Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:53 pm 

I know, I know, here we go again...<br><br>On a scale of 1-10, which FZ album(s) would you rate as "A Perfect 10"?<br><br>My perfect 10's:   <br><br>Uncle Meat  (original album version)<br>Hot Rats<br>One Size Fits All<br>                            <br>

>You don't.

Post subject: Re: A Perfect "10"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:42 am 

For me there are a lot of Perfect 10 Albums, here for example und at the moment (it changes)<br><br>On LP: <br>Roxy + Elsewhere<br><br>On Cd:<br>"The best band you never heard in your life"<br>At my home I hear only LPs but this CD is for sure the best record and the best Live performance he ever made. For me 10++ ;)<br><br>Norman<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:08 pm 

Today it is Wakajawaka.......but tomorrow,that could very well change

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:20 am 

this is a hard one to play:<br><br>roxy<br>yellow shark<br>WOIIFTM<br>broadway<br>apostrophe<br>wazoo<br><br>and maybe a bunch of others.<br><br>-----<br><br>Add Civlization phase III as well. Finally got my way into it last night, and found out it is brilliant. Last quote by the pianopeople on disc2. Aaaaarrrrggghhhhhhhhh. I am in awe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:10 am 

Hi, its me, remenbered when your peter turned green. Anyhow, if the perfect "10" means that all music, sound, words, solos on all tracks of the album is perfect. Roxy and elsewhere should be take as one of it. But for the moment nothing but OZ can be in my mind since it is still not available in France. Moreover, 1976 tour was for me the first time I saw Frank in concert and I remember there was a lot of long improvisations on some song like Chunga's revenge, Black Napkins, Dinah moe hum, .... Could some one tell me more about the OZ release waiting for the french delivery?<br><br>Thanks mother people

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:11 am 

[quote author=French_poodle link=board=albums;num=1038286394;start=0#6 date=11/27/02 at 08:10:58]But for the moment nothing but OZ can be in my mind since it is still not available in France. Moreover, 1976 tour was for me the first time I saw Frank in concert and I remember there was a lot of long improvisations on some song like Chunga's revenge, Black Napkins, Dinah moe hum, .... Could some one tell me more about the OZ release waiting for the french delivery?[/quote]<br>It probably won't be available, maybe in the distant future. There isn't good distribution of the ZFT in Europe. Nowhere in fact I guess.<br>You have to get it via Barko-Swiffmill or G&S music in England - you'll have to get a credit card and pay in $ or £. You'll have to pay postage, etc.<br>Nevertheless, it's worth it. Great album.<br><br>And please, go sing this thread, it's about this very fucking distribution shit:<br>http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1037976572<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 5:26 am 

The perfect "10" again:<br><br>Roxy - definitely<br>OSFA<br>Weasels Ripped My Flesh - really one of my all time favs.<br>Yellow Shark<br>Joes Garage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:15 am 

It's easier to list which ARE NOT a perfect 10<br><br>Beat the Boots series  <br>Jazz From Hell<br>Broadway the Hard Way<br>Crusing with Ruben and the Jets (Remix) [Vinyl is a "10"]<br>Francesco Zappa<br><br>yeah, that's about it.......<br><br>All of the rest are perfect 10's

l)
l

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:53 am 

[quote author=Roger_Daltrys_Cape link=board=albums;num=1038286394;start=0#9 date=11/29/02 at 07:15:12]It's easier to list which ARE NOT a perfect 10<br>...<br>Broadway the Hard Way<br>...<br>[/quote]<br>Interesting. imo, broadway is a 10+. I was wandering why exactly you don't like it that much so that it is up there with indeed minor albums in your list (exept for Jazz from Hell, imo, but I can understand why you don't like it - it's a hard one to play...) Not to lecture you or something, I'm just interested in other opinions. <br>  <br>;)<br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:08 am 

[quote author=bb link=board=albums;num=1038286394;start=0#11 date=11/29/02 at 08:53:06]<br>Interesting. imo, broadway is a 10+. I was wandering why exactly you don't like it that much so that it is up there with indeed minor albums in your list (exept for Jazz from Hell, imo, but I can understand why you don't like it - it's a hard one to play...) Not to lecture you or something, I'm just interested in other opinions. <br>  <br>;)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Nothing against the '88 band <br>(Make a Jazz Noise and Best Band are Fantastic)<br><br>On Broadway though, after the first 5 tracks there is a big gap for me. I USUALLY skip through Rhymin' Man, Promiscuous, Untouchables, 9,10,11,12,13....<br>until Outside Now (which has always been Ike's shining moment for me, I love EVERY version of this one that there is) and then I listen through the end. <br><br>IMHO , track 6 thru track 13 is the weakest strech of Zappa music ever released.<br>I'd rather hear Beat the Boots! Anytime!<br><br>As for Jazz From Hell, I can't put my finger on it. I just like CPhase3 and Perfect Stranger much more. I don't <br>know, maybe a few more listens will take it off this list.<br><br>BTW--- Beat the Boots only makes this list because of the sound quality- not the performances- I listen to it often!! <br> <br><br> <br><br>

l)
l

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:01 am 

[quote author=Roger_Daltrys_Cape link=board=albums;num=1038286394;start=15#16 date=11/29/02 at 10:08:09]<br>On Broadway though, after the first 5 tracks there is a big gap for me. I USUALLY skip through Rhymin' Man, Promiscuous, Untouchables, 9,10,11,12,13....<br>until Outside Now (which has always been Ike's shining moment for me, I love EVERY version of this one that there is) and then I listen through the end. [/quote]<br>Now that I think of it, you have a point. These tracks are indeed the weakest of the album. I don't skip them anyway, still love'm.<br><br>[quote author=Roger_Daltrys_Cape link=board=albums;num=1038286394;start=15#16 date=11/29/02 at 10:08:09]<br>As for Jazz From Hell, I can't put my finger on it. I just like CPhase3 and Perfect Stranger much more. I don't <br>know, maybe a few more listens will take it off this list.[/quote]<br>Like CP3 also a lot better.  It's a fucking AAAA+++ to me, that's for sure. With Perfect Stranger it is the other way around, I should give it a few more spins I guess.<br><br>[quote author=Roger_Daltrys_Cape link=board=albums;num=1038286394;start=15#16 date=11/29/02 at 10:08:09]Beat the Boots only makes this list because of the sound quality- not the performances- I listen to it often!! [/quote]<br>I still have to complete my BTB collection. got none of the BTB2 albums, and only 5 ones from BTB1.<br>Piqantique is great i think, haven't listend to the others much!<br>In due time I'll drag myself and a friend with visa to e-bay, cause they are hard to get in regular shops it seems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:30 pm 

[quote author=bb link=board=albums;num=1038286394;start=15#18 date=11/29/02 at 13:01:08]<br>I still have to complete my BTB collection. got none of the BTB2 albums, and only 5 ones from BTB1.<br>Piqantique is great i think, haven't listend to the others much!<br>In due time I'll drag myself and a friend with visa to e-bay, cause they are hard to get in regular shops it seems.[/quote]<br><br>I just purchased "The Ark" and "Tis' the season to be Jelly" from e-bay. I have the vinyl boot of Jelly and the sound quality is worse on the c-d. I like that one a lot especially King Kong and No Matter What You Do. ( I always like lots of Ray Collins vocals!)<br>I've had the "ARK" on my computer for a year and I finally got the "official" release. <br><br>Now, Beat the Boots II  --------- If you like Flo and Eddie<br>(and I do) then you are in for a real treat. Disconnected Synapses features F&E on "The Air" and "Brain Police"<br>Sound Quality is very good. Tengo La Minchia Tanta is GREAT -- SQ = vg --  Lots of F&E and not a weak track on it. Ditto for Swiss Cheese/Fire .  "Nirvana" and "Jemima" are nice 60's MOI with good sound quality.<br>"Circus" and "Continuity" are average to OK.<br><br>In a nut shell-  Beat the Boots II is 50% the Flo and Eddie Band , and all 4 cds are solid.

l)
l

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:13 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1038286394;start=15#20 date=11/30/02 at 00:01:11]I can't decide which one I like better: Roxy and Elsewhere or YCDTOSA #2. I mean, they're the same band and Roxy has better sound, but #2 has no overdubs whatsoever. <br><br>That was some impressive performance. George and Ruth were playing absolutely out of their minds, and Frank did one of the greatest solos of his life on Inca Roads; and to think that Napoleon had pneumonia.....<br><br>I guess I'll just lump them together and give it a 20.[/quote]<br><br>I don't think of the Roxy band and the YCDTOSA #2 band as being the same; in fact, Roxy And Elsewhere features two different bands.<br><br>But the predominant band on "Roxy" features Jeff Simmons, Ralph Humphrey and Bruce Fowler, while the YCDTOSA #2 band doesn't. I'm sure you're aware of this, but the exclusion of these three guys caused a major change in Zappa's sound for "#2" and "One Size Fits All" as well.<br><br>I prefer the primary Roxy band to the OSFA band personally.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:11 pm 

Perfect 10's:<br><br>We're Only In It For The Money (original mix)<br>Burnt Weenie Sandwich<br>Hot Rats<br>Just Another Band From LA<br>The Grand Wazoo<br>Waka/Jawaka<br>Overnite Sensation<br>Apostrophe(')<br>Roxy & Elsewhere<br>One Size Fits All<br>Zoot Allures<br>Zappa In New York<br>Sheik Yerbouti<br>Joe's Garage Acts I II & III<br>Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar <br>Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar Some More<br>Return Of The Son Of Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar<br>YCDTOSA Volume Two (Helsinki Concert)<br>Broadway The Hard Way<br>The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life<br>Make A Jazz Noise Here<br><br>

somehow...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:50 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=albums;num=1038286394;start=15#24 date=12/12/02 at 08:07:35]And nowhere else have I seen anyone make mention of "Yellow Shark"! Wowie Zowie! Isn't anyone up for a really fIIIIne performance by a really fIIIIne music ensemble conducted by a truly fIIIIne conductor?! (And I don't even care where you throw your underpants!) ;D<br>-Bat<br>[/quote]<br>Euh, myself & Ronny_N did mention it...<br>Your underpants are welcome anyhow. need some fresh ones.<br><br>------------<br>Maybe I'll even add LSO to my list, I dunno, those 2 discs are getting under my skin as we speak - only discovering them right now. YS & CPIII still remain tops though.