Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: conspiracy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:11 pm 

Hey ho!...we all know that Frank liked to tape EVERYTHING! This tiny bit of info. leads me to wonder whether there exists any recording of the night Bob Dylan was reported to appear at the Zappa household? Legend has it that Bob came by one cold rainy night and inquired of Frank to produce his upcoming album. The album that became Inidels.  Bob sat down at a nearby piano and supposedly played eleven songs for Frank. Now, it might have been possible that Frank grabbed a guitar and they jammed. Does anyone out there know the validity of this story? And if Frank had the recorder going?     ---jeddy

Post subject: Re: conspiracy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:19 pm 

<br>HUMO: Are there any projects that you would've liked to conclude, but couldn't?  <br> <br>Zappa: Yes, thousand and one things. Classical pieces, rock opera's, a multimedia tour, a project with three-dimensional television, my own TV-station, loads of own records, projects with Dweezil and Ahmet, a jubilee show at the occasion of my fiftieth birthday: "Zappa's Universe"...  <br> <br>I would also like to produce Bob Dylan. A couple of years ago he suddenly stood on my doorstep. I hadn't seen a picture of him in years, so I wasn't sure if this shabby vagabond I was looking at on the video monitor, was really Dylan. So I sent my sound technician - who's more in tune with pop music than me - to the door to see if it was Dylan. It was him. He played a couple of songs for me on the piano, and I gave him some suggestions, but it never grew into anything more. Pity, because Bob is one of the few people I would call a kindred soul.  <br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:11 pm 

great story  :o .... but what's the conspiracy angle? ....<br>always thought zappa slagged on bob.d because he did'nt think much of his music....so, maybe he also would have liked to produce helen reddy ;D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:41 am 

I think Frank liked (or at least respected) Bob Dylan, at least that's what he says himself, when he describes Bob as '' a kindred soul''...<br><br>How could he NOT like Bob...I mean, he has wrote some of the greatest songs of our time, has always done his own thing, followed his own road, his own belief, and although Bob had to put up with a lot of shit during his live, and surprisingly the man is still out there today, he never let it get him down.<br>Kinda like Frank, if you look to him from this angle...<br><br>A shame that the Zappa produced Dylan album never happened...i wondered what Bob would have sounded like...<br><br>By the way, isn't it kinda ironic that ESPECIALLY during his Born Again Christian-period, Bob turned to the person who's most against organised religion of any kind...???

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:17 pm 

oh ya...the story also states that Frank suggested Bob go to Georgio Morodor to produce it! Now THAT would be bizarre!!     ...and yes...it does seem very odd that Dylan would inquire of Frank while he was a new Christian....<br><br>Also there's a story in which Frank recalls hearing "Like a Rolling Stone" on the radio ,for the first time,while in his car and he felt like quitting music all together because Dylan so succinctly "said-what-needed-to-be-said" so perfectly!  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:42 pm 

[quote author=r_a_Z_Z link=board=albums;num=1051056674;start=0#1 date=04/22/03 at 17:19:15]<br>HUMO: Are there any projects that you would've liked to conclude, but couldn't?  <br> <br>Zappa: Yes, thousand and one things. Classical pieces, rock opera's, a multimedia tour, a project with three-dimensional television, my own TV-station, loads of own records, projects with Dweezil and Ahmet, a jubilee show at the occasion of my fiftieth birthday: "Zappa's Universe"...  <br> <br>I would also like to produce Bob Dylan. A couple of years ago he suddenly stood on my doorstep. I hadn't seen a picture of him in years, so I wasn't sure if this shabby vagabond I was looking at on the video monitor, was really Dylan. So I sent my sound technician - who's more in tune with pop music than me - to the door to see if it was Dylan. It was him. He played a couple of songs for me on the piano, and I gave him some suggestions, but it never grew into anything more. Pity, because Bob is one of the few people I would call a kindred soul.  <br>[/quote]<br>I'm trying to imagine what a Zappa-produced Dylan album might sound like, and I just can't!<br><br>Hey RaZZ, if you found this interview online, could you paste a link to it? I'd love to read the whole thing. (Zappa interviews are like food to me)<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:51 pm 

Can anyone tell me if Zappa produced Alice Coopers first album ? i heard somewhere frank was involved with getting cooper started.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:03 pm 

from alice cooper interview [tt]<---click me for more[/tt]....[center]Image[/center]<br>
Quote:
AC: We identified with Frank. We were of course influenced -- when everybody hears Zappa, they're influenced by him, just like The Beatles. But we were more affected by him than influenced. We understood that there was someone thinking the same way and so when we got together with him it worked perfectly. We got on his label, and the Bizarre organization is just going up and up. So we have faith.<br><br>MQ: Why does the album [Pretties For You] have sort of a muted quality as compared to the performance?<br><br>AC: You can't get the visual thing on the record as much as you'd like to. We produced this album, and we'd never done that before, except when we produced singles for ourselves. What happened was Frank wanted to produce us, and with Frank we didn't get the same feeling. He didn't get the feeling that we wanted -- nothing on him, but he wasn't on the same trip. He started to, but we said we weren't happy with the feelings we got off the cut ... the album now is more us than the other production that Frank did.<br><br>MQ: What were some of the differences he was putting into it?<br><br>AC: I think he was trying to produce more of a ... sort of a cheaper image.<br><br>NEAL SMITH: Everything's recorded a lot tighter.<br><br>AC: We wanted it more live and raw. We didn't want a studio sound. We just set it up and recorded it the way we played it. But that was the way we played it then. We play it differently now. If we did the album now it would be different.<br><br>MQ: Whose concept was the album?<br><br>AC: Well, it's our concept. It's Frank's painting on the cover. We were originally going to use a Salvador Dali painting that we got permission from Salvador Dali to use, and Frank found this one, and it really did fit the music much more. We try to be as much involved in our product as possible, because then it's us.<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:14 pm 

Thanx Slime that clears thing up . ;D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:59 pm 

Dylan went ahead and co-produced "Infidels" with Mark Knopfler who also played guitar on the record, I believe it won a Grammy that year. <br><br>-<br><br>At one time I had ACs first two records- I traded a guy Three Sparks albums for Easy Action and Pretties For You... <br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:26 am 

Interesting trade although now I'd think you would want the AC albums backThe only AC albums I like were those two and the one that followed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:45 am 

Love It To Death, a true rock classic. Yeah, man I wish I did have all those old records again.<br><br>Actually, I had all of his albums up to "Goes To Hell". I still have Easy Action, School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies.<br><br>I think maybe 'Killer' is still around here somewhere as well. I was heavy into Alice Cooper, then I heard an 8-track tape called<br>Apostrophe, and my focus changed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:14 pm 

KIllers one of my favs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:43 am 

Back to Bob again...<br><br>Dylan is on the road again.<br>He is currently on that long lonesome road somewhere in North America...keep on keeping on...<br><br>It's unbelievable that after more than 40 years the man is still out there and still giving concerts and touring each year, i can't wait untill he visits Holland again, so i can go see him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:23 pm 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=albums;num=1051056674;start=0#13 date=04/25/03 at 11:43:45]Back to Bob again...<br><br>[/quote]<br>OK!<br><br>Custom Mix CD with new rare stuff is NOW available: <br>http://custommixcd.com/dylan/  (originally posted by: "Howlee" @ TMBb)  <br>

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:47 pm 

I read somewhere about Dylan showing up at Frank's house with thoughts of Frank producing his new album. One of the dogs started barking. Frank supposedly said to Bob,"it's ok.  They don't like Christians." <br>   Is this some weird urban legend?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:52 pm 

I read something similiar in a thread here a long time ago...anyone care to add their official or unoffial explanations.... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:02 am 

HoranceCornsnaps wrote:
I read somewhere about Dylan showing up at Frank's house with thoughts of Frank producing his new album. One of the dogs started barking. Frank supposedly said to Bob,"it's ok.  They don't like Christians." <br>   Is this some weird urban legend?

I thought he said "he only bites Cristian's" Why on earth would anybody want a recording of Dylan on piano and Zappa on guitar, I just can't fathom the desire in that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:24 am 

Fingthish wrote:
HoranceCornsnaps wrote:

I thought he said "he only bites Cristian's" Why on earth would anybody want a recording of Dylan on piano and Zappa on guitar, I just can't fathom the desire in that.

For the Faithful you could have a trained Monkey on piano and Frank on guitar and you could sell it, hell I would buy it... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:52 am 

Plook wrote:
Fingthish wrote:
HoranceCornsnaps wrote:

For the Faithful you could have a trained Monkey on piano and Frank on guitar and you could sell it, hell I would buy it... :smoke:

Would that be one of the Ma Maison monkies?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:53 pm 

sir_galoot wrote:
Dylan went ahead and co-produced "Infidels" with Mark Knopfler who also played guitar on the record, I believe it won a Grammy that year. <br><br>-<br><br>At one time I had ACs first two records- I traded a guy Three Sparks albums for Easy Action and Pretties For You... <br><br><br><br><br>

Earlier comments about Bob's Christian records, Infidels was a clear break from those records (Slow Train Comin' and Saved) and came out several years later. Bob had moved back to writing secular tunes. Infidels is a good record and Mark Knofler did a good job focusing it. A number of good Dylan songs on it and a more 'produced' feeling.

Frank's quote about "Like a Rolling Stone" clearly showed that he listened to other people's music more than he sometimes admitted. Dylan broke the mold several times (I didn't always like the results, but never questioned the man's willingness to try new approaches).

Dylan's reaching out to Frank is not surprising, it actually reinforces my respect for Bob.