Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:10 am 

really, i don't have a problem with any of the cds i own, including sheik yerbouti and waka/jawaka. i haven't heard the vinyls of any cds i have besides sleep dirt (which i love both versions of!), and i love the cds. maybe they aren't mixed the same way.<br><br>but the point is: they still sound good.<br><br>how many of you people saying the vinyl sounds better are fans from the vinyl days?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:09 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1039561505;start=15#27 date=07/21/03 at 01:18:13]Face it: Frank was smarter than you....[/quote]<br><br> ;D ;D ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:13 pm 

I think some people are going a tad overboard with this "every LP is better than the CD" talk.  So here's my list of CD's that don't live up to the vinyl:<br><br>Cruising With Ruben & The Jets - overdubbed bass and drums.  This is probably the most hated CD release, even though I've grown to like it.<br>Uncle Meat - The digital reverb kind of gets on my nerves, but otherwise okay<br>Fillmore East - Missing "Willie The Pimp Part Two"<br>Waka/Jawaka - A little bit of reverb added, but I didn't notice it until I heard the LP later.  I do prefer the dryness of the LP though.<br>Zoot Allures - Something about this CD sounds flat to me<br>Sheik Yerbouti - The compression on this sucks the life out of album for me.  "I'm So Cute" is cut down.<br><br>CD's that are different from the LP's but not necessarily worse:<br>Freak Out - Slight remix.  I can go either way.<br>Hot Rats - Drastically different mixes.  I love them both.<br>Sleep Dirt - CD has added vocals.  I prefer the instrumental LP, but a lot of people like the CD better.<br>The Man From Utopia - Different mixes, different song order.  I can't really decide which one I like better.  The CD has a bonus track, but it sucks.<br>Thing-Fish - CD version of "He's So Gay" has Johnny "Guitar" Watson's "commentary" added over it.<br><br>CD's that are better than the LP<br>Zappa In New York - tons of bonus tracks<br>Broadway The Hard Way - tons of bonus tracks<br>Guitar - tons of bonus tracks<br><br>I might have missed a few, but those are the main differences.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:41 am 

??? ???I am sorry if i get up any audiophiles' nose's but to debate this is qiute pointless because as you all will know there is 2 little things on the back of all rykodisc cd version's=FZ APPROVED,this for me decide's the fate of how the cd appear's i.e;content(artwork,lyric's)tracklisting,and remastering.holding on to the idea of one better than the other is refusing to accept the way forward for FZ's music,please remember that he was working all the way up to his death to perfect his art so that his fan's could enjoy to the highest degree.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:09 am 

What about Weasels Ripped My Flesh? The vinyl version wins<br>because of the fantastic cover,  (looks great framed) the CD on the other hand has<br>that excellent extended version of Didya Get Any Onya.<br>Get Both!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:49 pm 

The dude that introduced me to the Great music of FZ said he didn't like the CD version of Hot Rats because the song "Willie the Pimp" is different than the vinyl version. There are a few different CD releases for this album and he's heard a few of them but none are like the original, does anyone know of a CD release that is exactly like the original?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:57 pm 

EXACTLY, eh:<br><br>Absolutely Free (same as LP only with two bonus tracks<br>We're Only In It For The Money ('95 CD)<br>Burnt Weeny Sandwich<br>Just Another  Band From LA<br>Over-nite Sensation<br>Apostrophe (the latest CD's anyway)<br>One Size Fits All<br>Bongo Fury<br>Joe's Garage (pretty sure about this one)<br>Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar<br>Ship Arriving Too Late<br>The Perfect Stranger<br>Them Or Us<br>FZ Meets The Mothers Of Prevention (same mixes as vinyl, but CD compiles all songs from both US and European versions)<br>Jazz From Hell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:10 pm 

[quote author=madcow1515 link=board=albums;num=1039561505;start=30#37 date=02/19/04 at 21:57:20]EXACTLY, eh:<br><br>Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar[/quote]<br><br>Well, this is only the case if you buy the newer CDs. The original Ryko came in a 2 CD set.  They still had all the same songs as the vinyl/remastered 3 CD set, but  they were in a different order.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:28 am 

[quote author=Rocinante link=board=albums;num=1039561505;start=30#36 date=02/19/04 at 18:49:20]The dude that introduced me to the Great music of FZ said he didn't like the CD version of Hot Rats because the song "Willie the Pimp" is different than the vinyl version. There are a few different CD releases for this album and he's heard a few of them but none are like the original, does anyone know of a CD release that is exactly like the original?[/quote]<br><br>Nope. All the CDs are the same remix... the one that is very differant than the original LP.<br>So... what I did was I ripped the LP to MP3 and burned myself a CD of the LP. Johnny very happy!!  ;D ;D<br>I do however like both mixes alot but lean more toward the original LP 'cause it's such a masterpiece and FZ really shouldn't have fucked with it. <br>So to me Hot Rats LP v. CD is like 2 differant records.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:10 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=albums;num=1039561505;start=30#42 date=02/20/04 at 12:28:26]<br><br>Nope. All the CDs are the same remix... the one that is very differant than the original LP.<br>So... what I did was I ripped the LP to MP3 and burned myself a CD of the LP. Johnny very happy!!  ;D ;D[/quote]<br><br>How did ya do that, Jay? <br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:44 pm 

[quote author=sinky link=board=albums;num=1039561505;start=30#34 date=02/12/04 at 06:41:06] ??? ???I am sorry if i get up any audiophiles' nose's but to debate this is qiute pointless because as you all will know there is 2 little things on the back of all rykodisc cd version's=FZ APPROVED,this for me decide's the fate of how the cd appear's i.e;content(artwork,lyric's)tracklisting,and remastering.holding on to the idea of one better than the other is refusing to accept the way forward for FZ's music,please remember that he was working all the way up to his death to perfect his art so that his fan's could enjoy to the highest degree.[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, that You Are What You Is CD that Frank approved in 1993 that's full of volume swells, a harsh headache-inducing high end, and all sorts of other audio defects sure does sound great!  I really think that some of you guys really do have a blind love for everything Frank ever touched.  Several of the masters Frank approved are OBJECTIVELY WORSE than to the LP's.  Now, I can understand someone saying, "Frank approved that master, and therefore, it shouldn't be tampered with."  However, I think that saying, "Frank approved it, so it's automatically good," is just plain ignorant.  <br><br>Ugh, I know I've kind of been adding fuel to the fire here, but  can't we end this vinyl vs. CD debate already?  There's an entire web page devoted to this.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:41 pm 

[quote author=madcow1515 link=board=albums;num=1039561505;start=30#44 date=02/20/04 at 23:44:20]<br>Yeah, that You Are What You Is CD that Frank approved in 1993 that's full of volume swells, a harsh headache-inducing high end, and all sorts of other audio defects....[/quote]i've only had the cd a few months, but i never noticed the stuff you're complaining about.... i'll listen for it the next time, but i still say the cd is totally listenable, & the dumb all over segue alone is worth the purchase price.... <br><br><br>[quote author=madcow1515 link=board=albums;num=1039561505;start=30#44 date=02/20/04 at 23:44:20]... can't we end this vinyl vs. CD debate already?  There's an entire web page devoted to this.[/quote]<br>no fucking way dude, it's an endless discussion that ain't been flogged to death by a long shot....this is an fz forum after all, & where else are you going to discuss arcane esoteric subtle almost imperceptible differences of fz vs fz<br><br><br>btw, how about that sleep dirt vinyl  ;D .... awesome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:21 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=albums;num=1039561505;start=45#45 date=02/21/04 at 00:41:14]<br>i've only had the cd a few months, but i never noticed the stuff you're complaining about.... i'll listen for it the next time, but i still say the cd is totally listenable, & the dumb all over segue alone is worth the purchase price.... [/quote]<br><br>No, no.  I'm talking about the CD that was out before Spencer Chrislu fixed it in 1998.  The 1998 disc sounds great.  I was just pointing out that the disc Frank approved in 1993 was so bad that it had to be remastered due to the massive outcry of people who bought it.  Just because it says "FZ approved master" on it doesn't mean it's perfect.