Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Playground Psychotics
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:08 am 

It's probably one of the few albums i don't read anything about in this forum, hell: even the Francesco Zappa album has it's own thread now...<br>Well my opinion about this album is the following:<br>i really like the musical parts that we're recorded at the Pauley Pavilion, Rainbow Theatre and The Fillmore East.<br>But i think the spoken parts are really a waste of space on both c.d's: of course they are funny the 1st or 2nd or even maybe the 3d time you hear them, but after that, they just get plain boring and rather irritating, don't you think ???<br>Why didn't Frank just leave all those spoken parts of and, instead, put out an album (or even a double one: i guess there's enough material recorded live in that period, 1971 that is....) full of live material recorded in those 3 concert venues.<br>I mean the recordings that HAVE been released from that period and from THOSE venues are (at least, that's my opinion..) actually pretty good.<br>Well, i guess with the new Vaulternative releases on the way, i bet there will be an album worth of live material from 1971 among them, so what am i complaining about here.....???<br><br>I would still like to know what you guys think of this album, so write down your thoughts here.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:52 am 

Well, this album is definitely for hardcore FZ-fanatics only. I actually like the spoken word parts, they really help in understanding the concept of 200 Motels and give an intimate glimpse of 'life on the road' so I consider them an essential part of Conceptual Continuity. But unlike a lot of Zappa fans, I like the Flo and Eddie period so any 'new' material is welcome here.<br><br>Then again, I don't listen to PP very often and I skip most of the spoken word parts. The music is nice though, it's fun to hear WOIIFTM - tracks sung by F&E. That version of 'Mom and Dad' is great and (dare I say it?) perhaps even better than the original. <br><br>There's more great live material from the Flo and Eddie band on some of the Beat the Boots albums, like 'Swiss Cheese' and 'Tengo Na Minchia Tanta'. The sound is okay too, especially on the latter which sounds just like a regular live album. I think a complete version of the 'Sofa' suite in good quality would make a nice Vaulternative album.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:26 am 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
<br>[quote author=MrBickford link=board=albums&num=1032620886&start=0#2 date=09/21/02 at 11:17:20]<br>It is the only 1 from original official releases that I have not bought yet and probably never will. :D<br>[/quote]<br>I love this disc!  The music is great!  Billy the Mountain!  Concretation Moon!  Wonderful Wino!  Flo and Eddie! John and Yoko!  (Ok, that might be the low point of the disc?)<br><br>The interview w/ the bell hop is priceless.  Vivisectionist and Mudsharks!  lol.  Mr'B, you are depriving yourself of a great time w/ this wonderful time capsule.  When I heard it I didn't like it, but like most FZ, it grows on ya!  Just be patient w/ it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:16 pm 

I think the album's hilarious.  I've listened to it several times and never fails to crack me up.  Particularly the cuts where the band's getting stewed in the hotel lounge (Howard Kaylan's adlibs are priceless), and where they are rehearsing 200 Motels ("I wouldn't mind playing some more rock and roll music.")<br><br>But I think the real reason Frank released this anyway was because he knew he would be dead soon and he was having fond memories of those tapes.  I truly believe the last few releases from Frank before his death were his most sentimental.<br><br>Muffinman72326

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:27 pm 

Has anyone ever seen the video footage of that historic evening?  By the time Yoko had broken into that spontaneous vocal extravaganza all of the Mothers had left the stage, leaving John and Yoko alone.  My favorite part of the video is during the performance of Scumbag when Howard Kaylan drapes a huge bag of Yoko during her performance (a parody of John and Yoko's "bagism" campaign).<br><br>muffinman72326

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:47 am 

[quote author=drooling_savant link=board=albums&num=1032620886&start=0#3 date=09/21/02 at 12:26:29]<br><br>I love this disc!  The music is great!  Billy the Mountain!  Concretation Moon!  Wonderful Wino!  Flo and Eddie! John and Yoko!  (Ok, that might be the low point of the disc?)<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Yeah, Yoko at least is a major lowpoint. John's cool. The video of that performance that's floating around out there is pretty nifty...and you can see John, with Frank's encouragement using some of Frank's hand signals to conduct the band all by himself and at another point they take turns. I dug it....but Yoko is an ever present irritation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:35 pm 

I've only had it about a month..... I love it always..<br><br>What I ended up doing was making a copy of just the songs, skipping over a lot of the dialog and adding in songs from 'Ahead Of Their Time' <br><br>I play that copy in the car, that's where I listen to most of my Zappa music, anyway...<br><br>To be honest about it,, I have around a Hundred, or so, 90 minute tapes, with different mixtures of CDs.<br><br>I have been doing this for a few years, trying to come up with the Ultimate Zappa tape.. <br>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:06 am 

Funny, just listened to it yesterday after quite a long time. ...<br>I Like PP for the uncut Billy The Mountain and for the good mix of the Lennon/Ono encore (and the fantastic Concentration Moon/Mom & Dad version!).<br>Though the Flo & Eddie Era to me is the least important (to ME!), The 1970/71 band hat GReat instzrumental moments! The material in general is very substantial for, as said above, 200 Motels and the "anthropological field work" and all Comceptual Continuity in Frank`s oevre. The 2 Cds are unlistenable to non-fans, the talking sequences create a good atmosphere, though. But, I personally favour Aherad Of Their Time - an album which you can compare to PP. ...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:42 am 

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!<br>I´M SHARE FOR ZAPPA´S DISCOGRAPHY .<br>THIS ALBUM IS REALLY WORST.<br>TO ANYONE: STAY AWAY. :

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:47 pm 

[quote author=Papagajas link=board=albums;num=1032620886;start=15#17 date=03/02/04 at 17:04:32]<br><br>3.7 of what?[/quote]<br><br>Well, if we're talking about when they recorded it and Howard and Mark were jumping all over the stage, I think Peaches means that it'd be a 3.7 on the Richter scale. ;D<br>