Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Keep It Greasey
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:49 am 

I love this track, but can someone tell me, is the track played completely by the band or is there some sampling or any other kind of added technology on the track? <br>If what I hear is pure musicianship then I am in serious awe. That is one killer of a track.

Post subject: Re: Keep It Greasey
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:18 pm 

The time signature is amazing. I play drums and I could only dream of keeping that drum line going. It's amazing.<br>Zappa, what a man, what a band!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:16 am 

To be honest I've not tried to play it, it just sounds so technical that I've not even bothered. But I'll give it a go given your advice, thanks. <br>After hearing it for the first time I just thought wow, that is some track. But I guess that sometimes it's the easiest tracks that sound the most technical, until you break them down, and then you realise the simplicity of it all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:26 am 

A great song, yes. <br>The guitar solo form the JG version is released on Guitar, it wasa solo from Outside Now. That`s weird, too I think.<br>But for those of you who like to play it, just try the more easy versions on Stage 3 and - of course - the early one on OZ! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:45 am 

<br>[quote author=Billy The Mountain link=board=albums&num=1034606952&start=0#5 date=10/15/02 at 03:20:21]<br><br><br>The verse is quite easily to play really. Vinnie seems to have subdivided the first verse 4/4 and 3/16. So all you have to do is play a bar of 4/4 followed by 3 16th notes... <br><br>19/16 | 1 2 3 4 5e+ :|<br><br>Easy! After playing it for a while you get used to it and can start variating it.<br><br>NP : 'Keep It Greasey' by Frank Zappa<br><br>-BTM<br>[/quote]<br><br>May be easy for you man, but the rest of us monkeys gotta practice...!  Anyway, FZ music is the best tool for improving your chops, hands down.<br><br>by the way, MTH - keep posting them charts bro - you are saving me years of work here!   :D<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:08 am 

Its is incredible. Vinnie Colauita is the man. Incidentally, he is doing the new MEGADETH album!!! Gonna rush out and buy it, anyone?

Post subject: re: keep it greasey
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:44 am 

[quote author=Gojira1975 link=board=albums;num=1034606952;start=0#10 date=06/08/04 at 11:08:53]....Vinnie Colauita is the man....[/quote]<br>this is probably the track that demonstrates beyond a doubt that vinnie was the top drummer of all fz's drummers...always thought this was sped-up on the lp, but after listening to a few boot shows, it's pure vinnie, no special effects....frank seemed to do 2 versions of this track, one much faster tempo than the other....the dallas '80 version is my fav (fast version), the 78 poughkeepsie & montreal shows are almost as good (slower version) ...not saying logeman is a slacker, but there's a big difference between the early '80 & late '80 shows...same with the solos, frank seems to open up on the slower versions<br><br>btw: even though i can't really understand all the musician mumbo-jumbo, i find it fascinating to actually read the analysis of frank's music by other musicians<br><br>p.s. gojira1975: keep dredging up these lost threads Image