Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:31 pm 

Hey all.<br><br>This has probably been addressed before, but does anyone know the deal concerning the different CD releases of the same titles?<br><br>Specifically:<br><br>I have the original "Apostrophe / Overnite Sensation" CD. The sound level is noticeably lower than almost all the other CDs I play (Zappa or otherwise.) I would imagine that the later (one album per disc) releases would have a higher level, but is the sound otherwise improved?<br><br>I just bought a disc of "We're Only In It For The Money" that's listed as being an FZ approved master from 1993 / 1995 release. Until now, I only had a tape that I made of the original CD (with "Lumpy Gravy".) If I remember correctly, the original CD release had re-recorded drums, and this CD, so it seems, does not. However, the "don't come in me" parts of "Harry, You're a Beast" have been reversed, so that you can't tell what they're saying. Radio edit? What the hell? They weren't that way on the original CD release. Were they edited on the original LP? I haven't gone back to my old tape to compare, but as I sit here listening to it, this  1993/5 version sounds VERY different than what I'd been used to.<br><br>Both my "Sheik Yerbouti" and my "You Are What You Is" are the "FZ/25" versions released in 1990 and I've always thought that the sound quality was pretty shitty. Are later versions any better?<br><br>Is anyone of the opinion that I should buy different versions of any of these albums?<br><br>Thanks.  ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:43 pm 

dude, sign up with completists anonymous near you; <br>it's a 12 step program  ;D<br><br>woiift$$[sub]Image[/sub]<br>apostrophe[sub]Image[/sub]<br>you are what you is[sub]Image[/sub]<br><br>you need all versions of every last fucking fz release

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:56 pm 

The reversed part in Harry is like the original LP.<br><br>I think it's much more effective that way.<br><br>I never like the remixed CD with the added bass and drums and other changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:07 pm 
Banned

QOQUAQ wrote:
The reversed part in Harry is like the original LP.

I think it's much more effective that way.

Censored?

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:56 pm 

Harry You're A Beast isn't merely censored - it's done creatively.<br><br>I feel it produces better images in your mind than when you hear what they're actually singing.<br><br>It's more visual, in my opinion.<br><br>I also have an early pressing of Money which has some very uncreative censorship.<br><br>I don't approve of that.<br><br>But I think some of the things that were done to Zappa's albums when they were remixed for CD are far worse than censorship.<br>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:44 am 
Banned

QOQUAQ wrote:
But I think some of the things that were done to Zappa's albums when they were remixed for CD are far worse than censorship.

NOTHING IS WORSE THAN CENSORSHIP

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:52 pm 

[quote author=Ren Höek link=board=albums;num=1084141898;start=0#5 date=05/10/04 at 13:44:09]<br><br>Uh, excuse me, RENHOLE, but NOTHING IS WORSE THAN CENSORSHIP!!![/quote]<br><br>Stop it. You'll hurt your throat.<br>

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:35 am 

[quote author=Ren Höek link=board=albums;num=1084141898;start=0#5 date=05/10/04 at 13:44:09]<br><br>Uh, excuse me, ASSHOLE, but NOTHING IS WORSE THAN CENSORSHIP!!![/quote]<br><br>What's your problem, buddy?<br><br>Besides being wrong, that is. Censorship is not a good thing, but if you use your brain for a minute or two, you can surely think of worse. You can probably even think of things that should be censored.<br><br>Thanks for the help, all (including angry guy up there.)   ;D<br><br>(My wife's boss sent her home with an LP of Overnight Sensation to give me. The jacket is a little musty smelling, and the glue is failing, but the album itself  looks like it's NEVER been played. I'm psyched!)<br>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:06 am 
Banned

Sebastiaan wrote:
Of course, someone with a different opinion is an asshole.

No, but someone who has the idea in his head that remastering albums for release on compact disc is worse than censorship is an extremely ignorant person.

elROACHo wrote:
What's your problem, buddy?

Besides being wrong, that is. Censorship is not a good thing, but if you use your brain for a minute or two, you can surely think of worse.

If YOU had used YOUR BRAIN for a minute or two before you posted this crap, you might've noticed that I had a point.

elROACHo wrote:
You can probably even think of things that should be censored.

No, I can't. Is this guy kidding?

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:10 am 

As many of you probably know by now, I absolutely detest the remix of Hot Rats.<br><br>And I happen to consider the desecration of such a brilliant work of art to be far worse than censorship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:24 pm 
Banned

QOQUAQ wrote:
And I happen to consider the desecration of such a brilliant work of art to be far worse than censorship.

I don't know which part of your comment to complain about first.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:27 pm 

[quote author=Ren Höek link=board=albums;num=1084141898;start=0#13 date=05/14/04 at 18:07:48]<br><br>I don't know which part of your comment to complain about first -- the fact that you consider adding five additional minutes of material that wasn't on the original LP mix, as well as cleaning up the sound of the album and enhancing it's brilliance to be "the desecration of such a brilliant work of art," or that you consider enhancing an album's quality to be far worse than censorship.[/quote]<br><br>What was deleted from the album definitely bothers me more than what was added.<br><br>But the original editing was certainly more artistic.<br><br>And as far as the improved sound quality goes, what good is improving the sound quality of a song if you also remove the melody!<br>

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:42 pm 

[quote author=Ren Höek link=board=albums;num=1084141898;start=15#15 date=05/14/04 at 18:32:35]<br><br><br><br>The melody line from "It Must Be A Camel" was not removed from the CD remix.[/quote]<br><br><br>I wish you were right.<br><br>On my CD, the section right before the drum solo no longer contains the melody, only the harmony parts.<br>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:59 pm 
Banned

QOQUAQ wrote:
I wish you were right. On my CD, the section right before the drum solo no longer contains the melody, only the harmony parts.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:16 pm 

I'm not tone deaf and I don't smoke weed.<br><br>And when I respond to you, I am trying to be diplomatic, but you sure don't make it easy.<br><br>I presume that you are stating that your CD contains the melody on that section of It Must Be A Camel, right before the drum solo.<br><br>I believe you are either mistaken or lying.<br><br>Of course there is the possibility that your Hot Rats CD is different from mine.<br><br>I have the original Ryko release.<br><br>Do you have a later version?<br><br>Can anyone else verify that the later version different from the one I have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:59 pm 
Banned

QOQUAQ wrote:
I presume that you are stating that your CD contains the melody on that section of It Must Be A Camel, right before the drum solo.

I believe you are either mistaken or lying.

YOU ARE MISTAKEN.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:45 pm 

[quote author=Ren Höek link=board=albums;num=1084141898;start=15#17 date=05/14/04 at 18:59:42].......you are tone death...[/quote]<br>[quote author=Ren Höek link=board=albums;num=1084141898;start=15#19 date=05/14/04 at 20:59:08]....my tone death..... friend....[/quote]<br><br>as in ¿<br>[font=courier new]tones for joans bones[/font]<br>[sub][tt](by chick corea)[/tt][/sub] <br><br><br>[right][tt]like, try tone deaf[/tt][/right]

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:51 pm 

[quote author=Ren Höek link=board=albums;num=1084141898;start=15#19 date=05/14/04 at 20:59:08]<br><br>No, YOU ARE MISTAKEN, my tone death, pot smoking friend.<br><br>Both Ryko CDs are exactly the same, and DO contain the melody line on "It Must Be A Camel."<br><br>It was NOT removed.[/quote]<br><br>Can someone else weigh in on this subject?<br><br>I believe that I am correct and Ren Höek is obnoxious.<br>

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:55 pm 

my tone died... <br>it's buried out back<br><br>and i agree thing farce / ren / audry / isaac whatever is name  is this month, is, indeed, obnoxious..

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:44 pm 

just listened to the camel/cd 5 times - it's a great mix because anything added/changed was equal to whatever was removed/remixed; they're different but they're the same fucking song...i like the clearer sound (woodwinds) & separation on the cd but the fuzziality of the original lp was more than just a muddy sound, it suited the tune perfectly...if anything the snare/tom & piano is excessively up-front except for the piano intro where it's a nice laid back tone & volume...the percussion is a lot less suppressed on the cd<br><br>as far as the melody being dropped; still don't hear it (me smoke d'erb, me no tone dea[s]th[/s]f, mon) the melody drifts in & out throughout the track, like the first guitar solo/riffs, actually most of the guitar parts are jams without the melody...to me, the woodwinds are the melody; when they're not playing the melody kinda drops out but not really<br><br>what about take 1 & 3, it ain't censorship just because it was left off the album<br><br>what about bognor regis, now if anything belonged on that album, that does<br><br>what about the live version of willie the pimp by the '88 band; if anything could be considered desecration that's it, but hey, just the thought of ike singin willie is conceptually difficult at first, same with the horns playin the intro, & the can't be beat/can't be beat/can't be beat etc....i like it anyway, not as much as frank's intros during the 70's but still a fine adaptation of the tune for a big band<br><br>[conclusion]it's neither censorship or desecration[/conclusion]<br>

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:49 am 

[quote author=Ren Höek link=board=albums;num=1084141898;start=0#9 date=05/13/04 at 13:06:00]<br><br>If YOU had used YOUR BRAIN for a minute or two before you posted this crap, you might've noticed that I had a point.<br><br><br>No, I can't.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I understood your point, but it was overshadowed by your pissiness.<br><br>And as far as things that should be censored, an obvious, current-events sort-of example would be the al-Qaida decapitation videos. I can understand why something like that would be censored, for a number of reasons.<br>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:58 pm 
Banned

QOQUAQ wrote:
I believe that I am correct and Ren Höek is obnoxious.

reednzl wrote:
... i agree thing farce / ren / audry / isaac whatever is name is this month, is, indeed, obnoxious..

elROACHo wrote:
I understood your point, but it was overshadowed by your pissiness.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.