Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:56 am 

I have ALOT of rehearsal tapes. Mostly of the early 1980 band but also have some late 1978 Vinnie era band too. very cool stuff. I love it all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:21 am 

[quote author=Zardoz link=board=albums;num=1091028287;start=0#3 date=07/28/04 at 09:18:16]Only one I got is the 9 February 1980 UMRK Rehearsal. Thanks to jimmie d.  ;D[/quote]<br><br>yeah that one is very cool.<br><br>9-Feb 1980, UMRK  <br>44 min, B+ <br>Pick Me I'm Clean, Medley: Addams Family/James Bond/My Three Sons/Mongoloid/Rock Lobster/Heart Of Glass/I Love Lucy/My Sharona, Mystery Song #1, Drafted Again, Theme Song/Pop Medley, Drafted Again, I'm A Beautiful Guy (incl My Generation)<br><br>  ==  Frank Zappa's Band Jan - Jul 1980  == <br>FZ, Ike Willis, Ray White, Arthur Barrow, David Logeman, Tommy Mars. <br>Note: Vinnie Colaiuta played drums at the Jan/Feb rehearsals.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:50 am 

i got a few of the umrk rehearsal boots, some are just cuts of tracks the band is trying to play, i like the ones where frank's in a good mood & giving people shit for fucking up....check out the '87 umrk rehearsals with flo & eddie:<br><br>various dates 1987, umrk, los angeles, ca <br>30 min rehearsals with fz, mark volman, howard kaylan<br>blue light<br>strictly genteel<br>magic fingers<br>call any vegetable<br>dog breath<br>wonderful wino<br>ms pinky<br>mom and dad<br>take your clothes off when you dance<br>what's the ugliest part of your body?<br>giraffe<br><br>[sub]Image[/sub]fz rehearsals/demos/etc<br><br>along similar lines, get your ears on some of the pre-concert soundchecks/guitar loops..some go on for close to 2 hours like the 88' springfield soundcheck/rehearsal, zappa is brutal if someone fucks up their part:<br><br>13-mar 1988, civic center, springfield, ma <br>soundcheck/rehearsal: 135 min, aud, b/b- <br>fz tries out tonight's loop<br>assorted song quotes<br>eric dolphy memorial barbecue<br>sofa<br>stevie's spanking<br>my guitar wants to kill your mama/willie the pimp<br>filthy habits<br>jesus thinks you're a jerk monologue (w/ eric buxton)<br>black page #2<br>royal march from l'histoire du soldat<br>disco boy<br>teenage wind<br>truck driver divorce<br>advance romance<br>you are what you is<br>mudd club<br>i'm the slime<br>fz guitar workout & loops<br>stolen moments<br>theme from the untouchables<br>marqueson's chicken<br>zomby woof<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:30 pm 

8-Feb 1979, London Rehearsals<br>60 min, SBD, B (some better than others!)<br>Easy Meat, Twenty-One (evolved version), I'm A Beautiful Guy, Mystery Rehearsal Piece, Twenty-One, Conehead, Twenty-One, City Of Tiny Lights, Inca Roads, Florentine Pogen, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, Packard Goose, Dead Girls Of London.<br><br>UMRK Rehearsal 16 Aug 78 Culver City, LA<br>Sound quality: SBD B<br>Dancin' Fool, Honey, Don't You Want a Man Like Me? Keep It Greasey, Village of the Sun, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, City of Tiny Lights, Baby Snakes, Sofa#2, Packard Goose, I Have Been in You, Flakes, Magic Fingers, Don't Eat the Yellow Snow, Nanook Rubs It, St Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast, Father O'Blivion, Bamboozled by Love,Sy Borg,Little House I Used to Live in.<br>Flakes is superb! There's a great little riff going on in the background during the "I am a moron...." lyrics.<br>I think it's the same tracks as the "Sheik's Rehearsals" boot (which is in fact rehearsals for the tour after SY not rehearsals for the album)<br><br>29-Sep 1980, UMRK, Los Angeles, CA <br>45 min, B+ <br>Wet T-Shirt Nite, In France, We're Turning Again, Willing Suspension Of Disbelief (incl. Twenty-One, Oh! Suzannah)/Peaches En Regalia, The Torture Never Stops/Wooly Bully, Goblin Girl, Heavenly Bank Account, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, I'm So Cute, Dumb All Over, The Blue Light, Drowning Witch, The Blue Light<br><br>22-Sep 1980, UMRK, Los Angeles, CA <br>40 min, A- <br>The Torture Never Stops, Daddy Daddy Daddy, We're Turning Again, My Sharona<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:45 pm 

20-Sep 1980, UMRK, Los Angeles, CA <br>45 min, B/B+<br>Tinseltown Rebellion, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, I'm So Cute, You Didn't Try To Call Me, Flakes, I Have Been In You, Shall We Take Ourselves Seriously?, Peaches En Regalia<br><br>1-Oct 1980, UMRK, Los Angeles, CA <br>45 min, B <br>Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, You Didn't Try To Call Me, I'm So Cute riff, Tinseltown Rebellion <br><br>5-Oct 1980, UMRK, Los Angeles, CA <br>45 min, B/B+<br>We're Turning Again, Dead Girls Of London, Tinseltown Rebellion, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, Wet T-Shirt Nite, Shall We Take Ourselves Seriously?, Dead Girls Of London, Tell Me You Love Me, I'm So Cute/Mo's Vacation, You Didn't Try To Call Me, Rubber Girl, Pick Me I'm Clean<br><br>14 Sep 1981 UMRK<br>44 min, B+<br>Yo Mama, Any Kind Of Pain, Kaiser Rolls, Envelopes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:36 pm 

Man, I'm ready to pop my cork reading this thread!<br><br>Of all the Zappa stuff that I could get my hands on, rehearsal recordings are the things that I'm most interested in. Real-time miniature documentaries of "The birthing process." I had no idea that this stuff was out there, especially in these quantities. I knew they HAD to exist. <br><br>Feeling....depressed...now.<br>Feeling....big....unfulfilled....hole....in my life.<br>Must...get....copies.<br>But...How? Where?<br>Image<br>AHHHHHHHHHH!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:05 pm 

the thing-fish rehearsals/demos are also quite interesting...lots of oddities & stuff that didn't make the album

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:46 pm 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=albums;num=1091028287;start=0#10 date=07/28/04 at 17:00:48]I have a rehearsal boot with Lisa Popeil. [/quote]<br>I wonder...Any relation to Ron Popeil, American icon for the past 40 years, inventor of numerous kitchen gadgets such as the Veg-O-Matic, Inside-The-Shell Egg Scrambler and The Pocket Fisherman? :o<br><br>Image  http://shop.ronco.com/<br><br>One of the great pitch-men of our time, and he's still doing it. ;D<br><br>A real old-school American; back when WE used to invent the crap we bought. <br>Those days seem to be all but gone. ::) *sigh*<br><br>[hr]"Properly packaged, you can sell anything to an American"  -Frank Zappa ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:36 pm 

Yes, Swifty, Lisa was/is Ron Popeil's daughter ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:49 pm 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=albums;num=1091028287;start=0#13 date=07/28/04 at 21:36:20]Yes, Swifty, Lisa was/is Ron Popeil's daughter ;)[/quote]<br>Thanks, Dovey! :D<br>I can easily imagine her Dad and Frank having a great time talking about marketing, inventions, etc. I wonder if she'll take over the family biz someday? If she's gone anywhere with music, it would be news to me-- never heard of her before now.