Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: TOO MUCH ZAPPA!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:48 am 

[quote author=MIZZU link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=15#24 date=04/01/04 at 03:17:35]<br><br>My favourite Bowie period is the 70 trilogy: Heroes/Low/Lodger but... best Bowie album and best 90ies album is...<br>[glow=red,2,300]O U T S I D E [/glow]<br>[/quote]<br><br>ABSOFUCKIN'-LUTELY also my opinion!!!<br><br>But back to the topic.<br>I was also 11 when I convinced my mom to BUY ME Joes Garage Act 1. She did saying "Well, you are not so good at english so far, well okay..." Remember I am germen and this was back in 1981. Meanwhile I got the whole catalog and lots of stuff, saw his last performance and his last tour... GOSH!!! :'( <br>Theres much prejudice around. FZ was weird, infantile, a dictator, did only sing about sex, was perveted and his music is not hook at all. Matters what you consider hook. People MUST see the beauty of songs like Peaches or Black Page! Most current pop might be hook, but to me its boooooring to death!<br>Leave em! They dont gwet it and its shameful. Like Sting said: Its hard to tell the poison from the cure  ;)<br><br>love,<br>zliq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:29 am 

i was talking to a guy last night who was a big george duke fan...but didn't like zappa that much wtf??? anyway he went on in great length "informing" me of how zappa was a complete cokehead and into acid all the time as well. i let him go on for about 10 minutes or so before telling him how much shite he was talking...i think he was a little disillusioned when i informed him different  ::)

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:51 am 

Most of the people I've spoken to, who doesn't know Zappa, assumes that he died either from a drug overdose or AIDS. Go figure...<br><br>I talked to a guy about music a couple of years ago. and naturally Frank Zappa came up. The guy said: "Yeah. Frank Zappa... he almost didn't use drugs at all... just pot and LSD". I said: "No. Zappa didn't use drugs. He wouldn't even let his musicians do it. The strongest stuff he used was espresso and cigarettes." The guy looked at me like I was some sort of idiot, and said: "Have you HEARD any of Zappa's music?".    That has to be the stupidest question I've ever heard in my life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:36 pm 

[quote author=peerdiem link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=15#28 date=04/01/04 at 10:51:12]Most of the people I've spoken to, who doesn't know Zappa, assumes that he died either from a drug overdose or AIDS. Go figure...<br><br>I talked to a guy about music a couple of years ago. and naturally Frank Zappa came up. The guy said: "Yeah. Frank Zappa... he almost didn't use drugs at all... just pot and LSD". I said: "No. Zappa didn't use drugs. He wouldn't even let his musicians do it. The strongest stuff he used was espresso and cigarettes." The guy looked at me like I was some sort of idiot, and said: "Have you HEARD any of Zappa's music?".    That has to be the stupidest question I've ever heard in my life.[/quote]<br><br>From At The Circus:<br><br>
Quote:
I'm On Duty<br> <br><br>'An I just look back at 'em and I say, "I AM ON DUTY." <br>On duty. On duty. On duty. <br>I'm on duty. I'm on duty. I'm on duty. <br>I'm duty, duty, duty, duty, yeah, duty! Duty! Unh! Duty! I'm on duty! <br>I'm on Duty! Duty, duty, duty, etc. <br>And whenever I say that to 'em when I'm going through customs, they always look back at me and they say, c'mon Frank, tell us the truth. What are you really on? I mean you can't possibly expect us, with our uniforms and our submachine guns to think that you're just, I mean, what are you on? <br>An' I just say, I'm on duty! I'm on duty! I'm on duty! I'm on duty! <br>Y'know, there was a time when I wasn't really on duty. There was a time when, well, let's just say there wasn't any need for my services, because, well, y'know, sometimes a guy gets unemployed. But today, I've found work. I've found happiness. Because I'm one of the few Americans who actually is on duty. Y'know what I mean? Hey... now look! <br><br>So, well, let's just go right into that song then, and keep doing it until their film runs out, what the hey, we're on duty, aren't we? OK, because later, you can all have a pizza! (Hey) <br>
<br><br> ;DSab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:55 pm 

Nice pic, Sab! I'm guessing that's the '69 band, which would make that Lowell George on the far left, and Buzz Gardner beside Bunk.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:04 am 

Thank you Billy for the sincere sediments.<br><br>Speaking of too much Zappa, at work today as I was about to leave I got into a discussion with a fellow worker about the fact that we would only have a four day week next week because of Good Friday, which I will not get reimbursed for.  I was not happy, as you might imagine and I said, "They don't pay me for no religimous holidays.  It just slipped right out.  You know you have been listening to Zappa too much when you start talking like Thing Fish in everyday conversation.<br><br> ::)Sab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:32 am 

[quote author=Sabby link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=30#31 date=04/02/04 at 13:04:05] You know you have been listening to Zappa too much when you start talking like Thing Fish in everyday conversation.<br><br> ::)Sab[/quote]<br><br>Or you realise this when you realise that your views on this world, personal phylosophy of life etc. resemble in a damned way to Frank's views on music, drugs, politics, sex, etc.<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:34 am 

I hear that!  well,   maybe not so much about the drug thing! ;D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:51 pm 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=30#32 date=04/02/04 at 13:32:24]<br><br>Or you realise this when you realise that your views on this world, personal phylosophy of life etc. resemble in a damned way to Frank's views on music, drugs, politics, sex, etc.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>That too, that too.  Although I think I was headed in the direction anyway.  Frank  just pushed me over the edge.    Aiiiiieeeeyyyyhhhhh! :o<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:39 pm 

[quote author=Sabby link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=30#31 date=04/02/04 at 13:04:05]Thank you Billy for the sincere sediments.<br><br>Speaking of too much Zappa, at work today as I was about to leave I got into a discussion with a fellow worker about the fact that we would only have a four day week next week because of Good Friday, which I will not get reimbursed for.  I was not happy, as you might imagine and I said, "They don't pay me for no religimous holidays.  It just slipped right out.  You know you have been listening to Zappa too much when you start talking like Thing Fish in everyday conversation.<br><br> ::)Sab[/quote]<br>I sometimes slip a few un-needed plurals and s' into my conversation, like you here Ike do on some songs. What's the deals withs that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:05 pm 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=30#32 date=04/02/04 at 13:32:24]<br><br>Or you realise this when you realise that your views on this world, personal phylosophy of life etc. resemble in a damned way to Frank's views on music, drugs, politics, sex, etc.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah. I am getting there. I'm starting to say things that I hear on his albums. For instance, the other day I was putting together a six speaker system in my apartment. Upon completion, when I figured out the whole thing worked I said yelled "hoy hoy hoy". Just like in Pojama People. After I said it, I figured out what I did and responded "arf!".  It's just that...his music...is so motherfucking good! I dont think my musical tastes will ever be the same again. And thank GOD for that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:44 pm 

[quote author=Peaches En Regalia link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=30#37 date=04/07/04 at 17:35:34]Sometimes at my desk at school, i just break out & pretend to drum the beat to City Of Tiny Lights, or something like that. I also say "GOD! IT'S GOD!"[/quote]<br><br>I find myself drumming out songs on Roxy all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:10 am 

Peaches, your mum is kinda holding you off and is VERY negative to your music taste. >:(<br><br>You should start showing her the other sides of Frank, the ones that she doesn't know!<br><br>It might make her think twice.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:33 am 

[quote author=dr_grogg link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=30#43 date=04/09/04 at 10:10:17]Peaches, your mum is kinda holding you off and is VERY negative to your music taste. >:(<br><br>You should start showing her the other sides of Frank, the ones that she doesn't know!<br><br>It might make her think twice.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I made my a "mother friendly FZ collection" when I visited my mother in December. I don't remember all the songs, but there was some stuff from Freak Out!, Cruising With Ruben & The Jets, Grand Wazoo, Overnite Sensation and The Yellow Shark. She also likes "Why does it hurt when I pee"... Of course, she doesn't listen to the lyrics, but still.<br>One time when I came home, she was doing the dishes, and at the same time she was actually singing that song, church choir style! I was so proud.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:43 am 

[quote author=Peaches En Regalia link=board=albums;num=1080659014;start=45#45 date=04/11/04 at 08:25:34]<br>Ya, thanks for not callin her a bitch. You are right.<br>[/quote]<br><br>A person that I don't know personally and have never met is not a kind of person I would call by any sort of "name".<br><br>Good luck Peaches, try different tactics or so.<br><br>I don't really know what kinda taste in music your mom got. But, do you know?<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>