not exactly the same given the lay-out of the label: the location of the word 'bizarre' is the same, but the 'device' is situated otherwise on the label, etc.). So i guess it is definitely not the BTB-version.<br><br>thank you!<br><br>a date? anyone?