Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:57 am 

Great job, SOWTP...disc one: excellent, a great set...seems to have a good "flow"...disc two:  very good also...hope they have a thick enough skin to handle Bobby Brown...my one personal criticism would be the absence of any OSFA material, but that's just because it's one of my faves...but you can be PROUD! If they don't dig this disc, it's gonna be a tough road...

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:02 am 

I love how you kept the continuity of the Absolutely Free album, IMHO that pretty much sums up the Mothers!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:43 am 

Yes, good job!<br><br>we all welcome the new fan warmly into Zappa`s universe!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:09 pm 

I'm also planning to tape a Zappa-collection for my girlfriend.  You know, the more 'love'-tinted songs...  Which ones should be on it?  (She's not that Zappa-fanatic, it's for getting to know him better.  READ AS: appriciate him more then now)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:17 pm 

In recent years I thought it would be nice if Rykodisc did a really nice box set treatment (say five or six discs, maybe more) of Frank's material showcasing the "best of" all of his many different sides.  At one time or another in the last twenty six years or so I've owned or heard all the commercial releases, but honestly I've listened to so much Zappa music that my favorites are so ingrained in my brain that  I can go weeks without actually hearing him and I don't even have many Zappa titles on my shelf anymore.  I have an insatiable appetite for hearing new things, and since I'm not a millionaire, I'm constantly trading cd's in.  But I definitely still have a big need for a Zappa fix from time to time and a definitive (if there can be such a thing for Frank) box set would really suit me fine.  I think it would also appeal to rock collectors who maybe aren't hardcore FZ fans but would like him well represented in their collection. Wadda ya say, Rykodisc. Yes, there are several single disc collections already out there but even if you slapped them all together I don't think they would do a very good job.  Maybe if Rykodisc polled the fans as to the content of a five disc box set.  When I have some time I'll make a list and post it.  In the mean time I'd like to hear everyone else's suggestions.  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:34 am 

Just curious, did you guys leave spaces between the tunes, or did you do it without spaces? You  know, with really abrupt changes from one tune to another?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:02 am 

[quote author=fragile link=board=albums;num=1041097415;start=0#9 date=01/31/03 at 16:09:34]I'm also planning to tape a Zappa-collection for my girlfriend.  You know, the more 'love'-tinted songs...  Which ones should be on it?  (She's not that Zappa-fanatic, it's for getting to know him better.  READ AS: appriciate him more then now)[/quote]<br><br>I've been thinking of starting a 3d about which FZ songs would have been possibly a hit if played by some trendy group (and with little adjustments of the lyrics here and there:-)). <br>Then I didn't but here are some:<br>How could I be such a fool, Anyway the wind blows, Lonely little girl, Mom and Dad, Sharleena, Camarillo Brillo, Lucille has messed my mind up, Any kind of Pain. <br><br>quote author=palokas link=board=albums;num=1041097415;start=0#13 date=02/05/03 at 02:34:46]Just curious, did you guys leave spaces between the tunes, or did you do it without spaces? You  know, with really abrupt changes from one tune to another?[/quote]<br><br>I tried to edit a tape containing the solos and instrumenta parts that I liked most. Obviously there were interruptions in between songs everywhere so I had to try to join them as a segue. <br>Try it, sometimes it comes out wonderful, the whole thing sounds new even if you know the two songs note by note.<br>