Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vinyl Copies
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:36 am 

Hey all! I'm a relatively new Zappa fan. I bought 1969's "Hot Rats" and became hooked on Zappa's music. It's interesting, because I picked two to choose between at a used CD place: "Hot Rats" and "Weasels Ripped My Flesh". I held them up to my good friend and had him choose which one for me, I was torn. He picked Hot Rats because he liked the cover picture more. I'm glad he did, because I fell in love with Peaches en Regalia immediately, and the rest is history. <br><br>I now own "Hot Rats", "Waka/Jawaka", "The Grand Wazoo" (just bought today), "Uncle Meat", and "Mystery Disc". I've downloaded "Freak Out!", "Chunga's Revenge", "The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life", and "Zoot Allures". I'm planning on buying all the Zappa CD's, I've bought all of Aerosmith's CD's, and I need to collect another good series of music.<br><br>There is a point to my rambling, though. I've been reading about the re-mixing of the original music for CD by Frank, and I am interested in hearing the original mixes of "Hot Rats", "Waka/Jawaka", and "The Grand Wazoo". Those are my 3 favorite albums. I am also interested in "Freak Out!". I've heard of people who have CD-R's of these, does anybody know who distributes them? I can't find the LP's anywhere, nobody sells records anymore.<br><br>Also, in regards to Willie the Pimp on "Hot Rats", does anybody know the details about the behind-the-scenes on the Capt. Beefheart vocals? I've heard that there was a lot of flubbing on his part, and that Zappa gave him a hard time about it, or something to that effect. Does anybody know of a bootleg or transcript or something to that effect on that subject?<br><br>Thanks for reading, I appreciate any help!<br><br>John

Post subject: Re: Vinyl Copies
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:43 am 

If you want the original vinyl sounds you've got to play it on your turntable!You don't get the proper old hiss & crackles from the needle on a CD-R.  Keep browsing ebay and you'll be surprised what you can find on record.Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:28 pm 

You can sometimes find the old Zappa vinyls in flea markets,second hand stores, and pawn shops...<br><br>Or, you can click here Forever Vinyl <br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:51 am 

Or, you can even try this:<br><br>http://storesense01.dynamic.net/zappa/Search.bok?category=Vintage+Vaultage+Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:50 pm 

[quote author=elgre link=board=albums;num=1054676168;start=0#3 date=06/04/03 at 09:51:20]Or, you can even try this:<br>http://storesense01.dynamic.net/zappa/Search.bok?category=Vintage+Vaultage+Vinyl[/quote]<br>[center]i wonder if these are copies of the original vinyls?[/center]<br>[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:51 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=albums;num=1054676168;start=0#4 date=06/04/03 at 22:50:30]<br><br>i wonder if these are copies of the original vinyls?<br><br>[/quote]<br>I think me and Arkay are the only ones who still listen to cassettes...<br><br>I have Tons of homemade cassettes,many different mixtures of Zappa songs. I listen to them in my car.<br><br>for example, the one in my player now , <br>side A: Big Swifty, Waka/Jawaka<br><br>Side B: RDNZL,Basement Music#1,Inca Roads,Regyptian Strut,Wedding Dress Song, Handsome Cabin Boy, Cops & Buns, The Chrome Plated Megaphone of Destiny<br><br>And another one I just listened to A: Down in de Dew, For The Young Sophisticate, Filthy Habits, The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution, Leather Goods, Spider of Destiny<br><br>B: Lather, Flambe, The Purple Lagoon.<br><br>Making Zappa tapes has been a hobby of mine for about 30 years, I have Bazillions of them.<br><br>I have first song tapes ( the first song on the records) I have last song tapes, alphabetical order tapes, chronological order tapes, Funny songs tapes, rock songs tapes, songs with numbers in the songs tapes, naughty songs tapes, pretty songs,ugly songs, weird songs, same songs different versions tapes. Just whatever I can think of. I keep searching for the perfect formula.. <br><br>Ok,so maybe it's more like an obsession.....  ':-['

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:09 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=albums;num=1054676168;start=0#5 date=06/07/03 at 17:44:12][tt] I just came back from a used cd/cassette/vinyl store in Downtown Vancouver and hooooooooooly shitttttttttt, guess what I found? Zappa on vinyl! When I asked the owner if he had any Frank Zappa in stock, he said that he did in the back and that a man from Vancouver Island had just brought in several copies on vinyl (original editions) in good condition! He also said that this man was going to bring in the entire Zappa catalogue on vinyl (original editions) soon!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o  So, as I was creaming my jeans (naturally of course, in a situation like this), I checked out what was in stock:<br><br>Fillmore East - June '71<br>One Size Fits All<br>Apostrophe(')<br>Joe's Garage Acts 1<br>Joe's Garage Acts 2 & 3<br>SATLTSADW<br>The Man From Utopia<br>Jazz From Hell<br>Sheik Yerbouti<br>Just Another Band From LA<br><br>I picked up The Man From Utopia because of the apparent difference in mix and for the fact that I didn't have that much money to spend. <br><br>Gezzzzzus fuck, the mix totally different! :o Any fan who loves this record who hasn't heard this album - get it now! You simply won't believe the differences! Not only are the songs more up tempo but Moggio has more of Vai's guitar in the arrangement! Tink Walks Amok has more bass in within the verses, etc. I can't believe this. :D I'll be going back to this store for more shortly...<br><br>Excuse me while I cream my jeans some more... ;D[/tt]<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>PS....What a great find, baby   ';D'<br><br>-I was in a Second hand store a few months back,and they had a some old vinyls. I remember seeing Broadway The Hard Way,Sheik Yerbouti,Tinsel Town Rebellion.<br><br>-The man asked me if there was any I was looking for, so I told him to find me the 'Rat Trap Cover'. And the Beatles, Butcher Cover.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:16 am 

For anyone visiting Antwerp in Belgium. There's a second hand shop aptly called 'The Record Collector' which carries like 50 to 100 zappa vinyl, all periods, all kind of editions, and occasionally some bootlegs at reasonable prices... It's worth the trip.<br><br>It's located in the Lange Koepoortstraat and it's closed on Monday.<br><br>For the Dutch :about three quarters of an hour drive from Breda or Eindhoven.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:06 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=albums;num=1054676168;start=0#9 date=06/08/03 at 04:44:34]oh and for the Dutchies who have never been to Antwerp, when I drive it only takes me bout half an hour or less from Eindhoven or Breda  ::)  Is it me or is the car ? ;D[/quote]<br><br>it must be your car.  ;)<br><br>oh - don't expect zappa first 4 albums in that shop. they have some of that occasionnally (bought original US copies from Freak out & Lumpy Gravy for about ¤ 30) but you'd have to be lucky...  starting from let's say Uncle Meat they more or less have everything.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:28 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=albums;num=1054676168;start=0#11 date=06/13/03 at 19:06:52][tt] Ok, I just picked up the original vinyl edition of Sheik Yerbouti from the same used shop where I bought The Man From Utopia last week. Wow! :o The drums sound so much fuller and don't like sound like flat mud like on the Ryko '95 cd edition. And get this...on the flip side of side 1 is side 4. Wtf? [/tt][/quote]<br>The 1/4, 2/3 configuration was common for double albums. It saves you the step of flipping over the album by dropping side 2 onto the turntable after side 1 is finished; that is, if you have the type of turntable that allows you to stack the albums above it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:33 am 

I love searching for old Zappa vinyls. I recently purchased a very good copy of You Are What You Is for only $2. My friend was a bit baffled at why I was so ecstatic. If only he knew. <br><br>I've been able to find in relatively good condition:<br><br>Freak Out, Absolutely Free, Ruben and the Jets, Uncle Meat (my pursonal favorite), Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Hot Rats, Fillmore East 1971, and Overnight Sensation. PLus I found this Zappa complilation of his Straight/Bizarre label called "Zappéd" It has Holiday in Berlin, Full Blown, some Beefheart, and an Alice Cooper song I think, among others.

Post subject: re: vinyl copies
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:49 pm 

tonite i stopped into amoeba music, haight street in san francisco;  phenominal selection of new & used fz, both cd & vinyl, many with multiple copies<br><br>i got a few cd's waka, 200 motels & shut up box (used) , plus y.a.w.y.i, chunga & cheap thrills (new)....anyway, here's what they had in the vinyl bin:
  • wazoo  $17.95<br>
  • b'way  $12.99<br>
  • sheik   $9.95, $9.95, $14.95, $5.95<br>
  • joe's g    $50 red/white/blue wax sealed, 2 copies plus a $7.95 std copy<br>
  • j.a.b.f.l.a.  $25, $20, $12.95, $5.95<br>
  • fillmore  $7.95<br>
  • bws    3 copies at $17.95 and 1 at $11.95<br>
  • strictly com  $11.95, $11.95<br>
  • freak out   $30<br>
  • studio tan  $6.95, $7.95, $14.95<br>
  • 200 motels  $20, $17.95 (with book, no poster)<br>
  • lso 1   $7.95<br>
  • lso 2   $9.95<br>
  • ruben   $35, $30, $25, $7.95<br>
  • o.s.f.a.   $25<br>
  • sleep dirt    $12.95, $9.95 $9.95 [tt]i bought a copy for thing-fish24[/tt]<br>
  • z.i.n.y.   $14.95, $14.95, $12.95, $12.95 $9.95<br>
  • o/n sensation  $9.95, $5.95<br>
  • m.o.prevention  $14.95, $7.95<br>
  • t.t.r $14.95, $7.95<br>
  • m.f.utopia  $ 20<br>
  • waka   $17.95<br>
  • y.a.w.y.i  $25 jap. soft cover,  $7.95 std. copy<br>
  • bongo   $14.95, $14.95, $9.95<br>
  • them or us: 4 copies at $12.95<br>
  • francesco   $5.95<br>
  • u.meat   $20, $9.95<br>
  • zoot   $20<br>
  • apostrophe   $25<br>
  • jazz.f.hell   $11.95<br>
  • d.witch  $4.95<br>
  • lumpy g.   $20<br>
  • weasles bizzare looking jap. version, soft cover, original seal, with the front image totally fucked up like you need those 3-d glasses to get the full effect, the back was the standard sleeve notes in english for $30<br>
  • mothermainia  $30....i was sorely tempted to buy this one, but didn't....it looked like a german edition, with all german liner notes on the back, one note in english saying there is no new material on this album....i'll probably go back & get it since i don't have a copy  ::)
ok, those were the official releases, now for the non-official vinyls:
  • tis t.s.t.b.jelly: $17.95<br>
  • y.c.d.t.o.s. sampler $9.95<br>
  • no commercial potential   $20<br>
  • titties 'n beer   $30<br>
  • true glove  $14.95<br>
  • valley girl 12"single  $12.95, $7.95<br>
  • building a mystery box vol 1, chalk pie $29.99 double lp<br>
  • building a mystery box vol 2, randomonium $29.99 double lp<br>
  • building a mystery box vol 3, crush all boxes $29.99 double lp<br>
  • building a mystery box vol 4, r.o.t.s.o. serious music $17.99 single lp<br>
  • fz transparency (uk) $17.95<br>
  • grandmothers anthology   $25<br>
  • plus other misc bits & pieces
<br>the point is, if you want vinyl it's out there....i'm going over to their berkely store this weekend, which is just as big

Post subject: re: vinyl copies
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:30 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=albums;num=1054676168;start=15#17 date=12/08/03 at 21:55:52][tt] ...How in the hell did you remember all of the prices listed above...[/tt][/quote]<br>can barely remember my way home<br><br>i stood there & typed it in to my handy dandy hand-held utensil & emailed it to myself at home ::)....<br><br>no, i used my cell phone & left myself a long winded message on the answering machine  ::)  ::)  ....<br><br>actually, i whipped out my trusty#2 pencil - like, analog or what? -  & wrote 'em down on the back of store postcard <br>(which is totally appropriate for copying down prices for vinyl)  ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:43 pm 

In this town we have one music (cd) store.<br><br>You can buy either Cheap Thrills or Son of Cheep Thrills..<br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:43 pm 

I just remembered yesterday when Idiot Bastardson brought up CWR&TJ vinyl, that there is a store near my house that has some Zappa vinyls in good condition and for next to nothing. I went in their today & got a price list:<br>Absoloutley Free - $10<br>Uncle Meat - $12<br>Hot Rats - $10<br>One Size Fits All - $10<br>Roxy & Elsewhere - $10<br>Bongo Fury - $12<br>Zoot Allures - $8<br>Sheik Yerbouti - $8<br>Joes Garage Act I - $8<br>Joes Garage Act II & III - $10<br>Guitar - $14<br><br>I asked the guy where they were from and he said they were his and he has only sold a few since he put them on sale 5 years ago. He's selling them because he is very old and has no one to pass them onto, and dosent have record player anymore. Plus, $10 Aust. is $5 American. Its a bargain!<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:29 am 

yes - at those prices buy em.<br>i have recently come to the sad conclusion that im not going to be realistically listening to my vinyl anymore - they are nice things but cds win hands down for convienience - if i buy an lp nowdays it just does not get listend to - easier to put on a cd and easier to get it into the car where i can actually listen to the music as opposed to the screams of TURN THAT CRAP OFF .<br><br>mungo