Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:06 am 

hello,<br>I currently have Have I Offended Anyone, and Strictly Commercial. There are some songs I like and some I can't stand on both. And Zappa has a shit load of albums so I dont know which one I should get next. Here are the songs I like in order:<br><br>Muffin Man<br>Don't eat the yellow snow<br>My guitar wants to kill your mamma<br>Bobbie Brown Goes Down<br>Titties and Beer<br>Dumb all over<br>Dinah mo hum<br>In France<br><br>I really like the songs heavy on the guitar and I also like some just because there funny or really weird.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:21 am 

[quote author=BadMofo666 link=board=albums;num=1086267986;start=0#0 date=06/03/04 at 06:06:26]hello,<br>I currently have Have I Offended Anyone, and Strictly Commercial. There are some songs I like and some I can't stand on both. And Zappa has a shit load of albums so I dont know which one I should get next. Here are the songs I like in order:<br><br>Muffin Man<br>Don't eat the yellow snow<br>My guitar wants to kill your mamma<br>Bobbie Brown Goes Down<br>Titties and Beer<br>Dumb all over<br>Dinah mo hum<br>In France<br><br>I really like the songs heavy on the guitar and I also like some just because there funny or really weird.[/quote]<br><br>Go out and get Hot Rats and Overnite Sensation. These 2 are both loaded with great guitar stuff and ultra killer rock and roll tunes.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:26 am 

[quote author=BadMofo666 link=board=albums;num=1086267986;start=0#0 date=06/03/04 at 06:06:26]hello,<br>I currently have Have I Offended Anyone, and Strictly Commercial. There are some songs I like and some I can't stand on both. And Zappa has a shit load of albums so I dont know which one I should get next. Here are the songs I like in order:<br><br>Muffin Man<br>Don't eat the yellow snow<br>My guitar wants to kill your mamma<br>Bobbie Brown Goes Down<br>Titties and Beer<br>Dumb all over<br>Dinah mo hum<br>In France<br><br>I really like the songs heavy on the guitar and I also like some just because there funny or really weird.[/quote]<br>oh i reckon you'll need a few, you'll eventually like all of them like the rest of us nuts here and make it your life's obsession to collect all things zappa (except for carl's leather jacket) i started off with joe's garage, then next came sheik yerbouti soon after...i'd recommend this start to anyone...almost, maybe a better idea would be getting some of the you can't do that on stage anymore albums, there's 6 of them that cover a lot of his career so these would give you a good insight to his music and varying styles  ;D Hope this helps....if not you could always ask one of the forum gurus for more trancendental guidance

Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Shitface

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:25 am 
Banned

[quote author=BadMofo666 link=board=albums;num=1086267986;start=0#0 date=06/03/04 at 06:06:26]I really like the songs heavy on the guitar....[/quote]<br><br>[sub]Image[/sub]Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar (box set)<br><br>[quote author=BadMofo666 link=board=albums;num=1086267986;start=0#0 date=06/03/04 at 06:06:26]....and I also like some just because there funny....[/quote]<br><br>[sub]Image[/sub]Thing-Fish<br><br>[quote author=BadMofo666 link=board=albums;num=1086267986;start=0#0 date=06/03/04 at 06:06:26]....or really weird.[/quote]<br><br>[sub]Image[/sub]200 Motels soundtrack

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:49 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=albums;num=1086267986;start=0#2 date=06/03/04 at 06:26:11]<br> maybe a better idea would be getting some of the you can't do that on stage anymore albums, there's 6 of them that cover a lot of his career so these would give you a good insight to his music and varying styles  ;D [/quote]<br><br>If you want to go for the You Cant Do That On Stage albums<br>I would recomend you: You Cant Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 3. It got a lot of nice tunes on it, and from what i can understand you are not yet into avant garde experimental Zappa (You will sometime). YCDTOS Vol 3 got more of those "easy" songs and a lot of funny ones.<br><br>Hope this helps you :)

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:27 am 

I like all of his albums...<br>I don't think you can ever go wrong with Joe's Garage...<br>Probably one of the few compact discs that I actually played so much that I wore out...<br><br>but if you are new and want to sample a wider range of his music the larry lalonde jon fishman comps are nice because they'll give you more of an eclectic mix of favorites than strictly commercial etc...<br><br>From what you listed as your favorites...<br>ONE SIZE FITS ALL also sounds like the next logical step... or LATHER...<br><br><br>there are so many different aspects / faces of his music to connect with...<br>many years ago... I first connected with the humor... and snatched up bobby brown, apostrophe, overnite etc...<br>which somehow lead to<br>One size fits all and Zoot Allures...<br>I got hooked on ANDY... <br>which lead me to the Ike Willis phase of my obsession...<br>Joes Garage is masterful...<br>by now I was ready for anything...<br>I own most all of the albums...<br><br>Good luck...<br>and out of curiosity, which tracks do you not like?<br>sometimes you have to listen to them several times before they attach themselves to you and you fall in love with them...<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:20 pm 

Start off with Overnite Sensation and Apostrophe.  They're really good starters.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:23 pm 

[quote author=Ren Höek link=board=albums;num=1086267986;start=0#3 date=06/03/04 at 07:25:18]<br>[sub]Image[/sub]Thing-Fish[/url]<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'm not one of the many Thing-Fish bashers, but DEAR LORD is it not a good choice for a beginner.  That one could easily turn someone off of Frank for life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:32 pm 

yeah, good point...<br>peaches was my first album... I was like 13...<br>and I didn't know who beefheart was... and I didn't appreciate the horns... s, it didn't get much play... it was buried beneath the heavy metal and classic rock until I discovered Apostrophe...<br>apostrophe was the first I connected to as well...<br><br>I took a while for me to grow into the other stuff...<br>thing fish would have scared me away too at that stage...<br><br>That's the amazing thing about FZ for me...<br>If I were going to stranded on a desert island, he'd be my first choice...<br>so much depth and variety... simplicity and complexity...<br><br><br><br>