Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:42 pm 

You can find everything you want to know about any version of "Sheik Yerbouti" here: <br><br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/vinylvscds/sheik_yerbouti.html<br><br>I think the only way you could tell any differences is if you've grown up with the vinyl version. The EMI CD is exactly like the vinyl, but it's really hard to find since it was a Europe-only release. I've seen people on Soulseek that have the vinyl mixes of certain albums that have different mixes on the CDs (Hot Rats, Ruben, SY), but I haven't downloaded them yet so I could do an A/B comparison myself. All I can say is that it's one of the best (if not THE best) album Frank did, no matter what format it's in.<br><br>P.S. If there are any other albums you have questions about, click where it says "Completist's Guide" near the top of the page.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:51 pm 

By the way, why did you listen to it backwards? Were you trying to find any Satanic messages? If so, what did they say? Also, how do you listen to something upside-down? ;D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:00 pm 

Well, I think the Ryko CD is quite inferior the the LP/EMI CD.  If you've only heard the Ryko CD, it should sound fine.  Go listen to the LP though, and you'll be amazed by the much wider dynamics and clarity in the mix.  Ed Mann's percussion and Terry Bozzio's drums sound so much crisper and present, while on the Ryko CD, they just blur in with the mix.<br><br>Like I said, though, this isn't stuff you'll notice unless you compare the two.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:22 pm 

Hopefully I have the European CD. It has no problems at all.<br><br>But it is sure that some Ryko remixes are disappointing for those who grown during the vinyl era.<br>I re-bought "Cruisin' with Ruben & the Jets" (I had the original 33 but it was stolen) on CD remastered by Ryko.<br>Drums rae horrible because they sound like drums sounded in the '80s (not in the '60s when the album was realised).<br>That's why I am still hesitating in re-buying other Frank's old records that I do not have anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:00 am 

Sheik Yerbouti is a good album, the problems arent enough to worry about imho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:20 am 

[quote author=RadioFreeEurope link=board=albums;num=1075865647;start=0#7 date=02/04/04 at 07:00:24]Sheik Yerbouti is a good album, the problems arent enough to worry about imho[/quote]<br><br>Are you kidding?? C'mon... you obviously never compared the Ryko CD to the LP or EMI CD.<br>There are MAJOR differances and BIG problems with the Ryko CD.<br><br>Go to this page below and you will finally understand why the Ryko CD sucks balls!<br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/vinylvscds/sheik_yerbouti.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:12 am 

hmmm...perhaps i should track down an emi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:16 am 

[quote author=RadioFreeEurope link=board=albums;num=1075865647;start=0#8 date=02/04/04 at 09:12:49]hmmm...perhaps i should track down an emi[/quote]<br><br>Yeah man do it. You won't be sorry and you will get to hear it in it's original correct form. The EMI CD shows up on eBay every once in a while so start lookin'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:34 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1075865647;start=0#9 date=02/04/04 at 09:16:05]<br><br>Yeah man do it. You won't be sorry and you will get to hear it in it's original correct form. The EMI CD shows up on eBay every once in a while so start lookin'.[/quote]<br><br>I saw it once for $35. A bit pricey for a CD, but I'm sure some people would still want to buy it. You probably have 3 or 4 copies, don'tcha, Jay? ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:56 am 

[quote author=Billy link=board=albums;num=1075865647;start=0#10 date=02/04/04 at 10:34:28]<br><br>I saw it once for $35. A bit pricey for a CD, but I'm sure some people would still want to buy it. You probably have 3 or 4 copies, don'tcha, Jay? ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Actually $35.00 is fair since it be outta print.<br>I only have 1 copy of that CD but here's what I do have Sheik wise:<br><br>EMI CD<br>Newer "remastered" RYKO Turd CD<br>Original FZ25 era RYKO Turd CD<br>U.S. LP<br>U.K. EMI reissue LP<br>Canadian LP (song titles listed on back cover)<br>Holland LP CBS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:00 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=albums;num=1075865647;start=0#12 date=02/04/04 at 12:11:44]<br>Oh, so I'm not the only one! I've been told with great authority that "Hot Rats" and "Sheik Yerbouti" are identical on both the Ryko CDs and vinyl but my ears insist, "That's a lot of shit!"<br><br>--Bat[/quote]<br><br>Who the hell told you that the Hot Rats LP and CD were identical?  There are HUGE differences between those two.  However, unlike Sheik Yerbouti, I love both versions of Hot Rats.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:07 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1075865647;start=0#11 date=02/04/04 at 11:56:20]<br><br>Actually $35.00 is fair since it be outta print.<br>I only have 1 copy of that CD but here's what I do have Sheik wise:<br><br>EMI CD<br>Newer "remastered" RYKO Turd CD<br>Original FZ25 era RYKO Turd CD<br>U.S. LP<br>U.K. EMI reissue LP<br>Canadian LP (song titles listed on back cover)<br>Holland LP CBS[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, I think I wound up paying $35 for one on Ebay a few years ago, and I was surprised that the bid didn't get any higher than that.  I know that the Tinseltown Rebellion and You Are What You Is EMI CD's were going for really high prices before Ryko fixed them.  The EMI CD even reproduces the white-on-red lyric sheet rather than cheaply printing it black-on-white.  It really is a shame that Frank was too stubborn to admit that EMI's straight-from-vinyl-masters discs were a thousand times better than the ones he "tweaked" (read: ruined) himself.  Look, I love Frank, but the guy really should have left the remastering process to someone who knew what he was doing.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:03 pm 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=albums;num=1075865647;start=0#12 date=02/04/04 at 12:11:44]<br>I've been told with great authority that "Hot Rats" and "Sheik Yerbouti" are identical on both the Ryko CDs and vinyl but my ears insist, "That's a lot of shit!"<br>--Bat[/quote]<br><br>Whoever told you this great information is one DEAF Son Of A Bitch!!  ;D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:46 pm 

[quote author=Audrey II link=board=albums;num=1075865647;start=15#17 date=02/04/04 at 17:03:02]<br><br>Some harsh words there, especially the last line ...[/quote]<br><br>Well, it's true.  You can't listen to the old YAWYI CD and tell me it was mastered by a guy who knew what he was doing.  I think he was too excited about all the then-new technology he had to play with that he had too much fun with it and messed a lot of stuff up.  Mike Keneally basically blamed the YAWYI CD on Frank's over-experimentation with new technology.<br><br><br>
Quote:
When I heard that Sheik Yerbouti had the same problems as YAWYI, I held off on buying the album, untill I could find a cheap vinyl copy. <br><br>However, the vinyl copies were so over-priced, which is why I got the CD, which I loved! I couldn't believe that Zappa fans hated the sound quality on Sheik so much!
<br><br>Well, the Sheik Yerbouti CD isn't NEARLY as bad as the YAWYI and Tinseltown Rebellion CDs.  Like I said before, the problems with Sheik aren't noticable unless you've heard the original LP.  <br><br>
Quote:
Listen, if you think the vinyl editions of some albums are superior to the CDs, that's great, but I don't wanna worry about that. There are 70-something Frank Zappa albums, and I want to hear them all. I don't want to hear each and every mix of the albums, I want to hear the albums.
<br><br>Well, um, I believe it was you who asked what was wrong with the CD.   ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:11 pm 

[quote author=Audrey II link=board=albums;num=1075865647;start=15#19 date=02/04/04 at 19:05:15]<br>I just wanted people to tell me what they thought of the CD[/quote]<br><br>Um... isn't that what I did?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:20 pm 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=albums;num=1075865647;start=15#21 date=02/04/04 at 19:13:45]<br><br>Two people on the Yahoo "Zappa-List" insisted that the "Willie The Pimp" guitar solo was "not edited at all" and that that annoying "keyboard" chunking its way through "Little Umbrellas" (and obscuring the many carefully constructed woodwind subtleties) was "always there" and that the dubbed-in sax done in the '80s were there but were just more of the "original Ian Underwood sax solo" that were added to the CD only because they couldn't fit on the vinyl LP. Well, I knew from the audio quality that there were sax parts added to the original in the '80s and what I was being told was total bullshit.<br><br>--Bat[/quote]<br><br>I actually don't think there were any newly recorded instruments.  I think the CD just contains extra elements from the sessions that weren't on the LP.  Like I said though, I actually like both mixes.  I equally enjoy the clean, polished CD as I do the rawer, more classic-sounding LP.  Anyone who thinks the two are the same is insane though.  Maybe these people had the Old Masters LP version?  I think that version is remixed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:02 pm 

Sheik Yerbouti is great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:38 pm 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
as a camel once said... or was it yoko ono?....<br><br><br>aaawk...<br>