Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: jeff beck's fluid...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:11 am 

Can anyone help me there?<br>I'm trying to figure out the meaning of some kind of private joke in Zappa in New York.<br>What do y'all think Mr. Z means by "he's more fluid than Jeff Beck"?. Is he laughing at Jeff's guitar playing? Is he talking about his body fluids? ("he can hold more fluids than Jeff Beck") What's the story behind it? ??? ???<br>Thanks<br><br>

Post subject: Re: jeff beck's fluid...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:18 am 

Calling someone a fluid guitarist is a compliment (meaning the way they just make the notes 'flow', one after another) and Terry said that about Punky....then later Frank made a joke by saying something about Punky "containing more fluid than Jeff Beck"...just a joke, nothing more.<br><br>I read in an interview where Frank was asked what he thought about a lot of guitar players, and when Jeff's name came up Frank said "Jeff Beck is one of my favorite guitarists on the planet".  So, Frank liked Jeff's playing very much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:53 pm 

Thanks, zombywoof5050. That's what I thought but I wondered if there could be some obscure story behind all that fluid thang ;)<br>Besides, I kinda freaked out w/ MentalTossFlycoon's answer :o<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:13 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=albums;num=1088503863;start=0#4 date=06/30/04 at 04:11:19]<br><br>Sorry, Virgin(ia), er...register that is, but the "fluid" references were to comparative volumes of "cum" ("semen", "jizz", "jism", "jam", "spunk", "spoo","spooge", etc., etc.; I gotta stop somewhere!). So "just leave your pickle alone for a couple of nights" and you'll see! ;D<br><br>--Bat ;)[/quote]<br><br>True, when Frank said the line "contained more fluid than Jeff Beck", it was definitely a reference to how much jizz he had.  But it was a 'play on words' (so to speak) about the line that Terry originally spoke about Punky being "more fluid than Jeff Beck" (which wasn't about jizz but was about the 'fluidity' of Punky's guitar playing).  If you didn't hear Terry say that first, then you might be confused when you heard what Frank said later.<br>Does that make sense?  <br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:04 am 

Does that make sense?   <br>Sure it makes sense.<br>I just felt curious about why would Frank pick Jeff Beck precisely, but I see it's a joke he could've made on any "guitar hero".<br>This song is so funny and cruel. You listen to it and you just know what kind of group he's talking about. How the hell did Frank get Angel's permission to use their name? ??? Man, poor guys.<br>Terry Bozzio is awesome in this song ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:51 pm 

[quote author=zombywoof5050 link=board=albums;num=1088503863;start=0#5 date=06/30/04 at 07:13:59]<br><br>But it was a 'play on words' (so to speak) about the line that Terry originally spoke about Punky being "more fluid than Jeff Beck" (which wasn't about jizz but was about the 'fluidity' of Punky's guitar playing).  If you didn't hear Terry say that first, then you might be confused when you heard what Frank said later.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Not exactly...<br><br>The line Terry sings in 'Punky's Whips' is "He's more fluid than Jeff Beck."<br><br>This is already a play on words... a double entendre.<br><br>As the dog said, "The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe."<br><br>"He's", in this context, can be taken as either "he is" or "he has".<br><br>Frank was merely pointing out the play on words when he said, "Ever since that guy told you that he contained more fluid than Jeff Beck you've been tryin' to outdo him."<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:02 pm 

[quote author=register link=board=albums;num=1088503863;start=0#6 date=06/30/04 at 08:04:10]I just felt curious about why would Frank pick Jeff Beck precisely, but I see it's a joke he could've made on any "guitar hero".[/quote]<br><br><br>Conceptual continuity.<br><br>From 'Magic Fingers' off the 200 Motels soundtrack:<br><br>"Well, there are a lot of reasons why I'd . . . I'd drag a girl such as yourself back to this . . . plastic hotel room and . . . rip you off for spare change to run a . . . to run a vibrating machine attached to this queen-size, bulk-purchase, kapok-infested, do-not-remove-tag-under-penalty-of-law type bed and . . . and make you take off all your little clothes . . . until you are nearly STARK RAVING NUDE! (Save for your chrome-with-heavy-duty-leather-thong Peace Medallion, heh . . . ) And make you assume a series of marginally erotic poses involving . . . a plastic chair and . . . an old guitar strap while I . . . did a wee-wee in your hair and . . . beat you with a pair of tennis shoes . . . I got from Jeff Beck "<br>