Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:35 am 

``Gimme a Hendrix Album <br><br>That stands today,../<br><br> I haven't got one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:38 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=albums;num=1076923979;start=15#27 date=02/19/04 at 05:21:50]Have you ever seen that tv docu about the making of 'Electric Ladyland'? They put the 16 track back on the table and Eddie Kramer gives a listen to what's happening on the different tracks in some of the songs.<br><br>It's not only about wild guitar playing, it's about harmony, composing, recording techniques and tricks, humor, new directions in rock, hardrock, blues and jazz. Jimi Hendrix was brilliant and unique, too bad he wasn't clever enough to keep off the road to selfdestruction.   [/quote]<br>I never knew that existed! I MUST find it! If I was forced to pick only one Hendrix album, it would be that one.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:20 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1076923979;start=15#25 date=02/19/04 at 02:57:22]<br>about every song Hendrix wrote was a vehicle for his guitar...<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I agree with almost everything you said, except this.  I don't think he wrote those songs as vehicles to show off his chops; it's just that the guitar was such a part of him (Eddie Kramer said he caught Hendrix sleeping with one) that they came out that way.  Like Sebastian said, Hendrix was a brilliant songwriter who could compose the hardest rocker or the gentlest ballad.<br><br>You did allude to something though: this argument is not only off topic from the original post, but it's also pretty mundane.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:23 am 

[quote author=stride link=board=albums;num=1076923979;start=15#26 date=02/19/04 at 04:35:28]``Gimme a Hendrix Album <br><br>That stands today,../<br><br> I haven't got one[/quote]<br><br> ??? You may not dig them, but Hendrix albums remain relevant today and continue to sell in large quantities.  All four of the albums he released while he was alive (and some of the posthumous ones) stand up just as good today as they did during his lifetime.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:00 pm 

Everything I've ever heard by Hendrix has bored me practically to tears. <br>Never had that problem with FZ. Does this make me wrong?

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:43 pm 

[quote author=VapoSlob link=board=albums;num=1076923979;start=30#33 date=02/21/04 at 19:00:34]Everything I've ever heard by Hendrix has bored me practically to tears. <br>Never had that problem with FZ. Does this make me wrong?[/quote]<br><br>No, it means you find Hendrix boring.  :-/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:12 am 

Well, since the reviewer is an "expert guitarist" I guess he must be right. I think I'll throw all my Zappa records away, and order in a load of records featuring Joe Satriani and Kurt Cobain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:43 am 

Ok, since Frank released so many albums based on his guitarr playing I picked this review from allmusic.com, it is for the 2 disc release of Shut up 'n play:<br><br>
Quote:
While most of the discussions of Frank Zappa have to do with his satirical and off-color lyrics, the fact remains that he was one of the finest and most underappreciated guitarists around. This collection places the spotlight squarely on Zappa's mastery of the guitar. Recorded for the most part in 1979 and 1980 (with a few tracks dating as far back as 1977), Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar is simply a collection of guitar solos. Even though most of the tracks were just edited out of their original song context, they fare well as stand-alone pieces, as Zappa was an ever-inventive player. Take, for example, the three versions of "Shut Up." These tracks were simply the guitar solos from "Inca Roads," but thanks to Zappa's ability for "instant composition," each version has its own complete story to tell, without ever being redundant. Other highlights are the reggae-tinged "Treacherous Cretins" and the beautiful "Pink Napkins."<br>In addition to the electric guitar mangling contained on Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar, there are a couple of rare tracks that feature Zappa on acoustic guitar in a trio with Warren Cuccurullo on acoustic rhythm guitar and Vinny Coliauta on drums. In fact, special mention goes to Coliauta for his polyrhythmic daring all over this album. All bandmembers play great throughout, but Coliauta's playing is mind-blowing. The album closes with another oddity: a gorgeous duet between Zappa on electric bouzouki and Jean-Luc Ponty on baritone violin. This is an album that should be heard by anyone who's into guitar playing. Highly recommended. — Sean Westergaard<br>
<br><br>Enjoy, I hope.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:38 pm 

I don't know if Frank was a Van Halen fan, but he said that Eddie Van Halen was a great guitarist who's style everyone approproated and ran into the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:26 pm 

The quote I remember went something like, "He's really talented.  I wish he wouldn't use drugs."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:50 pm 

^ I'm pretty sure that quote was regarding Jimi Hendrix.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:26 am 

[quote author=r_a_Z_Z link=board=albums;num=1076923979;start=45#45 date=02/23/04 at 21:50:06]^ I'm pretty sure that quote was regarding Jimi Hendrix.[/quote]<br><br>He talks about this in an interview available on the CD Frank Zappa Interview Picture Disc. Here's an incomplete transcript:<br><br>Q: ...your thoughts on some of your contemporaries... Keith Richards?<br>FZ: I don't know anything about Keith Richards.<br>Q: Jimi Hendrix?<br>FZ: I knew Jimi, and I think that the best thing that you could say about Jimi is "There's a guy who shouldn't have used drugs".<br>Q: John McLaughlin?<br>FZ: I've met John. I think he's a great guitar player and I think that he's probably done a lot to educate American audiences to some aspects of Eastern music...<br>Q: Lowell George?<br>FZ: There's another guy who shouldn't have used drugs.<br>Q: Eric Clapton?<br>FZ: I know Eric. I haven't seen him in years and years. There's another guy who shouldn't have used drugs.<br>Q: Jeff Beck?<br>FZ: One of my favourite guitar players on the planet. He's... from a melodic standpoint and just in terms of the conception of what he plays, he's fabulous. I like Jeff.<br>Q: Jimmy Page?<br>FZ: I don't know anything about Jimmy.<br>Q: Peter Green?<br>FZ: Don't know him either.<br>Q: Pete Thownsend?<br>FZ: I've met Pete, but... I don't know what I can say about his guitar playing.<br>Q: Robert Fripp?<br>FZ: I've never heard a Robert Fripp record.<br>Q: So... as you said, you don't listen to the popular music... I don't expect that you know Eddie van Halen.<br>FZ: I do know Eddie. He comes over to the house, because he hangs out with my son.<br>Q: I see. But do you know him as a guitar player?<br>FZ: Oh yeah. He and my son play together. And... he's fabulous. There's another guy who shouldn't have used drugs.<br>Q: Your thoughts on yourself as a guitar player?<br>FZ: Well, I do something really different on the guitar. I don't so much play the guitar as make up stuff. And I'm dealing with... the notes that I play in a solo, I can see them as a composition that's happening instantly at the time... you know, you have two minutes to fill up, or nine minutes to fill up, or whatever it is... a piece of time which is anywhere from two to nine minutes long and you're gonna decorate it with notes. You're gonna make a composition in there.<br><br>Get the CD... it's all right. <br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:30 am 

Sorry guys but... why are you so surprised?<br>If you ask casual listeners to judeg Guitar (or many other FZ albums) you will probably end up with a review of this kind.<br>Let's face it: it is not music for everyone, and it is not about their musical culture. I know many people that can appreciate non-mainstream music but they cannot dig Zappa.<br>I can easily believe that this guy is an "expert guitarist", it only depends on what you mean by that... FZ used to blame those guitarists whose goal is to play their solos exactly like the records no matter how good or bad, hard or easy they were. So if this is the kind of solos this guy is looking for when he buys a record named "guitar" what would you expect him to say?<br><br>By the way it doesn't bother me at all that there is people who don't like Frank's music, it makes me feel somehow superior instead ;)<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:39 am 

[quote author=Mikah link=board=albums;num=1076923979;start=45#47 date=02/24/04 at 05:30:48]Sorry guys but... why are you so surprised?<br>If you ask casual listeners to judeg Guitar (or many other FZ albums) you will probably end up with a review of this kind.<br>Let's face it: it is not music for everyone, and it is not about their musical culture. I know many people that can appreciate non-mainstream music but they cannot dig Zappa.<br>I can easily believe that this guy is an "expert guitarist", it only depends on what you mean by that... FZ used to blame those guitarists whose goal is to play their solos exactly like the records no matter how good or bad, hard or easy they were. So if this is the kind of solos this guy is looking for when he buys a record named "guitar" what would you expect him to say?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I agree.  My guitar teacher was a really good guitarist, but whenever I'd mention Zappa, he'd show a complete lack of enthusiasm.  His basic opinion on Zappa's guitar playing was, "he knows what he's doing, but he's REALLY sloppy."  I agree that Frank could be pretty sloppy at times, but I'll take a little sloppiness over Joe Satriani or even Steve Vai any day of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:18 am 

Thanks Perdeeim.  8)<br><br>About Frank being sloppy: I don't think you can judge Frank on something like technique because while he had plenty of it, he was going for something more in his playing.  Remember in The Real Frank Zappa Book where he talks about his guitar influences (Howlin' Wolf, Gatemouth, etc...), and he talks about one solo in particular (I forget who's) where it sounded like the guy was pissed off at his guitar. It was a certain type of playing that transcended the notes, and that was Frank's greatest inspiration on the six string.<br><br>Mikah:<br><br>I agree that Guitar is a pretty hard album to get into (more so than SUNPYG), but this guy claims to be a Frank Zappa fan and he talks about "Zappa's guitar playing in general".  So basically, we can assume that this guy has heard say, Hot Rats, meaning all the shit he's talking about here would apply to a solo as well stated as "Son of Mr. Green Genes".  Didn't know how to play guitar my fuckin' ass.  :-/