Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Most offensive FZ song?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:25 am 

I am not easily offended myself and I guess most of you aren't either (or else you probably wouldn't be an FZ fan) but I was wondering: <br><br>What Zappa song do you consider to be the most offensive one? It doesn't necessarily have to offend yourself but you know, the one you're not going to play when other people are around.. ;)<br><br>I'll post my own thoughts about this later on, but first I'd really like to hear what you think...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:12 am 

<br>[quote author=Studebaker link=board=albums&num=1035041136&start=0#0 date=10/19/02 at 07:25:36]<br>I am not easily offended myself and I guess most of you aren't either (or else you probably wouldn't be an FZ fan) but I was wondering: <br><br>What Zappa song do you consider to be the most offensive one? It doesn't necessarily have to offend yourself but you know, the one you're not going to play when other people are around.. ;)<br><br>I'll post my own thoughts about this later on, but first I'd really like to hear what you think...<br>[/quote]<br><br>I would have to say it's a tie between Bobby Brown and much of the Live At The Fillmore album.  I dunno, though, Joe's Garage has some wicked moments (e.g. Sy Borg)...<br><br>The songs don't offend me exactly, but yes they are ones that I do not expect to fly too well with folks who are not familiar with FZ.  Sometimes the sex angle that Frank presents is a bit much for my modest, demure psyche.  Maybe I could be a rock star too?  Then I'd fully appreciate the depiction of the women in a number of these songs... but until then I still enjoy those tunes with a sense of pure absurdity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:39 am 

Dinah-moe humm is quite..daring  :D but still great. some of his 80´s stuff is funny (he´s so gay) but musically it´s not so great as the older stuff IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:10 am 

Me, I think the 'Illinois Enema Bandit' was the most offensive song FZ ever wrote. As you probably all know, the song was based on a series of real events in the mid-70's. Now, writing a song that makes fun of a guy who robs his victims and gives them an enema is kind of tasteless, but the worst part of this song is that FZ suggests that the female victims actually asked for it or enjoyed it ("it must be just what they all need.") I think that's kind of disgusting, actually. <br><br>Still like the actual music of the song, though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:51 pm 

I always assumed that what Zappa meant by that line was that that was what the Enema Bandit himself was using as his defense, that these women needed it and were asking for it. I don't think Zappa was himself saying that they were asking for it. It's more of an observation, isn't it? At least that's what I took it to mean

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:37 am 

Yeah, I gave the whole 'Enema bandit' thing some more thought.. <br><br>It's true that it is the bandit himself who says that 'it must be just what they all need' in the song, but still.. I think it's a bit unnecessary to portrait the victims saying 'let the fiend go free' and stuff.. That's probably not what they said when it really happened and I think the song would have been better if he had left out that whole courtroom scene. <br><br>But it's such a bizarre tale, I can see why it inspired FZ to write a song about it, and I'm not trying to push my own moral judgement on other listeners here.. if you think the song is funny, that's cool too.<br><br>I read in Ben Watson's book that Michael Kenyon actually had a list of potential enema victims and that Richard Nixon was on top of the list 'because he was so full of shit'. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:58 am 

Although I can't say that I personally find this song offensive, my vote would go to "Broken Hearts Are For Assholes". I know this song could possibly offensive to some folks. I do know that when I put the "Ram it up your poopshoot" sequence on my wife's answering machine, it was met with some pretty harsh reviews from my inlaws-LOL.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:04 am 

Wow, would you believe that I had never noticed that before? You're right, he clearly states that the second part 'has been fictionalized as well as the final philosophical conclusion'. Thanks MrBickford :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:01 pm 

<br>[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=albums&num=1035041136&start=0#14 date=10/20/02 at 08:19:46]<br>Most of his women and gay bashing lyrics. For me, these are not the songs that I get that special Zappa feeling for (I tend to go for the instrumentals most). All his rationalizations about why these kind of lyrics are fine were stupid, like his interviews where he said he was an "equal opportunity" lyricist when it came to stupid people. At least he wasn't racist......<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'm curious - what women and gay bashing lyrics in particular are you not fond of and why?  I'm just trying to get an understanding why folks think Frank had animosity towards women and/or gays.  I just don't see it.  Anyone holding these views, please post.<br><br>I think the one group of people that may have a legitimate reason for being offended would be televangelists.   But then again, if Frank speaks the truth, how can that be offensive?   ;D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:15 pm 

Suicide Chump.... Maybe ?<br><br>Magdalena, is a little intense for some people I know.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:40 am 

Sexual Harrassment In The Workplace <br><br>and<br><br>I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth<br><br><br>OK, so they don't have lyrics, who cares ???<br>I love the fact that Frank gave his INSTRUMENTALS titles like that.................way to go Frank !!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:59 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=albums&num=1035041136&start=15#21 date=10/21/02 at 15:32:21]<br><br>...I guess his sexism and gay bashing are more frequent and obvious. It seems to me that any FZ fan who feels stongly about supporting women's rights, gay rights, and people of color has a decision to make...<br>[/quote]<br><br>Again, what is obvious?  What  has Frank said that makes him a "gay basher?"   Was Frank really a sexist, gay bashing, racist?  Was Ike Willis aware of this?  Do his children know? What "decision" must I make as a FZ fan and a supporter of "people of color?"  Hmm, why don't we all take a few moments to visit some of the hate speech sites out there and find out what real sexism, gay bashing, and racism is all about.  It may help you put things in perspective.<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:21 pm 

Since I live in Germnany I can play out every offensive song out the window and nobody would be harmed or offended - at least not by the words ;)<br>But I feel the most offending ones have been mentioned above, like Proncess, Broken Hearts, Briefcase Boogie... I think Stick It Out in the context of Joes Garage is suitable and just a bit disgusting to non-Zappaphiles. People would ask: why should someone sing such a shit? It`s childish!<br>In the original context Stick It Out was in the Sofa-Suite in 1971. It´s bootlegged only, and in this context the song to be sung by God`s girlfreind who fucked a magical pig on the sofa! I mean, I can lough aout it, but even the most open-minded christian would feel offended by a story where God is the director/voyeur of a sexual act including his GIRLFRIEND and a PIG! I mean seriously.... maybe thet`s why FZ left this out from the official releases.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:30 am 

<br>[quote author=Mattie_Told_Hattie link=board=albums&num=1035041136&start=15#25 date=10/22/02 at 01:02:40]<br><br><br>What about FZ fans who support the AFL-CIO? What about Catholics? Republicans? Jewish Princesses? Gas station employees? Female San Fernando Valley teenagers? Truckers? Fundamentalist Christians? Fundamentalist Muslims? New Wave Bands? Hippies? Germans? French people? English people? American military personnel? Drug addicts? Glue sniffers? Winos? Male heterosexuals who sell their souls for titties and beer? Pimps? Parents? Music critics? Rednecks? Groupies? Cowboys? Witches? S&M aficionados? Male utilizers of rubber dolls for sexual gratification? Disco denizens? Punk rockers? People who kill themselves? The health-conscious? Baseball fans? Advertisers? Marketers? Yuppies? Guys who like to sniff female undergarments? People who idolize the '60s?<br><br>People who support the rights of each of these demographics also have decisions to make regarding FZ, no?<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Hey Mattie, you are well up on your way to reach the magic 1000 posts...............<br>If you do, do you win anything ????<br>A minute worth of FREE shopping in Frank's Vault's perhaps ???