Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Zoot Allures
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:26 am 

Yeah, it's good. Great songs like BN and the title track (though, its not my fav solo for this song, but has buetiful progressions).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:35 am 

Frank's most rock oriented album in my opinion! The mastering of the CD is suspect though..I don't know how everyone feels about it,but I think this would benefit from a good remastering/upgrade (ala Tinseltown Rebellion).<br><br>That aside, I've always enjoyed this album..One of my top ten Zappa albums' for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:44 am 

This record is great.  Alot of people tend to shit on stuff like "Wonderful Wino" and "Ms. Pinky" because it's so "plain" for Frank, but really it just shows you that Frank could do down and dirty rock n' roll as good as anyone else. Not to mention "Black Napkins" is the best thing ever.  :P

Post subject: re: zoot allures
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 am 

yea, definately an under-rated fz album imo....not to flog a dead horsie, but i still can't believe zoot allures got knocked out of the 1[sup]st[/sup] round of the fav fz albums thread with monsters like zoot, torture, blapkins & fr. little finger<br>(like, wtf is wrong with you people [sub]  ;D [/sub])<br>[hr]<br>[quote author=Cucachunga link=board=albums;num=1081786344;start=0#3 date=04/12/04 at 10:25:50].... (Isn't there a full version of Frank's solo on Zoot Allures floating around somewhere?)...[/quote]<br>plenty of zoot versions out there, i still like the original version because the ending is fucking stellar; some awesome zoot solos out there in various live versions, which generally cut out right after the solo...gives the audience a chance to digest the solo and gives frank a chance to introduce the band like on the dhbim dvd, which has gots to be [s]one of (if not)[/s] the choicest fz solo on video i've ever seen<br><br>catch the 11-dec-81 santa monica show opener if you can  8)<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:20 am 

This was among some of the first FZ albums I heard, and its great. I love the sound of the Zoot, very bassy, very unique. I think possibly the best version of The Torture......too, ok, I know its the original, but nonetheless. The only one coming close for me would be the 88 band, on The Best Band.........Zoot Allures is a wonderful (wino) album.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:48 pm 

I'm not as crazy about "Wonderful Wino" and "Ms. Pinky" as I used to be, but I still love the rest of it.  I think those versions of "Black Napkins" and "Zoot Allures" are still the best.  That version of "Zoot" in particular is so perfect.  I just wish the electric solo at the end went on for another 30 minutes or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:45 am 

I love Zoot Allures -  its a (for FZ) straight ahead rock album , and its great to hear Frank play bass on a couple of tracks - Gas Station is amazing as is Zoot & Black Napkins and The Torture is a masterpiece of studio work - love his guitar sound on that track . <br>      Only duff track for me is Find Her Finer -  but overall one of FZ's best rock albums  . Great cover too .