Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Led Zeppelin Riffs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:40 pm 

Hi Everybody,<br>I have a doubt about some riffs from the Läther album:<br>Are the riffs from the "Lather Goods" track deliberated quotes of Led Zeppelin's "Dazed and Confused" and "Whole Lotta Love" songs? ???

Post subject: Re: Led Zeppelin Riffs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:25 pm 

The original title for Tinseltown Rebellion was Fred Zapplin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:59 am 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=albums;num=1036294843;start=0#4 date=11/04/02 at 12:12:40]<br>Yes, and during "Duck Duck Goose," you can hear the riff from "Whole Lotta Love" for quite a while.<br><br><br>CF<br>[/quote]<br><br>YEs... But it si played with SO MUCH more energy...<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:04 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1036294843;start=0#6 date=11/04/02 at 20:08:30]<br>I think it's more likely that Frank got the riff from the same place that Led Zeppelin stole much of their early material...... Willie Dixon. Most likely, though, it came from a combination of sources.[/quote]<br><br><br>Yes... I think that is more likely, since NOBODY actually came with a complete history of FZ quoting those riffs, but still the "Whole Lotta Love" sections on the Läther album are too similar to be a coincidence and don't sound that blusy to me, its more a hard-rock phrase...<br>ARF!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:48 am 

it was probably a homage to Jimmy Page: the most talented unoriginal guitarist of all-time (that I know of). <br>Also, the Stairway to Heaven opening riff rips off some other group's riff or something like that. The other group's name escapes me, anyone wanna help me out?  :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 4:15 pm 

"Jimmy Page: the most talented unoriginal guitarist of all-time (that I know of)."<br><br>You're joking right ?! Page plus the likes of Clapton,Beck,Jimi & (Turn your Peter)Green are the reason why so many people picked the guitar up in the 60's.You can't really be serious thinking he's made a name for himself by only playing a repetative pentatonic scale for over 30 years can you?<br> :-/  <br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:13 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=albums;num=1036294843;start=15#15 date=12/25/02 at 21:09:56]I always think of Page as an ok guitar player who valued the use of a good riff. But I think he was a much more interesting and interestingly quirky song writer than guitarist. Jeff Beck, conversely, couldn't write a song to save his life, but is an unbelievable guitar player to this day.[/quote]<br>I agree on the Jeff Beck statement. I would have said that Page is really overrated.<br>I heard Beck on the Roger Waters' album 'Amused to death' and it blew me how this guy can be original.  8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:57 am 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=albums;num=1036294843;start=15#17 date=12/26/02 at 08:30:53]<br>I'd go as far as to say that Zeppelin are UNDERrated, because the same four songs that everyone knows (and rips off) detract from their other accomplishments. We forget how eclectic they actually were, probably in part because other bands have made whole careers out of lifting from one single Zeppelin song apiece.<br><br>I'm pretty sure the Page riffs on Lather are intentional. Remember, there were other guys playing in Frank's band. If they were to pull out a well-known Zeppelin riff, Frank would probably decide to do something with it on tape because of the humor value in suddenly breaking into some well-known hard rock repetition.<br><br><br>CF[/quote]<br><br>Absolutely I believe this.  It's just Patrick O'Hearn playing the riff with FZ soloing over it, first of all.  FZ seemed to enjoy letting moments like that happen, especially with the 84 and 88 bands (there was that 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' deal on Bamboozled, the nutty covers in 88 etc.)  I'll bet FZ liked the riff for Whole Lotta Love, and dug soloing to it.  It's inscrutable as a classic rock motif - it is possibly THE fundamental heavy rock guitar riff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:33 am 

[quote author=Brainfang link=board=albums;num=1036294843;start=15#18 date=12/26/02 at 09:57:35]<br><br>Absolutely I believe this.  It's just Patrick O'Hearn playing the riff with FZ soloing over it, first of all. [/quote]<br><br><br>I think it was Roy Estrada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:59 pm 

[quote author=Brainfang link=board=albums;num=1036294843;start=15#18 date=12/26/02 at 09:57:35]<br><br>Absolutely I believe this.  It's just Patrick O'Hearn playing the riff with FZ soloing over it, first of all.  FZ seemed to enjoy letting moments like that happen, especially with the 84 and 88 bands (there was that 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' deal on Bamboozled, the nutty covers in 88 etc.)  I'll bet FZ liked the riff for Whole Lotta Love, and dug soloing to it.  It's inscrutable as a classic rock motif - it is possibly THE fundamental heavy rock guitar riff.[/quote]<br><br>Crazy as this may sound, I believe these "cover moments" can be partially attributed to the Charles Ives influence in FZ's music; for example the medley that occurs during Big Swifty on Jazz Noise Here which culminates with a bit of the 1812 Overture.  Ives did this kind of thing all the time in his orchestral works, suddenly breaking into known folk songs, royal marches, or a popular tune of the day, sometimes simultaneously...<br><br>As for Whole Lotta Love, think about it:  Page took a standard five note blues riff (an example of which can be heard as the opening statement in the Allman's Statesboro Blues), changed the placement of the accents, and virtually created a new genre!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:18 am 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=albums;num=1036294843;start=0#5 date=11/04/02 at 12:17:21]I only have one Zep album so i'm not an expert but Bamboolzed By Love from TR sounds like some Zep. riff...[/quote]<br><br>I always used to think it sounded a bit like Dave Gilmour's riff in Floyd's "Money" - I always used to mix them up whilst trying to become so guitar god (never gonna happen)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:12 pm 

excellent acoustic version of black dog!! [sub]Image[/sub]<br><br>caution: 2.3 meg mp3 takes less than a minute

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:50 pm 

Jeff Beck wrote some fabulous songs. But he wrote even better when he collborated with other musicians. He is my second favourite electric guitarist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:39 am 

[quote author=Son_of_SomeKCheese link=board=albums;num=1036294843;start=0#10 date=12/25/02 at 12:48:33]it was probably a homage to Jimmy Page: the most talented unoriginal guitarist of all-time (that I know of). <br>Also, the Stairway to Heaven opening riff rips off some other group's riff or something like that. The other group's name escapes me, anyone wanna help me out?  :D[/quote]<br><br>I believe it was a band called Spirit who had Randy California on guitar. 8) Cant remember the name of the song tho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:05 pm 

I always took Duck Duck Goose as an attack on Jimi - Estrada (I believe on vocals) stating that this is for the guy who stole from me and what are you going to do when the well runs dry (paraphrased - I don't remember the exact wording).  It also was not lost on me that Jimi's tone on the early Zep albums sounds directly ripped-off from Hot Rats.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:01 pm 

[quote author=jc359 link=board=albums;num=1036294843;start=15#22 date=03/12/04 at 15:05:11]It also was not lost on me that Jimi's tone on the early Zep albums sounds directly ripped-off from Hot Rats.[/quote]<br>Zep's first album came out 9 months before Hot Rats, and Zep II came out just one week after HR, so that 's highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:16 pm 

I just love when those almost 2 yrs old topics just pop up all the way in the charts... ;D