Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: TOO MUCH ZAPPA!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:02 am 

No never happened to me.Did she give a reason or was it just arbitrary?How old are you? because when I was 12 and started earning money for chores etc.. it was mine to do with as I pleased

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:57 am 

My mum don't care WHAT I buy, she cares of how MUCH in cd ways I buy.<br><br>I am 15, soon turning 16 and its hell sometimes, gotta take responsiblity for the money and all.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:06 am 

That is so sad Peaches.... :'(<br><br>Did she give a reason? <br><br>Does your Mom know any Zappa music?<br><br>What does she listen to?<br><br>Do you talk to her about music in general?<br><br>Tell her that the "offensive" aspect of the lyrics on this offering by FZ is really not the words or ideas he uses.<br><br>But the actions and behaviors of people in response to words or ideas.<br><br>It is very encouraging to know that a young one is actively seeking Zappa.  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:50 pm 

[quote author=ET link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=0#5 date=03/30/04 at 20:40:36]You're probably better off saving your money for something different. If I'm not mistaken, most of the songs on that album can be found elsewhere.[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, but they're almost all different mixes. Check this out:<br><br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/misc/offended.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:04 pm 

[quote author=Peaches En Regalia link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=0#0 date=03/30/04 at 07:03:34]At circut city, i was gonna buy Have I offended someone? My mom said NO! Though it was with MY money, she said NO! When you were kids (or if u still are one,) did/do you have this problem??  :P<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes I had.<br>My father got scaried for my vynil-mania...<br>I bought my first LP when I was 13 (Dire Straits - On every Street) and since that moment I started spending a lot of money (...all my few money) week after week...many times I didn't tell to my parents how many money I was spending... now I'm 26 and I have got over 1500 LP and CD... ciao<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:05 am 

[quote author=Peaches En Regalia link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=0#0 date=03/30/04 at 07:03:34]At circut city, i was gonna buy Have I offended someone? My mom said NO! Though it was with MY money, she said NO! When you were kids (or if u still are one,) did/do you have this problem??  :P<br>[/quote]<br>You know better than she does. Go back later and buy it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:49 am 

[quote author=Peaches En Regalia link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=0#9 date=03/31/04 at 05:20:40]<br>She said I have too many (34) Frank Zappa CD's! It was my birthday cash, they didn't give me the money! They didn't even contibute to birthday money! I am 11.[/quote]<br><br><br>Already 11 years old and only 34 zappa albums? Why did you wait so long, and what did you listen to all those long and many years before you bought your first FZ record?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:10 am 

My brother worked as manager of a small record store a couple of years ago... specialized in c/w music and top ten pop records. I talked him into ordering in some Zappa records. He told me one time that a young boy (12-13 years old) came into the store with his mother, and he was going to get a CD. He spotted "Son of Cheep Thrills" on the shelf. He picked it out and seemed very excited about it. His mother turned around and asked "Have you found anything you like?" He showed her the CD, and she replied "No! Out of the question. Frank Zappa is a terrible person." The kid hung his head, chose another shit record, his mother paid for the CD and they left. That's child abuse! The kid probably never heard Zappa music before... (Motherly love can drive you crazy!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:58 am 

Well, my mother never really was pleased with the splephora of music I bought. She never really cared what I listened to at all. She was too busy getting drunk all the time. But, now I have the problem of when I go to a store to get a cd, I usually head right to where the Frank Zappa cd's are (if they have ANY), my girlfriend scoffs and says you "Already have a bunch of Zappa, you don't need anymore." I say "Bullshit", you can never have enough Zappa. Hehe. I don't get mad and scoff when I see her in the record store and getting Justin Timberlake, The Sounds, The Darkness, or Metallica. See, I've tried to get her to listen to Zappa, I did once, but it was Just Another Band from L.A.. I had never listened to it either so we were both a bit dissapointed. So now I listen to Joe's Garage all the time. Once she said, "Hey I kind of like that song, who is this?" I tell her Zappa, she rolls her eyes. Ah well. Women. Oh yeah, today has been a horrible day, I burned my fingers badly on a toaster oven and just ripped my pants walking over to the computer. It's great because these are one of the few pants I have to which I have to wear to work. Fuck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:16 am 

[quote author=SenseOfDoubt link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=15#17 date=03/31/04 at 12:09:59] I tell her Zappa, she rolls her eyes. Ah well. Women. quote]<br><br>yeah, i made similar experiences with women - most of them absolutely dislike THE MAN, i do not know why, people. but i know ONE GIRL who loved him; i do not see her very often these days, but she was (and is, as i think) really into him. actually its also the only girl i know that had sex while listening to zappa (most people would prefer lionel richie at this point).<br><br>and so the list goes on:<br>the girlfriend of one of my friends finds him "weird" and "disgusting". she is a nice girl and i like her, but that is simply too much.<br><br>btw, when i enter a cd store, the zappa section (if there is any :D ;D >:( :() is also the first one i use to go to (then comes miles davis, david bowie, and so on and so on)....<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah I've been getting into Bowie too. I like the 70's era myself. Anything after that..I just tune it out. <br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:10 pm 

I don't own any Bowie, but I have heard a lot of great material.   I'm always shocked at how good his bands are, time and time again.   And they are still good in my ears!   that Tuesday's child song was annoying to me, but I've heard live performances from some of his bands over the past few years and they are always so different and great!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:30 pm 

Peaches - buy it at a future date when she's not around to say "NO". She means well, but she's just plain WRONG this time.<br><br>As for the Bowie turn that this thread took, listen to Tin Machine. Reeves Gabrels is sometimes unbelievable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:07 am 

[quote author=SenseOfDoubt link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=15#17 date=03/31/04 at 12:09:59] yeah, i made similar experiences with women - most of them absolutely dislike THE MAN, i do not know why, people. but i know ONE GIRL who loved him; i do not see her very often these days, but she was (and is, as i think) really into him. actually its also the only girl i know that had sex while listening to zappa (most people would prefer lionel richie at this point).[/quote]<br>Cherish her.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:17 am 

[quote author=SenseOfDoubt link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=15#19 date=03/31/04 at 12:27:18]<br><br>fine! check out (if you haven't until yet):<br>- station to station (76)<br>- low (77, w/eno - my personal favourite)<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>My favourite Bowie period is the 70 trilogy: Heroes/Low/Lodger but... best Bowie album and best 90ies album is...<br>[glow=red,2,300]O U T S I D E [/glow]<br>