Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Album-collection map
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:24 pm 

Well, maybe it's a preconceived idea but I'm pretty sure that a Zappa fan has got a pretty good music-culture.<br>I know also that quantity isn't the same of quality; but variety could be a good sign of acquired culture.<br><br>So, I've got a collection of 1200 albums - more or less - (including CD, LP and cassette too; 950 are original, the other part is recorded) and I buy/record - more or less - 10/12 new titles every month.<br><br>Best number of albums I have is FZ's (55)<br>Than I've got 25 pink floyd and 20 Bowie.<br>150 albums come from jazz (with a preference for Django Reinhardt and Archie Shepp). <br>70/80 are classical music;<br>300 are italian good music (not the international Ramazzotti of course!!!);<br>100 is world music (specially klezmer, regional italian styles, east-europe and brazil)<br>The rest is rock&blues&reggae&dub&fusion... <br><br>How about your collection?<br> <br>Ciao

Post subject: Re: Album-collection map
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:44 pm 

Not huge. 120 CDs and around 3 records. I have the catholic girls/joe's garage 7" and 20 FZ CDs and the rest is mainly punk/metal type rock. Not that impressive, but I've only had a year and a half to get it all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:52 pm 

[quote author=poncho link=board=albums;num=1046561087;start=0#1 date=03/01/03 at 15:44:43]Not huge. [/quote]<br><br>Me too when I was 17... take your time and thanks for answer.<br><br>Ciao<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:52 pm 

My CD collection is around 500 strong - approximately 50 of which are FZ.  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:10 pm 

I have 201 albums on CD. 61 Zappa. Not huge, but yeah, I've only been listening to decent music for about 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:57 pm 

Little less than 1000 cd´s, (mostly jazz, some rock, some classical, some indian classical and 25 Zappa´s). <br><br>Two and a half meters of vinyls ( rock, metal, hardcore, jazz and 45 Zappa´s).<br><br>A bunch of md´s and some cassettes.<br><br><br>Mental was right about the moving thing...these things are really a pain in the ass when moving (or a tad above the ass).<br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:40 pm 

[quote author=palokas link=board=albums;num=1046561087;start=0#11 date=03/03/03 at 14:57:11]<br><br>Little less than 1000 cd´s <br>[/quote]<br><br>He counted. He's got 999.<br><br><br>As for me, here's my best guestimate w/the cd's:<br><br>Classical - 150<br>Jazz - 150<br>Rock and Other (as opposed to Rock and Roll) - 350<br>FZ - 38<br><br>I still have a couple three hundred vinyls, including around 25 FZ's, being stored at a remote off-shore location.<br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:56 pm 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=albums;num=1046561087;start=0#12 date=03/04/03 at 19:40:38]<br><br><br><br>I still have a couple three hundred vinyls<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>So, you counted a couple of times? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:15 am 

[quote author=palokas link=board=albums;num=1046561087;start=0#13 date=03/05/03 at 01:56:44]<br><br><br>So, you counted a couple of times? ;)[/quote]<br><br><br>Yes Mr. p, you see everytime I get up around 200, I lose count and gotta go back to the beginning!<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:06 pm 

Approx 400 cd's including 60 FZ , 15 Beatles , 10 Rush , 10 Floyd , 10 Doors , 10 AC/DC , all Radiohead , some Stones , a few Thin Lizzy , several Hendrix ,  various Marley , erm...................

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:29 pm 

i have  1300 + cd's and a few casette and lp's.<br><br>700+  progressive, mostly '70's european (i'm a great fan of italian symphonics)<br><br>200+  fusion (mahavishnu, weather report etc.)<br><br>200+ '70's rock (purple, sabbath, heep, rainbow etc.)<br><br>100+ jazz (davis, coltrane, baker) <br><br>30+ zappa<br><br>and some more stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:53 pm 

[quote author=man-erg link=board=albums;num=1046561087;start=15#16 date=03/06/03 at 00:29:38]700+  progressive, mostly '70's european (i'm a great fan of italian symphonics)<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Wich ones? Are you italian? <br>Se sì, potrei capire<br>If not I'm interested<br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:14 am 

no i'm not italian but i like italian progressive bands very much. my favourites are banco, pfm and osanna but there are lots more that i like. area, il baletto di bronzo, arti + mestieri, alusa fallax, maxaphone, le orme, musea rosenbach, the trip, formula 3, biglietto per l'inferno, alphataurus, raccomondata ricevuta ritorno etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:42 pm 

[quote author=man-erg link=board=albums;num=1046561087;start=15#18 date=03/06/03 at 08:14:06]no i'm not italian but i like italian progressive bands very much. my favourites are banco, pfm and osanna but there are lots more that i like. area, il baletto di bronzo, arti + mestieri, alusa fallax, maxaphone, le orme, musea rosenbach, the trip, formula 3, biglietto per l'inferno, alphataurus, raccomondata ricevuta ritorno etc. [/quote]<br>As italian, as musician and as music-lover, I think that AREA is the best band we (italians) have never had in our lives! Great original jazz-sound mixed up with middle-eastern melodies, great ideas in rythm and a singer that was absolutely the number one, and not only in Italy... I'm talking about Demetrio Stratos. About the other that you know I think that Banco and Pfm are the best but they are too much linked to the british progressive sound (King Crimson for the PFM and Emerson Lake & Palmer for Banco). I pretty like Le Orme (specially "Uomo di Pezza" and "Collage") and The trip. The other that you mean... well I really don't like, anyway is a question of personal taste. Have you ever listened to Stormy Six? They were very interesting!!<br><br>Ciao<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:36 am 

i have 3 area albums, all up to crac! their music is very unique as you mentioned.  also stratos is in my top 10 singers. i like this kind of singers who can feel and make you feel. i'm a big peter hammill fan. technically there's a little similarity between hammill and stratos but the way they make me feel is very close. <br>i heard l'aprendista by stormy six which i think has a rio sound. stormy six is already in my list of worth exploring bands.<br>mizzu i don't know if you are into symphonics but imho there a re lots of obscure italian symphonic gems waiting to be explored.  i have 70+ italian symphonic albums and there are only 1 or 2 albums that i didn't like or maybe couldn't get into yet.<br>musea rosenbach's zaratustra, il baletti di bronzo's ys and osanna's palepoli can easily be my nominees for best italian albums ever recorded.<br><br>cheers  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:02 am 

[quote author=man-erg link=board=albums;num=1046561087;start=15#20 date=03/08/03 at 02:36:32]i have 3 area albums, all up to crac! their music is very unique as you mentioned.  also stratos is in my top 10 singers. i like this kind of singers who can feel and make you feel. i'm a big peter hammill fan. technically there's a little similarity between hammill and stratos but the way they make me feel is very close. <br><br>cheers  [/quote]<br><br>Have you ever listened to "1978: gli dei se ne vanno, gli arrabbiati restano"? This is last AREA album with Stratos and is very interesting.<br>Another question: have you ever listened to the Stratos' solo albums? He did some experimental records, on his own and with Lucio Fabbri (PFM's violin and my fellow-citizen)... they are interesting 'cause he uses his voice like a real instrument.<br><br>About Osanna and Balletto di Bronzo well, maybe for you, that are not italian, there are some things of their music that you feel interesting. I think is like me, when I listen to popular Indian music and I get crazy but a boy coming from Bombay could find it boring... anyway I'm happy about this smal chat with you; you told me thing that I never imagined.<br><br>Ciao<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:42 am 

I have about 2000. All Fzs, apart from JC and Oz, EIHN on its way.........52 Miles Davis, 42 Kiss, 36 Yes, 20 John Zorn........The rest consist of Jazz ( Coleman, Monk, Mingus, Dolphy, Coltrane, Bialey etc ), classic old school Rock / Metal like Maiden, Cinderella, Priest, Frost, Motorhead, Crue, etc......Improvisation and what some would call " alternative " stuff, like Derek Bailey, Ruins, Melt Banana, Otomo Yoshihide etc, to "normal" stuff like Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Peter Gabriel, etc etc.........Growing more and more Im pleased to add......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:09 am 

I have over 200 CD, over 200 cassettes, and about 100 records, including 45s.<br><br>Most of my CDs are in a 200 disc changer.  About 50 of them are Zappa.  There's alot of James Brown, Primus, Pink Floyd, Dead Milkmen, Iron Maiden.<br><br>Most of my cassettes are old metal and "alternative" with the exception of a Neil Diamond's greatest hits tape.  I have one Zappa cassette.  Lost Episodes<br><br>Most of my records are 60's and 70's stuff that I normally wouldn't buy on CD, like Fleetwood Mac.  I have about 12 Zappa records.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:42 pm 

Only the cds... not counting the cassetes and Vynils:<br><br>Pretty much all Zappa albums<br><br>All Pink Floyd<br><br>Tons of Rush, Yes, King Crimson, ELP &Mahavishnu<br><br>Lots of Brazilian Masters like<br><br>Hermeto Pascoal<br><br>Egberto Gismonti<br><br>Os Mutantes (Brazilian band from the 60s which influenced Kurt Cobain)<br><br>All sorts of Jazz albums with strong bias towards Miles Davis and John Coltrane...<br><br>Just a few classical albums like Holst, Mussorsky, Ravel, Strawinsky...<br> :P<br>