Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:11 pm 

[quote author=King Geedorah link=board=albums;num=1082301042;start=45#48 date=04/19/04 at 18:03:03]Then again, is there any real value in arguing over which Zappa album is the best anyways?[/quote]<br><br>Ah, there we go! :D<br><br>"This one is the best, while this one is merely fantastic" ;D<br><br>But anything to have a good time, so long as it doesn't cause a murder. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:16 pm 

Again, I agree that analyzing music and developing what you referred to as a critical ear is useful.  For instance, analyzing the harmonies/rhythms/whatevers of Hot Rats is nothing short of great.  What isn't great however, is saying that album a is better than album b because it has a higher score from the categories I chose to judge an album by (and some of those categories are kinda sketchy).<br><br>Let's forget about this argument anyways, because it's not getting anywhere.  Here's how your categories go in my opinion:<br><br>1.  Composition Hot Rats<br>2.  Performance Hot Rats<br>3.  Introduction of New Musical Concepts Hot Rats<br>4.  Lyrics WOIIFTM, but that's kinda unfair<br>5.  Uniqueness and Effectiveness of Arrangements Hot Rats<br>6.  Place in Musical History Both are landmark albums, but Hot Rats gets the edge for its place in the history of fusion<br>7.  Place in Sociological History I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, but I guess I can go with WOIIFTM since it was a spot on commentary/satire of the specific era it was recorded<br>8.  Excellence in the Musician Lineup Hot Rats<br>9.  Quality of Recording Hot Rats<br>10.  Listenablilty Uh, Hot Rats is easier to listen to, but I dunno if that was the point of Zappa's music<br>11.  Representation of the Artist's Overall Career  Hot Rats - Frank Zappa: American Composer, not American pop satirist (although both were big parts of his musical character, the former outweighs the latter)<br>12.  Representation of the Current Band WOIIFTM simply because the Hot Rats musicians were not a real band<br>13.  Completeness of the Album's Concept WOIIFTM<br>14.  Packaging and Liner Notes  WOIIFTM<br>15.  Conceptual Continuity Tie. Every piece of Zappa music is important to the overall conceptual framework.<br><br>Score: Hot Rats - 9, WOIIFTM - 5<br><br> 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:38 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=albums;num=1082301042;start=15#29 date=04/19/04 at 12:55:26]Oh, well.  What a shame.  Hot Rats has taken the lead.  Not that HR is a bad album, its awesome.  It just isn't Frank Zappa's Best Album.  Best is, of course, a weird word.  What does it quantify?  If HR wins, then it quantifies certain people's favorite.  Thats fine, favoritism certainly is a valid perspective for "Best".  However, I do not agree that it is as valuable as some other criteria.  "Best", imo, implies that the album's realization was highest overall in the following categories:<br><br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Well said...so...<br><br>1.  Composition<br>Hot Rats<br><br>2.  Performance<br>Hot Rats<br><br>3.  Introduction of New Musical Concepts<br>WOIIFTM<br><br>4.  Lyrics<br>WOIIFTM<br><br>5.  Uniqueness and Effectiveness of Arrangements<br>Hot Rats<br><br>6.  Place in Musical History<br>Hot Rats<br><br>7.  Place in Sociological History<br>WOIIFTM<br><br>8.  Excellence in the Musician Lineup<br>Hot Rats<br><br>9.  Quality of Recording<br>Hot Rats<br><br>10.  Listenablilty<br>Hot Rats<br><br>11.  Representation of the Artist's Overall Career<br>Hot Rats<br> <br>12.  Representation of the Current Band<br>Hot Rats<br><br>13.  Completeness of the Album's Concept<br>Hot Rats<br><br>14.  Packaging and Liner Notes<br>WOIIFTM<br>  <br>15.  Conceptual Continuity<br>WOIIFTM<br><br><br>so...Hot Rats wins 10-5...I confirm my vote!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:01 pm 

WOIIFM is really geting its ass kicked, but I'm still holding out hope.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:10 pm 

This has become the most boring thread on this forum!   hmmmmm......  boring.........hot rats......... makes you think....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:45 pm 

[quote author=Noah link=board=albums;num=1082301042;start=45#59 date=04/20/04 at 22:10:02]This has become the most boring thread on this forum!   hmmmmm......  boring.........hot rats......... makes you think....[/quote]<br><br>Nooooooo...why do you say this? radley had a great idea, IMO...I hope that after the "best-solo" and the "best-album" he will has a new idea...<br><br>[glow=red,2,300]That's my  V O T E  for RADLEY[/glow]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:16 am 

[quote author=Zardoz link=board=albums;num=1082301042;start=60#62 date=04/21/04 at 03:08:39]<br><br>Dammit FZ had a bald spot? How much did it grow on the '84 tour? <br> ;D 8)[/quote]<br><br> ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:24 am 

I'm so glad to hear that Frank had a bald spot. It makes me so much more like him. Now make my day and tell me he also had bad breath and a wind problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:49 am 

Breath problems can kill<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:55 am 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=albums;num=1082301042;start=60#64 date=04/21/04 at 03:19:48]<br><br>Really? I could've swore that Frank's bald spot started to appear during the '88 tour...? ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah i think your right, I seem to remember being quite shocked by its appearance when I saw him at Wembly Arena in that year. He also done loads of synclavier work that night (thought i'd just throw that in).<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:11 am 

[quote author=MICRODOT link=board=albums;num=1082301042;start=60#69 date=04/21/04 at 06:55:12]<br><br>Yeah i think your right, I seem to remember being quite shocked by its appearance when I saw him at Wembly Arena in that year. He also done loads of synclavier work that night (thought i'd just throw that in).<br>[/quote]<br>perhaps the synclavier itself lead to the bald spot appearing.....

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:28 pm 

not the tournament, but the discussion on voting criteria.

Post subject: re: fav fz
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:27 pm 

the voting criteria discussion is interesting, saves me the mental energy to think it up for my lazy self; but i don't buy it personally... when it comes to rating albums you like, it's more of an unquantifiable gut feel that makes you pick one over another ...at any rate, how can you pick¿ between 2 fz albums you like & rate equally high but for different reasons like: <br><br><br>su&pyg-----------|<br>-------------------|[font=arial black]shutup & play yer waz[sub][img width=19 height=13]http://www.zappa.com/yabbFiles/YaBBImages/shocked.gif[/img][/sub][/font]<br>grand wazoo-----|<br><br>no way for me to say one's better than the other, but gimme hot rats over money anyday...much simpler choice for me....<br><br><br>the tourney-meister has to carefully select the initial lineup in order to generate maximum controversy...another good effort by the radster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next