Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Apostrophe`
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:56 am 

Whaddaya think of this album? Apostrophe was my introduction to Zappa. I don´t know if its my bad english, but could someone explain what actually happens in Father o´blivion? (well, i´ve figured out most of it, but I just want to make sure I was right) ;)

Post subject: Re: Apostrophe`
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:52 am 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=albums&num=1035129396&start=0#1 date=10/20/02 at 11:44:08]<br>Was blending in his crock<br>[/quote]<br><br>Not to be nit-picky, but I always thought that he sang 'resplendent in his frock' and I'm pretty sure I've seen it transcribed that way. Never figured out what it meant anyway.. ;)<br><br>I also don't know what this song is about exactly, but that FZ surely had some kind of obsession with pancakes, with 'Electric Aunt Jemima' and Magdalena's father making 'maple syrup for the pancakes of our land'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:56 am 

<br>[quote author=MrBickford link=board=albums&num=1035129396&start=0#1 date=10/20/02 at 11:44:08]<br><br>Here are the lyrics...<br><br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>uh oh..I didn´t mean I don´t know how the lyrics go. What I really wanna know is what the lyrics mean, you know. Is Father O´blivion wankinkg into his pancakes or something? A leprechaun strokes his **** and.....?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:13 am 

<br>[quote author=Studebaker link=board=albums&num=1035129396&start=0#1 date=10/20/02 at 11:52:30]<br><br><br>Not to be nit-picky, but I always thought that he sang 'resplendent in his frock' and I'm pretty sure I've seen it transcribed that way. Never figured out what it meant anyway.. ;)<br><br>I also don't know what this song is about exactly, but that FZ surely had some kind of obsession with pancakes, with 'Electric Aunt Jemima' and Magdalena's father making 'maple syrup for the pancakes of our land'<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Resplendent in his frock= Looking good in his robe.<br><br>As for the story itself...never made a lot of sense to me either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:45 am 

Nevermind those lyrics, i have the album for years, and i have since long given up trying to figure out what they are about.<br><br>To me, it's the music that counts and on Apostrophe' thats present in all it's glory......<br>What an GREAT album.<br><br>One complain: it should have been twice as long.........

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:43 pm 

Apostrophe is rreally too short. But this was the seventies, without the advantages of the Cd format. My copy on CD has Overnite Senastion on it too. I think it was the first CD issue of the two. And they fit together really well and are almost 70 minutes long then. <br>Apostrophe is a good entrance into the Zappa universe! <br><br>PS: read ben Watson on the St. Alphonzo thing  ;)!<br>Or get some clues out of the Sydnes version on YCDTOSA 6.<br>It´s all about blindness, rubbing/masturbation, holiness, fluffy brown "pancakes"....  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:20 am 

Just for laughs, here's Ben Watson's take on 'Father O'Blivion'. Of course, you should take his explanation with a huge grain of salt:<br><br>"Father O'Blivion is compressed religious satire. While he is 'whipping up the batter/For the pancakes of his flock', a leprechaun (another 'shortperson') strokes his smock, giving him an erection - he tops it off with a 'WOO WOO WOO'. He invites everyone to eat his come: "They're so light 'n fluffy-white / We'll raise a fortune by tonite / They're so light 'n fluffy brown / They're the finest in the town'. <br><br>Sucking cock is a favorite Zappa image for subjective - but being 'fluffy-brown' the pancakes are also faecal. <br><br>"Good morning, your Highness / Ooo-ooo-ooo / I brought you your snow shoe / Ooo-ooo-ooo"<br><br>Alphonzo has made his congregation a servile Fido fetching his footwear. It is a typically Freudian conjuction: the fetish simultaneously consisting of phallus and faeces and foot. Henry James, who unconsciously traced many similar psychological conjuctions, relates the fetish to money. <br><br>"A man of decent feeling didn't thrust his money, a huge lump of it, in such a way, under a poor girl's nose - a girl whose poverty was, after a fashion, the very basis of her enjoyment of his hospitality - without seeing, logically, a responsibility attached." (Henry James, The Golden Bowl, 1904)<br><br>[lot of blah-blah about Henry James scrapped]<br><br>The images of semen and excreta and footwear merely emphasize the fact that Father Vivian O'Blivion is raising a fortune by fleecing his flock. Live performances of the Yellow Snow suite segued into a song called 'Rollo', which explained where the money goes: "To some asshole with a basket / Where it goes we dare not ask it". <br><br>Like Henry James, Zappa is aware that the ultimate fetish is money, because in capitalism it is money that can make anything equal anything else, allowing the exploiters to cream off the surplus.<br><br>--- <br><br>So there you have it folks, Ben Watson's take on 'Father O'Blivion'.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:46 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=albums;num=1035129396;start=0#1 date=10/20/02 at 11:52:30]<br><br>Not to be nit-picky, but I always thought that he sang 'resplendent in his frock' and I'm pretty sure I've seen it transcribed that way. Never figured out what it meant anyway.. ;)<br><br>I also don't know what this song is about exactly, but that FZ surely had some kind of obsession with pancakes, with 'Electric Aunt Jemima' and Magdalena's father making 'maple syrup for the pancakes of our land'[/quote]<br>I always heard it as "resplendent..." too. Aposthrophe is a killer album. Ive got the Zappa Records Cd with OS on it too, gotta buy them seperately.........<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:36 am 

[quote author=Dances link=board=albums;num=1035129396;start=0#3 date=10/21/02 at 07:13:39]Resplendent in his frock= Looking good in his robe.<br><br>As for the story itself...never made a lot of sense to me either. [/quote]<br>Catholic churches will host a Pancake Breakfast as a fund raiser. Sounds like Frank went to one and took a look around. :)<br><br>I read the Ben Watson thing up above. Jee-hee-hee-heezus. ::)<br>If the rest of his book is like that...<br>Come to think of it, I remember browsing through it at a book store when it first came out and I decided I didn't want to buy it. The first Zappa book ever that I didn't buy.<br><br>Anyway, I LOVE Apostrophe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:45 pm 

I just saw I was explaining St. Alfonso when the subject was Father O'Blivion. <br>Don't mind me. I'll put on the appropriate hat myself. Image<br><br>I have been around a lot of paint fumes lately.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:28 pm 

This is from a lyrics site. It sounds just about right to me.<br><<<br> Father O'Blivion<br><br>Get on your feet an' do the funky Alfonzo!<br>Father Vivian O'Blivion <br>Resplendent in his frock <br>Was whipping up the batter <br>For the pancakes of his flock <br>He was looking rather bleary <br>(He forgot to watch the clock) <br>'Cause the night before<br>Behind the door<br>A leprechaun had stroked, yes . . . <br>The night before<br>Behind the door<br>A leprechaun had stroked (he stroked it) . . .<br>The night before <br>Behind the door <br>A leprechaun had stroked . . . his . . . <br>Sma-ah-ah<br>Ah-ah-ah<br>Ah-ah-ah<br>Ah-ah-ah<br>Ah-ah-ah<br>Ah-ah-ah<br>Ahhh (stroked his smock)<br>Which set him off in such a frenzy <br>He sang LOCK AROUND THE CROCK <br>An' he topped it off with a . . . <br>An' he topped it off with a . . .<br>An' he topped it off with a . . .<br>WOO WOO WOO<br>WOO WOO WOO<br>WOO WOO WOO<br>As he stumbled on his ____ (<-- sounds like cock to me)<br>He was delighted as it stiffened <br>And ripped right through his sock <br>Oh, Saint Alfonzo would be proud of me <br>PROUD OF ME<br>He shouted down the block<br>Dominus Vo-bisque 'em <br>Et come spear a tu-tu,<br>Oh! <br>Won't you eat my sleazy pancakes <br>Just for Saintly Alfonzo <br>They're so light 'n fluffy-white<br>We'll raise a fortune by tonite<br>They're so light 'n fluffy-white<br>We'll raise a fortune by tonite<br>They're so light 'n fluffy-brown<br>They're the finest in the town<br>They're so light 'n fluffy-brown<br>They're the finest in the town<br>Good morning, your Highness <br>Ooo-ooo-ooo <br>I brought you your snow shoes<br>Ooo-ooo-ooo <br>Good morning, your Highness <br>Ooo-ooo-ooo <br>I brought you your snow shoes <br> Co. Frank Zappa Music 1974. >>

Post subject: re: apostrophe [']
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:11 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=albums;num=1035129396;start=0#11 date=06/06/04 at 15:45:36]I just saw I was explaining St. Alfonso when the subject was Father O'Blivion. <br>Don't mind me. I'll put on the appropriate hat myself. Image<br><br>I have been around a lot of paint fumes lately.[/quote]<br><br>the 2 tracks are essentially one...  c.c. between st. alf. & father o. & they segue seamlessly...even so, stay away from those volatile organic compounds, dude<br><br>watson's c::)mmentary on farther o'blivion [an officially unreleased number including themes from cucamonga, greggary peccary & the entire be-bop tango theme - often confused with the completely different father o'blivion] is especially wacked, even for him, but entertaining nonetheless

Post subject: Re: apostrophe [']
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:46 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=albums;num=1035129396;start=0#13 date=06/06/04 at 21:11:43]the 2 tracks are essentially one...  c.c. between st. alf. & father o. & they segue seamlessly...even so, stay away from those volatile organic compounds, dude[/quote]<br>Agreed. And the house is looking[glow=red,2,300]good[/glow]<br>Hmmm...why is the glow word not in line with the rest of the sentence? :-/<br><br>
Quote:
watson's c::)mmentary on farther o'blivion [an officially unreleased number including themes from cucamonga, greggary peccary & the entire be-bop tango theme - often confused with the completely different father o'blivion] is especially wacked, even for him, but entertaining nonetheless
<br>And agreed. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:57 am 

[quote author=zliq link=board=albums;num=1035129396;start=0#7 date=10/22/02 at 02:43:08]Apostrophe is rreally too short. But this was the seventies, without the advantages of the Cd format. [/quote]<br><br>Actually, I think that the length of CDs is somewhat of a double-edged sword.  Sure, in theory, I like the idea of more music being put on one disc.  After all, more is better, right?  However, I think that a lot of new bands make the poor decision to fill up all 70 or 80 minutes of a CD, creating a whole lot of filler.  I know that I can easily skip past filler songs, but I think it's unfortunate for a great 30 minute album to get lost in 30 other minutes of mediocre filler.