Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:03 am 

I never liked Grand Funk Railroad very much. A few songs here and there that I heard on the radio were okay. CLOSER TO HOME was always good to hear. Overall, I didn't bother with them.<br>ABOUT THE YEAR 1976: <br>Then one day I saw it. I was diggin' through the new release singles in a record store, and I caught the words 'Produced by Frank Zappa' on a Grand Funk single (I think it was CAN YOU DO IT). That was all I needed to see. I figured there must have been an album, and I found GOOD SINGIN' GOOD PLAYIN'. This was the only Grand Funk album I ever had. Years later, having not heard it for over 10 years, I found it on a CD. Once in a while I break it out. <br><br>The track OUT TO GET YOU makes this disc worthwhile. It's almost an instrumental, very minimal lyrics. GFRR guitarist Mark Farner couldn't come up with a guitar lead part for it, so he asked the producer FZ to help out. And help out he did. Frank's guitar work on OUT TO GET YOU is very tasty, and reminiscent of the tone he used on the ZOOT ALLURES album.<br>Any Zappa fans who didn't know about this Grand Funk album should pick one up! The CD is on the Hip-O label in the US. The CD has a bonus track called RUBBERNECK, which features Zappa on backing vocals. The rest of the album isn't bad, but FZ only plays on two tracks. <br>Other noteworthy tracks: PASS IT AROUND, MISS MY BABY, CROSSFIRE, and GOIN' FOR THE PASTOR.<br>

somehow...