Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rhino Records
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:46 am 

So, I put a bunch of cd's on hold at the library. MOst of the albums where the releases from Rhino Records. Ugh. The horror. They sound so bad it's ridiculous. Most of the material is live stuff, which, sounds like they didnt even try and attempt to fix. A lot of the times, a song starts as a fade in from the middle of another song. Ugh, anyone heard this crap? I guess the only good thing though is hearing some Mother's adlibbing and Frank asking people to move away from the PA speakers and wires because they might burn themselves and that they want a real teenage sound. Lol. Boston '68 also is not a Ryco/Rhino release but it's fun to listen to. So if you guys stumble on this on Kazaa I would recommend it. <br><br>-Gonzo

Post subject: Re: Rhino Records
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:07 am 

Congratulations! You have just discovered the "Beat the Boots" series. The reason Frank didn't edit them in any way was because he wanted them to sound the way the original tapes sounded.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:42 am 

[quote author=Billy link=board=albums;num=1074800800;start=0#1 date=01/22/04 at 12:07:34]Congratulations! You have just discovered the "Beat the Boots" series. The reason Frank didn't edit them in any way was because he wanted them to sound the way the original tapes sounded. [/quote]<br><br>I see. His genius surpasses me. ( rhyming not intended)Well anyway, has anyone heard these monstrosities?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:49 am 

[quote author=Gonzo link=board=albums;num=1074800800;start=0#2 date=01/22/04 at 12:42:31]<br><br>I see. His genius surpasses me. ( rhyming not intended)Well anyway, has anyone heard these monstrosities?[/quote]<br><br>Yeah I have both of the Box Sets... it was meant for the collector freak like me mostly. The are reprints of boot LPs nothing more, nothing less.<br>Click the following link for more info on the sets...<br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/vinylvscds/beat-the-boots.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:55 pm 

Although the sound is really disgusting in some releases that I know (most of the BTB I), I still prefer to hear faintly how amazing was the performance and celebrating Freak Out's birthday set palyed in the Mothers Day 1974 Mitigated Audacity .... I wish the Original Zappa Tapes Would arise for this Notre Damme gig... Really amazing. And not meantioning the Piquantique extravaganza (which, meaning that god is real, is capetured on video!!!), or the AS AN AM...<br><br>Better bad SQ audio,  than don't hear Zappa at all...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:31 am 

Well you learn something new everyday. Although these releases by Rhino seem to have no Zappaesque quality. Ok, why does the cd cover have a hammer? And why is the inside cd booklet blank? Why print it like that? Odd.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:55 am 

[quote author=Gonzo link=board=albums;num=1074800800;start=0#5 date=01/23/04 at 07:31:46]<br>Ok, why does the cd cover have a hammer? And why is the inside cd booklet blank? Why print it like that? Odd.[/quote]<br><br>They are copies of BOOTLEG LPs... hence the lack of any real liner notes. they are supposed to be shitty, it was done on purpose. what do u want?? Jeeziz! ::)<br><br>The Hammer: Box I came with a T-Shirt with a cartoon drawing of FZ smashing an LP. Hence the title Beat The Boots!<br>Now let it go!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:29 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1074800800;start=0#6 date=01/23/04 at 07:55:06]<br><br>They are copies of BOOTLEG LPs... hence the lack of any real liner notes. they are supposed to be shitty, it was done on purpose. what do u want?? Jeeziz! ::)<br><br>The Hammer: Box I came with a T-Shirt with a cartoon drawing of FZ smashing an LP. Hence the title Beat The Boots!<br>Now let it go!!![/quote]<br><br><br>Just curious.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:16 pm 

In Brazil you still find some reapeted specific tiles from the BTB I series (I never saw any BTB II here), and before the release of Rycko catalogue in a big Brazilian distribution company, it was about all you could get from Zappa at popular prices. I bought allmost every cd in Zappa's catalogue paying for imported  albums,  I filled the small gaps with the national prints three or four years ago...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:37 pm 

1975, Rhino Records was just a modest little record store near UCLA when owners Richard Foos & Harold Bronstein decided to press a little 45 featuring the music of Larry "Wildman" Fischer. A few years earlier, Frank Zappa had produced an album entitled "AN EVENING WITH WILD MAN FISCHER," an eclectic little recording that had miserable sales, but elevated Larry's notoriety to a cult status among certain record collectors. When Larry happened to walk into the Rhino Records store one day, the owners had a brainstorm, and talked Larry into recording a quick little ditty on a cheap little cassette recorder in the back room of the record store. "Go To Rhino Records" was the first record ever released by Rhino Records, and was initially just a give-away for the loyal customers of the store. Based on the success they had with this little experiment, Rhino Records decided to launch their own record label, which grew into the most successful American reissue label, and was later acquired by the Time-Warner Empire.<br>[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:03 am 

Earlier I was listening to Our Man In Nirvana when I came across a track of a man singing/screeching about going to a mental institution. At first I thought it was Ian Underwood. It SOUNDED like him. But that's me thought because Im still always in the learning process. Anyway, turned out to be the Wild Man Fischer track by Larry Fischer. So I took up a search on Google and found nothing but a College Professor here in Minnesota. Anyone know about him other than he made Rhino Records what it is?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:22 am 

[quote author=Gonzo link=board=albums;num=1074800800;start=0#13 date=01/27/04 at 09:03:26]<br>Anyone know about him other than he made Rhino Records what it is?[/quote]<br><br>Here's some good info on Larry...<br><br>http://home.new.rr.com/tapelists/wildman/<br><br>You're Fucking Welcome!  ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:12 am 

Foo-eee ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:07 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=albums;num=1074800800;start=15#16 date=01/27/04 at 10:33:06]In case you've never seen it:<br>the package of Beat The Boots 1[/quote]<br><br>The '73 band. Nice touch. ;D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:59 pm 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=albums;num=1074800800;start=15#16 date=01/27/04 at 10:33:06]In case you've never seen it:<br><br>Image<br><br>the package of Beat The Boots 1[/quote]<br><br><br>Nice. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:00 pm 

[quote author=Mr_Green_Genes link=board=albums;num=1074800800;start=15#15 date=01/27/04 at 10:12:07]Foo-eee ;D[/quote]<br><br><br>Yeah I see that on the back. The Rhino/Man says it. What the hells that mean anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:20 pm 

Nevermind I just realized it came from Ike Willis.